Wheel and tire fitting on FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's the new guy again, looking for answers to simple questions or simply good advice.

So I bought this FJ with large tires (33x12.5 on a 15" rim 6lug). Super good shape.

I'd like to find a easier rolling tire for more "daily commute stuff". Cragislist has a ton of options on new FJCruiser wheels where other people have upgraded.

Here is the question:
Would the FJCruiser wheels fit? how about the offset?

As always, any and all advice welcome and appreciated.

6 on 5.5 is the standard. 3.5 inch backspacing is needed. HOWEVER. the center hole is the key. Some center holes are not big enough to fit over the front hubs for the lock out on the FJ40.

They have way too much backspacing. If you don't mind thick aluminum spacers, they can be made to work. Steel 15" rockcrawler rims from Summit Racing are the easiest choice. You want 3.5" backspacing.

3.5" back spacing is the max you want to run without spacers. Anything greater will cause the rim and / or wheel weights to rub the tye rod ends.

After market rims that fit 4x4 chevy or toyota trucks have a large enough center opening and same bolt pattern.

I have wheels off a late 80's chevy/gmc blazer/suburban, I opened the center to fit the front hub/rear hub . They clear the tre's by about a 1/8.
PICT0004_1.JPG
PICT0008_1.JPG
PICT0011_1.JPG

I don't know if you would have a back spacing issue with the FJ Cruiser rim, as it is a 17" rim, but I'm not sure if the hole spacing is the same as the old FJ's. I think it's different.

They're all the same bolt pattern, any truck with a solid axle should have the right offset, even solid axle chevies. As was said, the center hole is smaller on a stock chevy wheel. Any solid axle toyota or old school aftermarket wheel will fit.

Hi All:

I dunno if ALL FJ Cruisers come with 17 inch wheels, but I have heard that to run these 17 inch wheels on a solid front axle Toyota requires wheel spacers due to the back spacing of the 17 inch rims.

Consider getting some wheels from a FJ60/62. These will have the correct back spacing for your rig, and can be fitted with 33X9.5 or 33X10.5 all terrain tires.

Regards,

Alan

Doc,

I am looking to replace some black steel wheels loaded with deteriorated Super Swampers on a 1972 FJ40. This olive FJ photo is precisely what I am looking for both on the look of the wheel and the more street oriented tires. Can you post the specifics on them?

If you want the FJ Cruiser wheels you WILL have to run thick aluminum spacers. I did it and I LOVE the look. The spacers aren't too bad a price, got mine off eBay. Here is a shot of the 44 with the black 17"ers.

attachment.php

They were 1.5". Look up landcruiser wheel spacers on eBay. They do not need to be hub centric.

black ones are the way to go for me. Thanks!
I looked up the spacers on Ebay and they are $90

black ones are the way to go for me. Thanks!
I looked up the spacers on Ebay and they are $90

Make sure your getting 4. Some are sold in pairs, others are for all 4...which are usually around $140. If you can get 4 for $90...ya better snatch 'em up.

Another self proclaimed 'Rookie' chimming in,...My research on this forum was that a skinny wheel (10.50) wheel will provide the best ride for daily driving. This means your wheels should be 15x8.

I went with Unique 15x8 steel wheels and 33x10.50x15 BFG AT KO for my daily driver.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom