Where to get trailer pigtail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the trailer harness installed on 80. Any Idea where to get the part that plugs in here and goes to trailer I would like to get both the 4pin and the round 6 in circle plus ground in center one.

20170311_130151_resized.jpg

where is that exactly? i just installed a hitch but i already have on the way the go-to hopkins harness that is plug and pray but am curious where this connector lives. thanks.

edit: that plug might actually be the sub tank connector.

I have the trailer harness installed on 80. Any Idea where to get the part that plugs in here and goes to trailer I would like to get both the 4pin and the round 6 in circle plus ground in center one.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "trailer Harness"?

You vehicle will require a converter (which has the pigtail/4 pole flat connector as part of it).

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

Then if you want a Six pole connector (for horse trailer/other) you would just use an adapter.

Adapter 4 Pole to 6 Pole Tow Ready Wiring 30637

It has a"T-harness" between the tail lights. Just missing the "tail" that plugs in to go to the trailer. The "down" leg of the "T" The Pict shows the plug in point.

It has a"T-harness" between the tail lights. Just missing the "tail" that plugs in to go to the trailer. The "down" leg of the "T" The Pict shows the plug in point.
Follow that wiring back to the 'converter'. See if there is a manufacturers name/label on the converter. Some converters have a replaceable pigtail, but you'll need to know who makes the converter. We have no idea based on a photo of a connector.

IF you do not find a converter then the wiring is not what you think it is. Did you install this?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was told my 93 had the harness and only needed the part that goes the trailer. Their is no controller, just the plug shown above in the middle of the rear bumper/cross member. It may be for something else like subtank mentioned above.

Even better!
Edit: I just checked Amazon and the ad indicates the pigtail doesn't fit Land Cruisers. IF you've used them from this vendor before, I'd feel comfortable ordering them.
If you select 1997 lc it says it fits. I'm not aware of and difference between years in that wiring.

If you look around the PS of the rear cross harness you should see a 2 position and three position plugs bundled together.

Just spade connectors in a basic plug configuration

Not sure I understand what you mean by "trailer Harness"?

You vehicle will require a converter (which has the pigtail/4 pole flat connector as part of it).

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

Then if you want a Six pole connector (for horse trailer/other) you would just use an adapter.

Adapter 4 Pole to 6 Pole Tow Ready Wiring 30637

What flintknapper said. I have a flat 4 + 7 pin RV and trailer brakes wired on my '97 LC.

I used the first one he listed with this: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires etrailer Accessories and Parts ETBC7

If you select 1997 lc it says it fits. I'm not aware of and difference between years in that wiring.

If you look around the PS of the rear cross harness you should see a 2 position and three position plugs bundled together.

Just spade connectors in a basic plug configuration
Makes sense; I just checked for my '94 and '95. I need to look at the harness. Thanks.

I was told my 93 had the harness and only needed the part that goes the trailer. Their is no controller, just the plug shown above in the middle of the rear bumper/cross member. It may be for something else like subtank mentioned above.

I don't know what that connector is for, but it isn't used on my '97 for any part of the taillight converter.

The converter I use (and I believe would work for your '93 as well is):

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - Hopkins

I had to use the factory connectors behind the taillights on both sides to hook it up, then just run the 4 pole pigtail down to the hitch area.

After you have the 4 pole in place and operating, any number adapters are available 5-6-7 pole.

I'm pretty sure you got some bad information and there is no harness currently installed on your vehicle..

I don't like the hoppy because you need to run a line across the rear deck to the other side. that line has been known to short out over time.

Ran mine underneath along the existing harness, zip tied it off. But yes, I can see how that would happen otherwise.

There are also converters you can just hard wire in (splice and solder)..... that would let you avoid going side to side.

Thanks everyone. Ii was misinformed. Looks like I need to get a plug and play.
*Bump*

Morning mud :flipoff2:

What solution did you go with for a 4pin trailer plug?

I have the Delta Vehicle Systems rear bumper and ordered the slee receiver hitch I plan to install. I don't really plan to tow anything. The hitch receiver is for bike racks and accessories.

I did order a 2" receiver brake light LED insert to aid invisibility on the trail and highway. Depending on the angle the spare tire and gas cans can block the rear lights.

So, I really only need brake lights. I also have a 1997 fzj80. As @landtank mentioned I removed the very old trailer hitch and module that ran underneath my rear carpet. It was very frayed and ready to fail.

Has anyone used the Amazon product ASIN B001GBJQS4
Wondering if that connector is plug and play?

Thanks 🍻

It hard to tell from the only picture provided by Amazon what connectors it uses.

The go to device has always been the Hopkins 43405 which is a plug and play option.

Amazon product ASIN B0002RNSH8
Thanks I saw that one. I went ahead and ordered the plug and play Amazon there's a bunch of reviews for 97 and 96 Land cruisers that say that it's plug and Play.

I'll report back in a few days and report whether or not that's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom