Which points distributor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, let's say, for a '78 2F, the only distributor one could put in is a points distributor (brand new). Which one would you put in:

the 19100-61080, which is E-1968, vacuum advance and apparently has a decent curve.

Or the 19100-61180, which also has vacuum advance and apparently is a good match for early 2Fs due to the decent mechanical advance.

???

Thoughts?

Wish I had the answer; maybe @FJ40Jim can give us the skinny? I know my stock dizzy had a connection for advance and retard. I have the retard connection plugged and advance connected to carb. My rig is desmogged according to Jim's diagram.

I used the E-'68 vac advance with Pertronix for many years with good results...only changed when I got a big body FJ60 dist with the dented side cover which I am still running.

I thought all US ‘78s were electronic ignition, with advance and retard... mine was.

The vacuum module was leaking very badly, so I removed the dissy, coil and igniter and installed a D.U.I., electronic, with vacuum advance. Runs better than it ever has.

If you are simply looking at points because you can’t buy a new electronic dissy, you might consider D.U.I (davisunifiedignition.com)... just be sure it has the correct Toyota gear.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: I like the early vac adv dizzy because you can put a Pertronix in it, and keep your points for a failsafe backup. Boy Scout.

Followed 65swb45’s advice and converted a (61080) Early advancer to Pertronix’s. My 46 year old F purrs with that dissy. Starts instantly, barely any choke needed.

@pngunme Danny is right the stock dizzy is electronic, first year for it I believe. And, advance AND retard ports. I like Marks reccomendation so can run points as well! My brothers '76 runs the DUI and it runs excellent as well.

Yes, I have full electronic on my '78 and has been working flawlessly still with original dis., coil and igniter. I do have a backup igniter.

I know, I know...but, have always been fascinated with the thought of points, especially semi-transistorized, since I bought my 40 back in '88. You know, end of world scenarios :) Of course, drivers I know in my area have converted to electronic and I can see why.

I narrowed the two distributors listed above by reading the dizzyfaq in Coolerman's site and was wondering which of the two was better for the 2F.

So, I'm a bit confused by the two part numbers. The 19100-61080 at City Racer is illustrated as not having a condenser; I'm under the impression that it is used in OE applications with an igniter as it is semi-electronic or semi-transistorized? The 19100-61180 is shown with a condenser, but it is a model for later 2Fs with an igniter, correct?

The 19100-61080 does have a condenser, and points. The condenser is inside the cap, next to the points. This dizzy is ready to run, right out of the box. Appears to be easily converted to Pertronix.

61180 is a ROW 2F/3F dissy. It is not a PN for the US 75-77 ignition. Removing the condenser will allow use with the US 75-77 ignitors.

Thanks for the info about removing the condenser on the 61180. Will any damage occur to the electronic system if you run it with the condenser installed, let's say with a 77' points system for a few months?

IMG_4344.jpg

Thanks for the info about removing the condenser on the 61180. Will any damage occur to the electronic system if you run it with the condenser installed, let's say with a 77' points system for a few months?
I don't know if it would be an issue. I don't generally test things assembled incorrectly, so can't say on way or another. Ususally testing is done with everything perfect, then make a change for increased performance.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: I like the early vac adv dizzy because you can put a Pertronix in it, and keep your points for a failsafe backup. Boy Scout.
Any idea what the pertronix part number that fits in there is? I bought this dizzy and ignitor set up from you a few years back and my pertronix just died. Can't find the right replacement pertonix kit. Bought the 1662LS and the plate didn't match. Stole the plate from the dead one and got it running but would like to buy a back up. Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom