Who has put a Toybox behind an H55? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks interesting. There are a few of us looking at getting these Toybox's. Lots of good information. Would like to see what the cause of your spline issue was.

Also I can not seem to get a price on these kits what did you guys pay for yours?

I'll pm you

I finally started disassembling the transmission to see what caused the spline wear problem, and to swap the input shaft to a B series type.

Is the 5th gear needle roller bearing supposed to be in two pieces?

I have disassembled the H55. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was an SOR rebuilt unit and it looks like it internally. I was very surprised that the 5 gear needle bearing is a two-piece design. When I was taking it apart and two pieces fell out I thought "ta-da" that's the problem. Nope, it's designed that way.

The Toybox input shaft bearing was toast. That had lots of play in it. I know I used too much silicone sealer on the H55 to Toybox adapter plate. I don't know if this could cause the Toybox input shaft bearing to starve for lube and overheat. I can't find any other explanation for the excessive shaft wear.

talk to Marlin.. I know they've changed the input bearing to a larger one... My first bearing failed and caused the gear to fail... he replaced it for free.

i post my question here sinse this is already such a good thread for toybox info..

i am working on my h55f tranny/toybox/splitcase and need some clarification.. So here is my question.. do i need the 5th gear oiler cup installed between the t-case and the toybox?? there is room and it doesnt interfere with anything when i dry fit everything. i need a speedy response on this one guys!! thanks..

i am assuming it needs to be there for extra lubrication for the bottom crawler gear bearing but i just want to make sure.. my oiler cup is broken and i will have to order one tomorrow if i need it..

toyboxoilercup.jpg

P1010872.jpg

i see that the MC24 marlin plate has it machined directly into that plate so obviously the plastic one isnt needed behind the tranny but i dont know about the one between the t-case and the toybox..

P1010874.jpg

You do not need to run the 5th gear oiler on the front case half.

Hth

Georg @ valley hybrids

You do not need to run the 5th gear oiler on the front case half.

Hth

Georg @ valley hybrids

hey georg!! thanks for the quick response.. why is it not needed?? now that i am looking at it a bit more i am assuming that the oil level is already higher than the countershaft gear in the toybox so the oiler wouldnt really be doing anything other than drowning in oil and not really directing anything..??

i have had a couple of different opinions on this with some people leaving them in there because they fit and a few people not.. no response from marlin forum..

as well, are you putting anything on the gaskets between the case halves?? i tend to use locktite brand "high tack" spray on my paper gaskets and have had good luck.. i know that you have rebuilt a lot of these now and was just wondering what works for you??

i read a thread where i think it was you showing a pic of you using "locktite 518" on gaskets or at least the 5th gear extension housing on a h55f.... i will have to do a google search.. i have used 515 tons and tons for my work as the graders and other heavy equipment seems to be glued together with that stuff now adays but am not framiliar with 518..

The oiler is really not needed since you're not trying to flush oil thru a roller bearing in this application. On top of that, since the toybox and h55f share fluid, the toybox countergear is constantly submerged in oil so there are no oiling issues.
Make sure you double check the fluid level in the trans and toybox after the first short run. I usually run them on jack stands for a few minutes and the add more oil as needed. Same goes for the split case.
I do use the 518 anaerobic sealant on all my geared component gaskets.

Hth

Georg @ valley hybrids

I haven't heard that you can't get it but I heard its hard to get cuz its never in stock. I got mine thru Georg years ago. Still haven't run it though.

Got mine thru Greorg too. Finally have it back in the Troopy attached to a 3B.

I'd kinda like to get another one in the future for a different project but not if they are unobtanium.

What's the price on one of those no pricing on Mc site. Anyone have a spare that will mount on a split case

The Toybox goes between the transfer case and the transmission.

They aren't cheap. I think I paid something along the lines of $2500.

Sorry so late , thanks for reply. Was planning to do a 93 ls400 1uz w/a440f auto but looking for an adapter to mate it to the split case for my 80 series. Anyone know who sells one. Thanks again

I talked to the guys at Marlins' early this week and it looks like they will be offering the H55F toy box again it'll be a couple of months but it should happen ...........

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

I talked to the guys at Marlins' early this week and it looks like they will be offering the H55F toy box again it'll be a couple of months but it should happen ...........

H55f -> ToyBox -> Split case? Do you know what gears in the Toy Box?

Iirc all the toyboxes were only offered with the 4.7:1 gear sets?!

I've wanted an SM420 - ToyBox -> Splitcase for a few years.
I'm not holding my breath on this.

I've just planned to go to an Atlas II instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom