Where to get 1HD-T big end bearings (Duraglide, Taiho?) and smokey diesel Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a new owner of a 1991 HDJ81 and am looking to sort through the truck before putting it on the road.
I went to order some ACL Duraglide big end bearings after hearing about this as a preventative maintenance item (truck has 135,000km and probably has never had them replaced).
I ordered some from a vendor and they replied that they need to get directly from manufacture and they'll be a month before they're expected to come in.

I asked around and heard that ACL no longer even makes bearings these though. Is this correct? Where do people go to get 1hd-t BEB's? I'd prefer something like Duraglide, but will settle for whatever's still on the market.

Also,
I could rent this truck out to fog neighborhoods for mosquitoes, it expels so much smoke, even after warm. Is this something that can be adjusted on the fuel pump (ie last owner turned the fuel up way too much)? Or do I need to check the injectors? I have an injector pop tester (for my Mercedes diesel) that I could check the spray pattern, I suppose. Any insights?

You will want to fit an EGT gauge if PO did not do so already, then start tuning down the smoke if it's running rich. There is a ton of information on this forum to help with that. Injectors are a possibility, but Id start with the free stuff first.

Bebs can be sourced from @Akella as well.

ACL bi-metal bearings are available, although they were out of production for a while. I prefer the tri-metal Taiho bearings.

Smoke can be caused by a wide array of factors and the type/color of smoke can help determine the cause. Water in the fuel, clogged injectors, improper timing or a blown head gasket are all possibilities.

I recommend using a couple treatments of bio kleen to start:

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

Having seen what happens to a fuel system with microbial contamination, it's worth the money to avoid a bigger problem down the road.

Also you should drain your tank and lines to make sure they are free of contaminants and water. Or use a product like this:

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/clear-diesel-fuel-tank-cleaner/

Thanks for the pointers. I ended cancelling my order (which was probably not going to be filled anyways) and am ordering some of the Taiho's from Radd Cruisers..
I was going to do a diesel purge and change the filter. This thing didn't get driven a lot - it had the timing belt done at 100k km in 1997 and it now has 135k km. I think I'll drain the tank first and clean it out. I probably should have done that before pumping 5 gallons of diesel in it last night. Nothing I'm sure that O'Reilley's waste oil container can't handle.

Cool, thanks - the bearings from Radd Cruisers are in the mail, so I will be following this.

Here it is in basically the condition it arrived straight from off the boat from Japan. Dealing now with a key that wouldn't turn in the ignition so I didn't put up a picture of the inside as the dash is all apart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom