Where to spend the dollars... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post...be patient please....former owner of '91 LC80....loved it...miss it....want another one....97's are in high demand and with prices to match....often can find as new as 2003 for similar price...I've read many threads and FAQs....but here is the question again...for both on road/off road...with off road being a slightly higher priority...where do I put my money...in a 97 which needs little except (arguably) more power, but may need an expensive head gasket repair....or a 98/99 which has lockers but a weak front diff....or a 2000-2003 which will need lockers....where is the best bang for the buck?

Not being snarky, but best bang for $ is 93-94 for great trail rig. I'm in less than $10K fully built 93 (except winch) J springs kit (came with rig), new 35 KM2's, slee sliders (used), new upholstery, arb front bumper (came with), 4x4 labs rear bumper (minus swing out), factory lockers, chrome- moly front axles and birfs, 210K; runs well. But, faded paint (sides only, hood/top good) and minor oil drips and uses a quart or two between changes (valve guides, not rings).

If the 100 series keeps you from blowing cash on every mod you can find for it like this crazy fool 80 owner, perhaps the 100 is the way to go.

Unfortunately, i suspect it's a Cruiser thing, not just an 80 thing.

First post...be patient please....former owner of '91 LC80....loved it...miss it....want another one....97's are in high demand and with prices to match....often can find as new as 2003 for similar price...I've read many threads and FAQs....but here is the question again...for both on road/off road...with off road being a slightly higher priority...where do I put my money...in a 97 which needs little except (arguably) more power, but may need an expensive head gasket repair....or a 98/99 which has lockers but a weak front diff....or a 2000-2003 which will need lockers....where is the best bang for the buck?

Geez...I thought I was guilty of overusing ellipses. :eek:

BTW...love my 94

Last edited:
Best bang for your buck that can only be determined by you. How much you want to spend and what you're looking at doing. - this we don't know yet.

If you need to ask it seems that you could easily go with a 100, which are fine vehicles... Not as tough as the 80s but will get you there in most cases. If you're looking for the added luxury and comfort and price advantage for mileage then a 100 might work for you.

The thing is that for 80s owners it's rarely usually a question- would we get a 100? - we won't because we like the 80 best (with good reasons to)

A low milage 80 from 1997 would be perfect. Go find one for a decent price. Next best step, find something else and turn it into what you are looking for.

i will sell you the wife's 94 for 4K lol. Brimley is right, you can get in the 93-94 trucks for half the price and have just as good of a truck. you pay a premium for those OBD2 trucks and its just not worth it for a trail rig imo.

I have a 1997 with 151,000 miles. Interior a little rough from the hot Florida climate. But the exterior looks good. Oh, and it has lockers. PM me if you are interested.

Welcome :flipoff2:

Admittedly my 94 is diesel, it is about as good as it gets for me. I do not like the face lifted version interior, and of course the UK 94's came triple locked.

Bang for buck, I would go with Brimley on this one IMO

regards

Dave

I appreciate all the replies, and I love the combination of vehicles you guys own(I have a 03 BMW Z4, wife has a 04 Mini Cooper S, kids are driving an 00 Grand Caravan and an 01 Aztek(feel free to laugh but I got it very cheap and it is a real swiss army knife). I also realize I'm in the 80 series forum. Back to my question, I'd be ok with any $ between 1k and 15k depending on what I was getting. When I had my 91 I loved it to death(casualty of divorce) but kinda wished it had the 4.5l of the 93-97's. Figured thats what I'd get now. But so many people seem to be in love with that 4.7 V8. Didn't know if it was worth possibly replacing the 2 pinion front diff on a 98-99 to get that V8, but still have the factory lockers(or maybe the front diff would have to be aftermarket). Currently have my eye on a 97 LX450 with low miles(main difference is just softer springs right?)...and a few 100's. I don't currently have time to be off road more than on road, so it has to do some double duty.
More thoughts? Wow I made it without an elipsis!

There are many threads with dilemmas and comparisons of both, so I would recommend searching and reading. I also would recommend driving a 100 and see what you think.

I have both, the 80 is a better wheeler but the 100 is a better DD. The V8 is very nice and smooth. Throw in a harrup or ARB locker in the front diff for the 98-99 that will alleviate the weak diff. The 100 is a very capable wheeler but you really can't go more than 2" of lift without throwing big money at it.

If you want a v8, get a high mile 4th gen 4runner for cheap and beat on it till it won't go any more. :hillbilly:

But honestly, in your shoes (knowing you've previously loved an FJ80 and that you've stated a slight bias towards off road vs. on road), get an FZJ and be done with it. With a budget of up to $15k, you can get it moving faster than a 100 anyway :D

I got my '94 tripple locked truck for only $2300 but it was missing the middle row seats, the paint was pealing and it had about 40 pounds of spilled sand inside. But when I was looking for a truck I was looking for something cheap that ran and got lucky finding a 3x locked truck but I had to drive about 140 miles to get it. If you aren't in a hurry just keep scanning the net for deals and maybe expand your search radius, I was willing to go 300-400 miles from home for the right deal.

What's it cost to replace that front diff on the 98-99 100's?...easy DIY or leave it up to a pro?

How
What's it cost to replace that front diff on the 98-99 100's?...easy DIY or leave it up to a pro?

What I've heard is that if you're a pro it's easy but it's involved and you need the proper tools. Not a bolt on operation, I know of a pro who had to sell his shop and is unable to do it; without a proper garage welding gear and hoists. - the experts will chime in.

What are you looking at gaining with an 80s front end that you really need to do it on a 100?

for 15k, you could throw a v8 into a cheap FZJ80 (blown head gasket) and you would have what you want.

If you write more explicitly what you're looking at doing with your purchase maybe we can point you more in the right direction. This is what we know:

You like the 80 because you used to have one.
You're looking at something that will be more of a daily driver than a true off-roader.
The 100 is attractive to you.
Somehow independent front suspension is important, even though you'll be doing mostly daily driving.
You have up to 15g to spend.
The 3f felt underpowered so an fj or more engine is more attractive.

Technically any Toyota would or could fit this bill:
100,80, 4 runner, Tacoma, sequoia, Lx 450, 470, gx430 etc.

I got my '94 tripple locked truck for only $2300 but it was missing the middle row seats, the paint was pealing and it had about 40 pounds of spilled sand inside. But when I was looking for a truck I was looking for something cheap that ran and got lucky finding a 3x locked truck but I had to drive about 140 miles to get it. If you aren't in a hurry just keep scanning the net for deals and maybe expand your search radius, I was willing to go 300-400 miles from home for the right deal.

How many miles were on yours? I see people selling rigs with 300k for good prices, but even if I rebuild/replace the motor I'd still have a tranny with 300k....was your high miles or did you get a steal on it due to the interior?....I think I'd like to start with one under 200k and take it to 300k myself

Btw...what's it cost to put front locker on...whether it's on an 80 or 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom