Which Winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ha! yeah, hard to beat an 8274. But I think the other rule-of-thumb is that the winch shouldn't be bigger than the truck's engine. ;)

I put an 8274 on a Grand Wagoneer - slotted the factory aluminum bumper to fit over a "sub-bumper" to keep a factory look. It worked on that truck - the scale was right.

bushwoodsidenew.jpg

Last edited:
ha! yeah, hard to beat an 8274. But I think the other rule-of-thumb is that the winch shouldn't be bigger than the truck's engine. ;)

I put an 8274 on a Grand Wagoneer - slotted the factory aluminum bumper to fit over a "sub-bumper" to keep a factory look. It worked on that truck - the scale was right.

View attachment 3262060
idk. i don't see a scale problem. :flipoff2:

20230223_095608.jpg

I think you solved the scale problem with the build!

is the only solution to fitting a 8274 a custom or semi-custom bumper? the challenge i have had is trying to keep it out of the radiator without sticking out like a cattle guard.

just razzing you. it doesn't really look like the 8274 is an option with your bumper.
but food for the thought, i just had a friend dump his arb(tacoma) because of the pita it is to deal with the winch inside the bumper. (m8000)
I think you solved the scale problem with the build!

Warn M8000 and don't look back. If you were near New Mexico I have a nice M8000 I picked up off Craigslist I'd sell you for what I have in it.
Hey I prolly need an m8000 for the ‘91. Let me know I’ll give it a good home. One day I’ll have all your discarded bits

...because of the pita it is to deal with the winch inside the bumper. (m8000)

Agreed. I put an m8000 in a bumper on my FJC (15 yrs ago) and at least made using it simpler - moved the remote plug to the top of the bumper and left an opening to access the lever. Any other maintenance required removing the bumper.
roof rack 3.jpg

Went looking at the Warn page to see what the weight difference is between the M8 and the 8274, couldn't find a weight listed for the M8 and didn't bother with looking for a listing for the 8274. What I did find that I thought interesting is that the 8274's on their page now are all rated 10K lbs, not the 8k that they've been since forever.

If hard, frequent use and/or long preach pulls are the expected use then the 8274 makes some sense. If you're hanging a winch on the front of anything iconic (FJ40, Early Bronco, etc.) then it fits that bill too.
I'm OK with the M8 on the front of the Blanc-Oh! because I don't expect to need it often and I can carry winch line extensions for if I run into a long reach pull.

Went looking at the Warn page to see what the weight difference is between the M8 and the 8274, couldn't find a weight listed for the M8 and didn't bother with looking for a listing for the 8274. What I did find that I thought interesting is that the 8274's on their page now are all rated 10K lbs, not the 8k that they've been since forever.
Correct. Warn upgraded the 4.5hp motor to the 6hp motor from the 9.5xp. Everybody was doing it anyways.

If I had a bottomless pocket book for 8274 upgrades then gigglepin could do a lot of damage to it.

sherpa 9500
austalian company, nice beefy industrial winch

IMG_20221220_193319.jpg

Roughly speaking 74lbs for a m8 with 100ft of steel cable. 110lbs for an 8274 with 150ft of steel cable. Weight isnt really a concern as far as I'm concerned.

The OG 8274's were underated at 8k lbs and theyre likely underated at their current 10k rating. The nice thing about the 8274's is their line length, line speed, and line brake. Realistically only upsides for people who seek and/or require the best equipment available. Realistically an evo mwhatever will work just fine 9/10 times.

I like how narrow a 8274 is. Looks perfect to me on a 80/90's Toyota of multiple build attitudes.

the reality is an ATV winch with a snatch block would work 90% of the time. But no, not doing that. I really do want keep the truck light - within in reason.

Side note: I always thought line speed was a funny performance metric. Sure, if you're competing. But really... we've all been in those long lines of trail traffic at an obstacle. The wait is rarely how fast the guy's winch is. It's usually how big the guy's ego is. And that leads to 15 attempts and/or "POP!" "Dude, that was. your (insert drivetrain part here)."

Weight is a concern of mine, sometimes I want it and other times I don't. For the FSB I didn't want it. Since the winch is mounted upside down I was able to hold the line-less M8 in place with one hand while threading in the bolts with the other.

For my 8274 install I'd really like to have a rare part that gigglepin made once and apparently won't make again. The brake cam assembly was reversed so that you could spool the line off the top of the drum. That would set the winch down about 8" lower and much more out of the airflow into a borderline too small radiator. I've debated modeling the parts and having them 3D printed out of metal.

I've had a M8000 on my car trailer for years. It's done some crazy pulls. Cars from behind barns buried to the frame, over fallen trees, locked up brakes, etc.
Don't think you'd have any problem with it on your truck.
I agree with American made sentiment...

the reality is an ATV winch with a snatch block would work 90% of the time. But no, not doing that. I really do want keep the truck light - within in reason.

Side note: I always thought line speed was a funny performance metric. Sure, if you're competing. But really... we've all been in those long lines of trail traffic at an obstacle. The wait is rarely how fast the guy's winch is. It's usually how big the guy's ego is. And that leads to 15 attempts and/or "POP!" "Dude, that was. your (insert drivetrain part here)."

I view it as more of a duty cycle performance metric rather than a get unstuck faster metric. If 2 winches have the same duty cycle and 1 is faster than the other, you can get more work done in the same duty cycle.

But if I'm stuck I'm probably just holding the button down with total disregard for anything and hoping the motor doesnt brown out and let the smoke out... at the end of the day 1 winch took more abuse than the other.

spool 100+ ft back in on an 8274, then do the same on a planetary and get back to me. 🤣

Oh I've had fast and slow winches. It's just that the difference in 15 seconds vs. 90 seconds didn't have much impact on the day. Snapping an axle instead of pulling a line definitely impacts the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom