Holley Sniper 2 barrel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finally going to get my 72 fj40 running right. About 6 years ago i built a tbi setup and have never gotten it to run quite right. So I gave up and picked up a sniper kit.

Hoping to have it at least running by Friday. I built an in tank pump for my aftermarket fuel cell. I’ve had nothing but problems with in-line pumps.

I’ll be using my stock distributor with mechanical advance. Hope to upgrade to an fj60 distributor in the future ao I can set timing control up.

5B2A4A29-3F4D-4447-ADD5-ADC50727C6B0.jpeg

B49A8EA2-50F7-4425-8D01-0D3675C323C1.jpeg

70800C1A-AAE2-4CDF-A649-EE6726C95F5A.jpeg

Nice. I have been waiting to see someone e use the new 2 barrel version. I have heard nothing but good things from others that have installed the 4 barrel one.

Make sure that hose is rated to be submersible.

Glad to hear that! I am looking forward to it. It is submersible -6 pushlock aeroquip line. I actually ended up using that throughout the fuel system.
Nice. I have been waiting to see someone e use the new 2 barrel version. I have heard nothing but good things from others that have installed the 4 barrel one.

Make sure that hose is rated to be submersible.

Following. This is something I’d like to do. I’ve been acquiring parts, mostly Downey stuff from Holley carb conversions, but am trying to get my electrical sorted out first

Is that the original F engine? I don’t have that nearest third hole or even a boss above that empty manifold stud on my 11/69 head.

How does the return clear on the outlet? Are you going to use the throttle body regulator or perhaps an upstream regulator and cap the throttle body return? I was looking at Holleys returnless in tank pump kit but that’s $500

I've had the 4 barrel version on my V8 for about a year and am very happy with it. There is a bit of a learning curve though, fine tuning the ECU. I can try to help if any questions come up. Also the Holley Sniper forum is an excellent resource. Sniper EFI

I do have a couple tips for you if you're interested too.
B.

Following. This is something I’d like to do. I’ve been acquiring parts, mostly Downey stuff from Holley carb conversions, but am trying to get my electrical sorted out first

Is that the original F engine? I don’t have that nearest third hole or even a boss above that empty manifold stud on my 11/69 head.

How does the return clear on the outlet? Are you going to use the throttle body regulator or perhaps an upstream regulator and cap the throttle body return? I was looking at Holleys returnless in tank pump kit but that’s $500

Hey Ryan, it is the original F engine for my 72. That’s one of the reasons I wanted to post this because F engines don’t seem to get a ton of love.

I have to get the adapter and throttle body bolted up and see where everything lines up, it’s going to be a tight fit for all of it. I may have to built a spacer to raise the throttle body to make more clearance.

I've had the 4 barrel version on my V8 for about a year and am very happy with it. There is a bit of a learning curve though, fine tuning the ECU. I can try to help if any questions come up. Also the Holley Sniper forum is an excellent resource. Sniper EFI

I do have a couple tips for you if you're interested too.
B.

I’ve been scanning the forum a little bit. There is also a sniper Facebook page that Holley will respond to tech questions.

Definitely will take some tips!

I've just started making the FiTech or Sniper installation kits, they include the adapter, cable linkage set up, and air cleaner that clears the brake master cylinder, but I am also refining components and getting ready for full blown production- - -stay tuned

s-l64-1.jpg

s-l64.jpg

I've just started making the FiTech or Sniper installation kits, they include the adapter, cable linkage set up, and air cleaner that clears the brake master cylinder, but I am also refining components and getting ready for full blown production- - -stay tuned

View attachment 1668945

View attachment 1668946

Jim, have you bolted one of these units in using the Downey adapter? I am nervous to see what sort of clearance there is at the valve cover

Not yet, I sold the two units photoed above, but have no feed back yet. Today I actually inspected the Holley Sniper throttle body and I see no reason clearances would be any different than running a Holley 350 2 barrel. I did grab the shape/configuration I will need for the cable linkage mounting bracket, just a slight modification of the Holley 350 brackets that I have hundreds of- - -easy deal.

Very interested in watching how this works out. Finally got the carb running right but would love to go EFI in the near future.

Very interesting. Never heard of this before. Just read a bit about it. Interested to see your results. Good luck!

Holley and FiTech seem to both do the same thing, though it looks like Holley can do timing control if you can figure out a dizzy to work with it. FiTech has the better price while Holley seems to have the better customer service. It is my understanding that it uses an internal MAP sensor, air temperature, throttle position sensor, idle air control valve, along with the tech signal, O2 and engine temp sensors.

Interested to see what the 2barrel system results are like. For those that are interested, one of the other options out there is going with a true TBI system like the PO attempted to build himself. This is offered through AFI (Affordable Fuel Injection) and in the 60 forum @wngrog just did the system on his 60 and has been have good results.

Had the AFI kits been available at such an affordable price, I would have done one of them when I first ditched the carb. Don’t get me wrong I loved having fuel injection over the stock carb, plenty of pluses, but I bought a custom harness that was a wreck and I suspect is the root of my drive ability problems. I found lots of poor crimp connections and several things pinned wrong at the ecm. So after years of messing with it, I moved on.

I was strongly considering using AFIs optimum kit they just released, but couldn’t justify over $2k when all was said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom