Wheel and tire fitting on FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thread Revival

Anyone used 80 series alloys on a 40? 16x8, and I'm sure they'd require spacers.Trying to decide whether I like this look.:hmm:

FJ Cruiser Steelies are 17 inch, the aluminum wheels are 16s.

They appear to fit from some of the pictures that I have pulled up

attachment.php

Doc
Just to make sure, because I really like the wheels in this photo, what exact vehicle are they from and are they 16" or 17"? I am guessing from the context that they are 16" from an FJ Cruiser but want to make sure. And the offset is 3.5"--correct? What size tires are in this photo? Lots of questions and very grateful for your answers. Don

Don, the wheels are the standard six spoke FJ Cruiser alloy. They're 16" wheels. You will need at least an inch of spacing between the wheel and hub (AKA a big spacer).

Last edited:
These are from a Sequia. I will install with 1.5" spacers.
IMG_3127.jpg
IMG_3126.jpg

What is the opinion of these steel wheels from Summit Racing? I have 33 / 12.5 / 15 new tires I would like to use and need new wheels. These wheels look original but they are 8 in wide (15" diameter). My main concern is they have 4.0 inches of back spacing. Will that make the extra wide tires rub?

Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels 12-580604

@mgenotte - I have a set of 15 x 6 Vintiques Smoothies. They don’t work. The welds rub the brake calipers both front & rear. Not exact answer for your question but hope it helps.

Thanks so much for the info @Rigger. I ordered them a few days ago. Hope they are free to return. Did you return yours or were you able to make them work?

Question, is the concern with aluminum wheels primarily the front wheels rubbing the tie rods which would require the 3.5 inch back spacing for 15” wheels or is it the tires rubbing on the springs/fenders???

I am looking at installing 17" X 9” wheels on my 1970 axels with 34” X 11.5” tires with front and rear disk brakes (rear is a Man-A-Fre conversion). I have dry fit the wheels (wheels Only) on the front hub/rotors to see if the will clear and the 17” wheels moves the wheel lip beyond the tie rods with no spacer, so I assume no problem there.

These wheels have a 4.5 inch backspace with a really thick aluminum center hub. Because of the thick center hub the wheel face extends out about 1/4“ over the manual lockout hub bolts, no real issue there other than appearance (see pics). I am doing a frame off restoration so I can’t at this time tell if there is going to be any rubbing issues with the fenders or body. I have a 2” Old Man EMU spring lift kit installed and plan to install a 1” body lift. I have attached a few pictures if that helps, any advice will be appreciated.
3_4.jpg
2_4.jpg
1_5.jpg

0824171727.jpg
0828171041.jpg
Another option may be the 16x8 steel 5 slot rims off the T100 pickups from the late 90's. I have these on my solid axle 4Runner. They have a back spacing similar to the stock wheels I think. They look good and can be painted easily. I recently put a set of the 15x6 chrome Toyota Fj60 wheels on my FJ40 with 33x10.5R15's. Looks and rolls nice. The truck had some great black 15x8 steel aftermarket with the proper FJ40 offset but I opted for a brighter "color" wheel tire package. Black wheels in storage in case I change my mind. You can see the slight sidewall bulge on the chrome wheels which are 6" vs. 8" wide.

My wheels and tires seem okay but it is close.

Some 15” rims rub on the tie rod ends. A 17” rim should have no issue there. The rim size should not make a difference w clearance w the leaf springs, steering mechanism, or fender wells but the tire size and back spacing will. My guess is that 4.5” back spacing and 34” x 11.5” will be fine on back. On the front, I think you are just going to have to put it together and see.

My '70 came with ION wheels, 15 X 7". No clearance issues, no spacers required. My '79 had a stock type of wheel. They do not have hubcap clips and are stamped made in Colombia (the 40 tag says made in Japan, but it is definitely a non-USA model). I had the steel wheels powder coated and mounted 215/75-15's. In the picture you see the Hankook MT's 235/75-15. They are definitely larger in diameter as well as a little wider. I'm not happy with the 215's. I am looking at ION rims in the 16 X 8 size. When looking at rims, and going wider, one has to keep in mind the effect on offset and backspacing. The stock rims are centered (5.5" + 1" for rim flange divided by 2 equals 3 1/4" which is factory spec for backspacing), so if you add 2 1/2" AND it is still centered you are moving the wheel outboard. I am happy with the General AT-2 tread, much quieter than the Hankook MT's. So I am looking into the 235/85-16 tire, but only if I can get the ION rims. Not so easy here in Ecuador where we have a much smaller market than the USA.

DSCN5322.JPG

DSCN5323.JPG

DSCN5958.JPG

DSCN5959.JPG

Hello, so I finally decide to register here after years of just feeding the great info that this forum has. Between this one and Tacomaworld I can probanly find DIY answer for anything. I just bought my first FJ40 2 months ago and I cannot stop working and thinking about things I want to work on it. Here is a pic of my new tires. I decide to get te real pizza cutter. This will work great especially for this Ohio clay/mud mix

I might start a tread about my built so people can alway suggest things and see the progress many dad my little brother and have on it

3F2D8C09-4AD5-4791-8FEF-FFB2413D10B6.jpeg

wow, trying to find a 16 inch wheel to fit the 79' is not an easy task! Dad does not want to spring for the Cityracers :frown:

ok, 5.5 is = to 139.7 (lug pattern) right?

As far as spacers are concerned, and offset, do the numbers add up? For example, does a 4.5 offset require a 1 inch spacer (to fit OE specs of 3.5)?

on the 17" FJs (BJ44V)^^^ can you squeeze a skinny on those, like sub 10.5"? nice looking 40 BTW dig the blue, those wheels look like the 100 series split style. ANybody tried mounting OE wheel caps on those?

ION 8" X 16". I think they sell for less than $100 each in USA. I paid $1,150 for wheels and tires here in Ecuador. Second picture shows the "original" Selectro hubs, the ION cap would not clear them so I put new Aisan freewheel hubs on while doing the knuckle/wheel bearing stuff. This is a non-USA 40 with FJ45 drums on the front (larger and wider than the rear).

DSCN6781.JPG

DSCN6479.JPG

@ryan greathouse theseare the steelies that come as spare tire on the Tacomas 05-15. It is a 16” wheel. I believe it has a 4.5 backspace and they work great with a 1.25” wheel spacers. I’m just waiting for my extended shackles to get bigger tires

C9105D79-7139-40ED-879D-30D3E84C6898.jpeg

9C6F7DB5-BCAD-4E51-B4A1-5D7B173E9CCA.jpeg

Nice find ^^^ those look great. Add some clips and some gray paint and I’m in business. Time to call the wrecking yards...

Hello, so I finally decide to register here after years of just feeding the great info that this forum has. Between this one and Tacomaworld I can probanly find DIY answer for anything. I just bought my first FJ40 2 months ago and I cannot stop working and thinking about things I want to work on it. Here is a pic of my new tires. I decide to get te real pizza cutter. This will work great especially for this Ohio clay/mud mix

I might start a tread about my built so people can alway suggest things and see the progress many dad my little brother and have on it

View attachment 1582009

What brand and size are those new tires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom