Wife-Approved Trailer with Shower/Toilet/Bed AND Off-road Capable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD | ADGU
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.yotamd.com
I'm trailer-dumb and all my google-fu is failing me. I'm sure you all already have this figured out, so I appreciate the insight.

Wants:
Shower
Toilet
Bed
Off-road ability for mild-moderate trails

My wife likes parts of wheeling/camping, but lack of shower and toilet are becoming deal breakers as we add kid(s) to the mix. It seems a simple trailer with a shower, toilet and bed should exist. I can't seem to find much aside from the $25k+ 17 ft options (Jayco SLX) and that just seems like overkill.

Am I missing a segment? Are there no simple off-road trailers with onboard showers? Are we doomed to the KOA with a lame trailer or some luxury yacht that's going to replace my daughter's college fund?

Thanks!

Find a used Escape 17B (fiberglass bathtub shell) and do a little mod work and you're there. I'm doing the same with a 15A (B variant had bathroom, A variant did not). Won't be something you want to drag over Pearl Pass but for FS/BLM roads/trails it will work just fine.

Add a lift (buy and install); larger LT rated tires, get rid of the POS fridge/freeze and furnace provided and swap in an Espar heater & Dometic drawer style fridge/freeze and a couple other little things and you should be well under $25k depending upon your price of entry on a used Escape.

Start here: Escape Trailer Owners Community

Our 15A:

^ Then look for a 15A/B. They're rare as only 57 were made but they do come up for sale as evidenced by us finally finding one about a year ago.

And then there's the Trillium 4500 and 5500. 4500 aren't too hard to find but the 5500 is fairly rare. And then there's Scamp but they're not 'glass bottom...horseshoe fiberglass with plywood bottom. More often than not the floors are rotted...hence my reason for full fiberglass. Plus at 6'2" ID I don't have to hunch over in the Escape.

And then there's the Trillium 4500 and 5500. 4500 aren't too hard to find but the 5500 is fairly rare. And then there's Scamp but they're not 'glass bottom...horseshoe fiberglass with plywood bottom. More often than not the floors are rotted...hence my reason for full fiberglass. Plus at 6'2" ID I don't have to hunch over in the Escape.

I'm reading that the fiberglass tub trailers like the Scamp and I assume the Escape might not be good for extended trail driving from a durability standpoint. That seems like a legitimate concern, given the Top Gear stunts I can recall vividly in my memory, haha.

Are there any steel box framed trailers with a similar size you know of?

**Edit, I think what I had in mind was a minimalist version of this: OP 15 | OPUS Camper USA

Unfortunately, the first thing to get dropped from the feature list on all the off road trailers seems to be the things I really need to justify a trailer: toilet/shower.

1591637011378.png

^ There are choices out there but not in the $25k or under amount especially anything with an inside bath/shower. Have you looked at the TetonX Hybrid but again no inside bath/shower. And ~$35k when you add useful options. I went through similar shopping process before deciding on the Escape.

I don't have any concerns regarding the durability of our Escape given typical FS & BLM roads. I had a propensity to haul arse off-road with my then Kimberley Kamper (and my more recent Trail Tailor haul trailer) in tow and even though the trailer was designed for such use (ahem, some might say abuse) its just as hard on tow rigs too.

So, slowing down for sections of rough washboard, for instance, is the rule now; much kinder for the trailer AND the LC/LBZ as well as the driver and his co-pilot :D.

Having said that I would not want a Scamp with an inverted U shaped fiberglass structure screwed/riveted/? to a plywood bottom. One last mod I hope to do but not at the top of my current list is to remove the Torflex axle system and replace it with leaf springs & shocks to get more suspension travel, suspension compliancy as well as suspension damping. Won't be going with RV leafs though but rather something longer akin to 60-Series length. But that's a project that is a year or more out.

I have lengthened the tongue, installed a Max Coupler hitch and a few other things I mentioned previously to round out our package. I've already pulled it up, down, over and across some terrain that made Julie think "WTH are you doing" :D...but if you go slow its not a problem. But the comfort is just tops for us so we're willing to let go of the trails/destinations that would necessitate a Kimberley, etc.

Our Escape has a 1-1/2" x 3" box steel frame. Newer Escape's (17'+) utilize a 4" tall box channel steel frame (not sure if its 2x4 or what...). Casita's utilize a "C" channel frame, riveted construction, etc.

Dan

would it not be way cheaper to buy a fancy comfy outside shower tent with a water heater and budget for boxes of chocolate, flowers, and presents to be found in said tent each time it's used?

would it not be way cheaper to buy a fancy comfy outside shower tent with a water heater and budget for boxes of chocolate, flowers, and presents to be found in said tent each time it's used?
It might be. I would love an offroad trailer with a simple RTT, just not convinced I can get her on board.

Given the seeming void in the market for a simple shower/toilet/bed on wheels I might have to start down that path and see how fancy an outdoor shower I can show her. Instagram and pintrest here I come...

BUT.... are there more options if I remove the indoor shower, but keep the indoor toilet requirement? They seem to go hand in hand. I might be able to convince her on the outdoor shower, but the outdoor toilet is likely a deal-breaker I can't overcome with any amount of flowers and chocolate.

Our little 15A came with the typical cassette toilet...which hasn't gotten used to date. In fact we don't even bring it along anymore (her choice!). We have the typical Outback Privy which serves, when we're camping in the same spot for more than a night or two, for showers and PETT. The key, I've learned, for using "wag" bags is to place the used wag bag in a odor proof mylar zip bag for portaging to the next truck stop/trash dump. You can by them in bulk for not much per bag...

We thought about rigging up an inside shower but to be fair we both decided we don't like winter camping anymore and/or when its too cold to shower outside in the PortaPrivy. If you're going to live or travel more full time in the RV you'll want a dedicated toilet/bath/shower inside the trailer (d'oh)...which means, generally, you're going to be looking at trailers in the 17'/18' and longer.

I did install an Isotherm 6-gallon 120v electric water heater in the 15A. I turn it on when its being towed and it will heat the water to 160F, which provides ample shower water, dishwashing/handwashing water for a couple days or more depending. But there are plenty of solid choices for hot water production if you consider propane, diesel, engine coolant heat exchanger & electric variants.

The other neat feature of our trailer: It had a base curb weight of 1600lbs. After adding the big LFP battery, inverter, hot water heater, etc., its more than that but still very reasonable given the protection and comfort it provides.

Indoor toilet as in "waste goes into a septic tank that you drain RV-style" or simply a cassette or other variety inside the trailer? If the latter I have something in which you might be interested. I'll message you.

To answer your original question, I think you are going to have to compromise somewhere based on what I know about this trailer segment. I have similar needs and outside of a custom one-off which could actually save you some money, you're either going to be paying a pretty penny or buying a subpar product and modifying to your needs.

If you do miraculously find exactly what you're looking for please share.

Indoor toilet as in "waste goes into a septic tank that you drain RV-style" or simply a cassette or other variety inside the trailer? If the latter I have something in which you might be interested. I'll message you.

To answer your original question, I think you are going to have to compromise somewhere based on what I know about this trailer segment. I have similar needs and outside of a custom one-off which could actually save you some money, you're either going to be paying a pretty penny or buying a subpar product and modifying to your needs.

If you do miraculously find exactly what you're looking for please share.

I was thinking RV style septic (I was assuming this was indicated by the presence of a black water tank in the feature lists), but I think I may have to accept anything with a throne permanently mounted inside the structure of the trailer.

I agree on the compromise bit. I really want this future solution to accommodate dispersed camping and I'd hate to feel like I need to "baby" the trailer to keep it from bottoming out or self-destructing on easy trails.

This may turn into a custom build from an old military style trailer or something. I'm not opposed to making something from scratch as it seems my desire list is completely possible with a <12' long trailer. It's seems odd that someone hasn't already done this, though. There have to be hoards of couples out there in a similar boat that want a nice bathroom, but don't want a kitchen/dinette/closet/TV and the extra 5' of trailer that go along with it.

I will take the PETT and "Wag bags" over a typical cassette toilet, porta-potty, or toilet + black water tank any time. Our current camper has the last option and we don't use it. I'd take out the tank entirely if that didn't require total deconstruction of that corner of the camper. We put wag-bags in the toilet. Haven't had an issue with smell when the main bag is put in the secondary bag.

This forum, if you haven't already found it, might help with your search for an 'Egg': Fiberglass RV - Powered by vBulletin
If you're even close to thinking of building then the Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page forum needs a good looking at.

Is a tent trailer out of the question? I want to say that I have seen one now and then that had a inside shower. Perhaps not common, but I think they're out there.

Once my wife cooked inside my own goose was cooked. Now she won't go car camping without that option.

I will take the PETT and "Wag bags" over a typical cassette toilet, porta-potty, or toilet + black water tank any time. Our current camper has the last option and we don't use it. I'd take out the tank entirely if that didn't require total deconstruction of that corner of the camper. We put wag-bags in the toilet. Haven't had an issue with smell when the main bag is put in the secondary bag.

This forum, if you haven't already found it, might help with your search for an 'Egg': Fiberglass RV - Powered by vBulletin
If you're even close to thinking of building then the Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page forum needs a good looking at.

Is a tent trailer out of the question? I want to say that I have seen one now and then that had a inside shower. Perhaps not common, but I think they're out there.

Once my wife cooked inside my own goose was cooked. Now she won't go car camping without that option.

Alright, sounds like I need to dig more into this since you're making this 3/3 people that say the simple toilet options might be best. I'm good with whatever, but it's all about talking my wife into it. Any wife-sponsored testimonials are welcomed, haha.

I haven't looked at those forums, but I will bookmark them. Thanks!

Tent trailer - As in those small offroad trailers with an RTT mounted on them? That's my ideal setup, but essentially meaningless if you ask my wife. She'll say: "Am I showering outside with enough water to only last me 5 minutes and barely stay warm? Then no."

Well, fwiw it was my wife who bought our first PETT system, and the second one too. And it was she who decided, without any real experience with a blackwater tank, that we weren't going to use it.. That we would be using the wag-bags in the new to us camper's existing toilet.

Tent trailer as in:
And the less fully equipped and very rare:

This probably won't be well received...but this has been my experience(s): Unless a person grew up camping (anything other than a 30' deluxe multiple pop-out RV plugged in to an RV resort 😳) the chances of said GF/wife embracing/loving camping are against the odds. Wife #1 said to me: "If I have a toilet and shower I'll enjoy and go camping with you". Yeah, for about a year then all interest in "camping" dissolved. This was after I imported a Kimberley Kamper and custo'd it out (don't ask how much $$$ and toll was spent). At the end of the day I've learned sometimes "less is more".

So if your significant other doesn't have "camping" in her DNA...fogetaboutit. Take her to her favorite resort once or twice a year and then go enjoy camping with your buddies. I'm not a bet'n man but I'd still lay odds that's how most of these dealios work out anyway...

Ok, go ahead and shoot your arrows at me now 😂

^^^ What he said. I have not experienced that directly, but I have witnessed it several times over the years. All is not lost, but the odds aren't good of a "conversion."

Well, fwiw it was my wife who bought our first PETT system, and the second one too. And it was she who decided, without any real experience with a blackwater tank, that we weren't going to use it.. That we would be using the wag-bags in the new to us camper's existing toilet.

Tent trailer as in:
And the less fully equipped and very rare:

Ah yes, I call that a "pop-up". Definitely ok with that, but I'm not sure I've seen one with the interior bathroom, so I haven't spent too much time on them.

This probably won't be well received...but this has been my experience(s): Unless a person grew up camping (anything other than a 30' deluxe multiple pop-out RV plugged in to an RV resort 😳) the chances of said GF/wife embracing/loving camping are against the odds. Wife #1 said to me: "If I have a toilet and shower I'll enjoy and go camping with you". Yeah, for about a year then all interest in "camping" dissolved. This was after I imported a Kimberley Kamper and custo'd it out (don't ask how much $$$ and toll was spent). At the end of the day I've learned sometimes "less is more".

So if your significant other doesn't have "camping" in her DNA...fogetaboutit. Take her to her favorite resort once or twice a year and then go enjoy camping with your buddies. I'm not a bet'n man but I'd still lay odds that's how most of these dealios work out anyway...

Ok, go ahead and shoot your arrows at me now 😂

No, I think you're dead on. My wife did camp growing up (probably more than me!), but more of a KOA campground with showers that they drove to in their FWD econobox. I'm more into the camping where you see if you can make it 24+ hours without seeing or hearing another human being. This trailer investigation is a bit of a last ditch effort before we trade vacations (Spa getaway for a camp trip, etc..)

Friend of mine's wife's family idea of roughing it is a 3 star hotel. She embraced camping. First trip was to Ballarat CA and they arrived in the dark. He had assured her that there were at least outhouses and that it wasn't barren desert totally devoid of life. Sun rises and their tent's door is facing out across the dry lake bed. I heard a tent door zipper and then a wimper. Wasn't a good start, but he has recovered. By buying a succession of trailers & RV's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom