What tools, 300 mile trip to pick up my first LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm taking a small road trip to possibly pick up not only my first LC, but first Toyota. Return trip will be about 300 miles of all interstate/highway. LC is a 2000, higher mileage, but recent belts, water pump, and good tires.

I did a search of the 100 section only, but I couldn't find a list of what tools you guys take with you. I just want to make sure if there is a common part that needs a random size socket I have it with me. For example, I'm coming from Jeep world, which means I keep Torx sockets in my vehicle...

So... what tools do I need to take with me?

I promise if all goes well I'll come back and do a proper introduction with lots of pics...

You can go a long way with a metric socket set and metric wrenches, and your basics (screwdrivers, pliers, etc)

Unless you're bringing it back across the continental divide route....Good Sam or AAA membership card should get you out of mechanical trouble and home.

One project you might want to tackle in the parking lot before you start your drive is the heater Tees. They will ruin your trip if they go, aren't changed by most dealers when serviced, and they cost $5.

Credit card, sun glasses, driving gloves, comfortable clothes, camera/smart phone (photos/tunes), fave beverage cup . . . That's all I got. Have a fun trip.

Even if all doesn't go well, come back and report! We like all sorts of pics on good and bad trips!

Like others have said , 300 miles is nothing...

millimeter 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22 (wheel lug nut).
Check spare tire pressure, jack kit, wheel lock keys (wheels and spare wheel)
Check Engine oil, coolant level in the radiator (when the engine is COLD) and reservoir, Transmission fluid level, Power steering fluid level.
Keep extra distilled water incase you have to add into the coolant system.

Inspect any oil leaks from front, rear and center diffs. IF there are leaks, have extra gear oil. 24 mm box socket for diff bolts.

300 miles is nothing but you are driving a car that you don't know anything about.

I was lucky, the seller brought it to my door!

Shouldn't need more than what is provided by the factory tool kit.

"Driving gloves"... are you s***ting me?!

I have carried tools with me for 10 years and 80k miles. I've needed them exactly one time. The key broke off in the ignition and i needed pliers to turn the key to start the truck. That's it, these trucks are super reliable.

Tire pressure gauge. Use it before or after you check to make sure it has oil, trans fluid, ps fluid, brake fluid and coolant. Other than that, put gas in it and take the long way home. :steer:

Just drove mine 500 miles home, no issues at all. Brought a few sockets, wrenches and such.
Enjoy the drive!

Daisy

IMG_3302.JPG
Well I'm on my way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom