White 200 owners: what are you doing with your chrome? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
No, I don't mean the color of the OWNER..

For those of us with the Blizzard Pearl or other white LC/LX, what are you doing with your chrome trim? Plasti-dip seems the easy option but I'm not sure black on white will look very good. And white/white even worse.

I did consider removing the giant door-bump trim on my 2013, but would likely need to have the paint under it polished due to 130k miles worth of buildup on the tape and such. I'm open to this idea though. My sliders will likely keep most door dings from other parties at bay.

Other details: lift gate garnish, fog lamp surround bezels, grille surround, lift gate sombrero..

I like the look of the white 4runner with black trim but they were clearly designed this way. If I just covered the chrome on a cruiser solid black it would seem too hodge podge, to me. So what are others doing?

I just wrapped mine, looks nice.

First I did black, then I did gray charcoal metallic matte. It looks awesome.

It only costs about $40 to do the side mouldings and back. The side mouldings are pretty easy. I’d give it a shot yourslelf. Pick a couple colors and just try, it’s quick to change.

I just wrapped mine, looks nice.

First I did black, then I did gray charcoal metallic matte. It looks awesome.

It only costs about $40 to do the side mouldings and back. The side mouldings are pretty easy. I’d give it a shot yourslelf. Pick a couple colors and just try, it’s quick to change.

Have any pics handy?

No, I don't mean the color of the OWNER..

For those of us with the Blizzard Pearl or other white LC/LX, what are you doing with your chrome trim? Plasti-dip seems the easy option but I'm not sure black on white will look very good

Black on white actually looks GREAT!

Maybe you missed the build I teferred to as the Storm Trooper...

@RS6tofj80 ‘s rig before he sold it...
Looked fantastic with blacked out chrome...

No matter what, you tires, window trim, wipers and more are always gonna be (relatively speaking) black. So I personally think black goes, no matter what...

You can't just easily remove the door trim, it has clips that pop into holes in the door. I think it would also leave an ugly "wrinkle" in the sheetmetal.

My plan is to find some gray 3M wrap material that matches the middle section of my RW wheels, do the door trims and the tailgate edge trim. I'm glad @Markuson posted that photo above, that's little too much black for my tastes. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube that show how to do wraps, I'm willing to give it a try, I have a nice heat gun. If I mess it up, there's a place I drive right past every day that does wraps, I'll just have them do it.

I'm also considering having the rear quarter glass covered in white. If it looks dumb or is annoying, I'll just peel it back off.

You can't just easily remove the door trim, it has clips that pop into holes in the door. I think it would also leave an ugly "wrinkle" in the sheetmetal.

My plan is to find some gray 3M wrap material that matches the middle section of my RW wheels, do the door trims and the tailgate edge trim. I'm glad @Markuson posted that photo above, that's little too much black for my tastes. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube that show how to do wraps, I'm willing to give it a try, I have a nice heat gun. If I mess it up, there's a place I drive right past every day that does wraps, I'll just have them do it.

I'm also considering having the rear quarter glass covered in white. If it looks dumb or is annoying, I'll just peel it back off.

I can't find the numbers for the earlier smaller door trim (glitch with my parts program I guess) IF its available in blizzard pearl, but the 13+ is about $250/corner. Nope.

And I agree on the storm trooper being a bit too much. Mine wouldn't have the snorkel or front bumper but still.. that's what I was thinking when I said I thought black on white would be too much with the specific location of our chrome accents.

Curious what your gray will look like.

Thinking about a carbon fibre look , not sure how it would look? Opinions?

Here are some shots:

That looks bad ass on your gold paint.. Gonna have to try that out on my white.

Thanks a ton for posting those

A few notes:

The gray i used was called “3m matte metallic charcoal” from the seller vivid creative on amazon. It’s 3m 1080. I ordered (4) 6 inch X 60 inch to do the back and side moundings.

Use a mitten to apply and 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean. A heat gun and sharpen blades are a must.

Here is a link I found to available colors.

I couldn’t find reference to these though on amazon.

@Itsky Thanks for the information man! Going to order the stuff today so I can take advantage of Monday being a federal holiday. I found the following link on Amazon, its mentioning buying 3M 94 primer and edge sealer. Did you use that stuff? Also how many did you use just on tailgate? I do not have side molding. Only plan on doing tailgate and grille

VViViD Wrap

I believe you could do the tailgate with one, but I’d buy a couple of extra for backups. I did not use anything but 70% isopropyl. I’ll add that I’m total rookie at this, so maybe I should have?

@Itsky appreciate the info! I'm a rookie too, so the less steps the less likely I will be to mess it up. The job you did looks real good in the pictures! If mine turns out looking like that I'll be happy.

This is a great thread! I am taking delivery of a new (well, left over) 2018 LC200 next week that is midnight black metallic with the terra interior. I really would like to black out the chrome and wheels as well. It looks like people have done the vinyly wrap themselves, but I know on the 2016+ LC200 there seems to be a bit more chrome in the back and front. Did folks just buy a roll and do it? The photos in this thread look great! I love the white with black trim, as my current Land Rover LR4 is white with black trim.

Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom