Who has put a Toybox behind an H55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you're correct.

Someone could put one of the Mark's gearsets from AU in their splitcase for ridiculously low gearing combined with the Toybox.

They could, but totally not needed and silly. Even on difficult trails, I'm in low on the Toybox, and high range in the transfer. THere are very few times your really need the double low.

Still, Toyboxes are great, and I'm glad to hear that Marlin will again offer them. I have enjoyed mine, perhaps more than any other single mod.

I agree, hence the 'ridiculously low' description. ;)

I have found low-low to be beneficial on soft beaches when aired down. Just set the hand throttle and don't worry about spinning a tire. When I was in Baja camping on beaches I could go places the big fancy monster redneck rigs were stuck up to their axles in.

I didn't think there was an option to have a 2.28 toybox when they came out. . I believe that I may have got the very last toybox built. It was cobbled together from half an adapter plate that was in stock and the split case plate that originally was for display or something and it was anodized blue. .

Just a bit of an update on my toybox. .. I responded to this thread when I was building mine a while ago now..

This all being said I now have around 20000kms on my freshly rebuilt h55f, toybox to split case combo and so far it's been excellent. . I also went with orange45's twinstick to make it even better. . I have done two oil changes and there was zero filings on the magnetic drain plug and the oil looked great both times. .
As far as the gearing goes, I pretty much only use the 4.7s in the toy box and that's it. .I have 4.88s in my diffs also... Using the split case with the toy box is just too low for most things although I am a pretty timid wheeler and found that i have had both crawl box and rear tcase engaged a few times in some of the more technical spots. .

If anything though I would like to find a spare input for mine should I ever have any issues down the road. .. I see that a few guys had issues with worn splines earlier on and I would be angry to have a truck down for months and months because someone doesn't make the parts for the toybox anymore. .. the rest of the toybox is all common parts.. when marlin crawler actually does release the toybox again I think I will see if they can get me a spare. .

How long is your rear driveshaft?

If anything though I would like to find a spare input for mine should I ever have any issues down the road. .. I see that a few guys had issues with worn splines earlier on and I would be angry to have a truck down for months and months because someone doesn't make the parts for the toybox anymore. .. the rest of the toybox is all common parts.. when marlin crawler actually does release the toybox again I think I will see if they can get me a spare. .

This is EXACTLY why I have given up on the idea of a Toybox.
I am just making my plans to include an Atlas II/4

This is EXACTLY why I have given up on the idea of a Toybox.
I am just making my plans to include an Atlas II/4
It's probably me just being more paranoid more than anything. .. there are lots of torquey diesels with toyboxes behind them up here in Canada that have tens of thousands of kilometers on them with no issue at all... I really don't think I would be too concrned. .
There was also a lot of bad info at the time when people were putting these things together .. there were people who were either putting nothing on the toybox input splines to people who though that putting neverseize on those splines was a good idea.. probably two of the worst things that you can do. With personal experience I feel using a high quality bearing grade grease is the way to go. .. it won't break down very easily and should keep any kind of metal spline destroying friction down to nothing... that is providing the stock splines weren't too lose in the new input to begin with.
This all being said it is tough to buy a product with limited production runs and no one having spare parts and hoping that you never break anything. I guess I am not too worried being that I have a second toybox on the shelf should I ever need parts but I doubt that will happen .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom