Who’s running the Holley sniper 2300 and is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

mrboatman

GOLD Star
Definitely let me know how it all goes. I’ll most likely be purchasing the Downey adapter kit to finish this off. I’ll be keeping my stock air cleaner so I’ll address that when it comes. Most likely fab up something.
Do a search somebody was making a adapter for the factory air cleaner to the sniper.
JP

I believe the Mosley Motors guys make the adapter to the factory air cleaner.

I bought a full kit for the 2F that I just dropped into my ‘72. I’ll be installing it over the Thanksgiving holidays hopefully.

Fj moneypit

Cubic Zirconia Member
SILVER Star

Do a search somebody was making a adapter for the factory air cleaner to the sniper.
JP
I believe the Mosley Motors guys make the adapter to the factory air cleaner.

I bought a full kit for the 2F that I just dropped into my ‘72. I’ll be installing it over the Thanksgiving holidays hopefully.
Yes Mosley Motors makes one. Depending on cost, I may get one from them (although not sure their in total production) or I may try my hand at fabbing up something.

This maybe a “stupid” question but on later model FJ40s like a 1979 with all the smog equipment.....do you recommend a total ‘desmog’ while installing the Holley Sniper? Removing smog pump, air rail, etc.? Mine is basically totally stock right now but really want to go with the Sniper for all the reasons stated above. Thanks in advance.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star

This maybe a “stupid” question but on later model FJ40s like a 1979 with all the smog equipment.....do you recommend a total ‘desmog’ while installing the Holley Sniper? Removing smog pump, air rail, etc.? Mine is basically totally stock right now but really want to go with the Sniper for all the reasons stated above. Thanks in advance.
The smog pump MUST be removed when installing a Sniper. The install manual makes this point very clear. The O2 sensor can't get an accurate reading with the smog pump adding fresh air into the exhaust stream. I would not attempt to install a Sniper on a smogged truck. I'm about to install this kit in my May79 FJ40 that has been fully desmogged for years.

Thanks.....haven’t see the install manual for the Sniper 2300 but that all makes sense. While I prefer “original”.....I really prefer easy starts and restarts and performance more. I’ll keep all that smog *&^% for the next owner if they really want to reinstall it some years from now......

GA Architect

SILVER Star

So far it's been worth every penny! Any one in the area (North of Atlanta) that wants to drive a 40 with a Sniper set up, you are more than welcome to drive mine. Ask @Advrider639 if there is a difference.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star

Just saw one installed by @TRAIL TAILOR on a FJ55 - was amazing! Just ran power and fuel to it - no vac lines or crank case vent hooked up and it ran! Smooth throttle control too. Should be a serious consideration for anyone running the F or 2F, if you don't want to mess with a Weber or other carb.

I have an 80 desmogged 40. just installed sniper. purrs like a kitten.
the only issues I had were the following:. the linkage to the throttle body is a bit tricky to get right.
(Justin at Redline Land Cruisers was very helpful. made sure that i hooked up my charcoal canister
and sent info on vacuum and fuel line routing etc. also bought the riser. fits perfectly. spend the money)
what no one told me was that I wouldnt be able to use my oem brake master cylinder with the linkage.
mind you one may be able to set it up differently but Im not sure how. the linkage barrel ends up sticking right into the bottom of the front leg where the pressure sensor threads in. I just received a single reservoir fj80 cylinder to replace my original (which sucks because it was new).
I'll probably just go ahead and do rear discs now too i guess since i have the 1 inch master.

Anyway that was the big issue I had. otherwise if its a daily driver, sniper all the way. (or fi tech i guess is probably just as good)

GA Architect

SILVER Star

I have an 80 desmogged 40. just installed sniper. purrs like a kitten.
the only issues I had were the following:. the linkage to the throttle body is a bit tricky to get right.
(Justin at Redline Land Cruisers was very helpful. made sure that i hooked up my charcoal canister
and sent info on vacuum and fuel line routing etc. also bought the riser. fits perfectly. spend the money)
what no one told me was that I wouldnt be able to use my oem brake master cylinder with the linkage.
mind you one may be able to set it up differently but Im not sure how. the linkage barrel ends up sticking right into the bottom of the front leg where the pressure sensor threads in. I just received a single reservoir fj80 cylinder to replace my original (which sucks because it was new).
I'll probably just go ahead and do rear discs now too i guess since i have the 1 inch master.

Anyway that was the big issue I had. otherwise if its a daily driver, sniper all the way. (or fi tech i guess is probably just as good)
Mind posting up some pics of the throttle linkage at the carb?

Here is mine, but I use the Mosley manifold spacer/adapter.

LDQV7228.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom