What to use to clean early head liners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we are making good progress getting the interior stripped to clean up all the mold we had in our 93. We picked up a complete interior (carpet and seats) from another forum member from a 94 and have thrown away all the other mold ridden seats and carpet. I did remove all parts from the seats that could be used and threw them in the ol spare parts bin also. I have read a lot about these early head liners and how they are a big pain in the butt.. Mine is in good shape just dirty and smelly. Anybody out there have a good way to clean the early head liners that can't be removed easily? I have a little mold around the sun roof where the leak was. I was thinking maybe vinegar and dish soap.. Vinegar is supposed to be good at killing the mold. I just don't want to get in there, start cleaning and have the head liner come apart on us.. Any tips would be greatly appreciated..

mD0PzebxMTp1C5lL1G6ePVFuLIc-fbjEfrJCu6JljUXk9_c86VBUcCdsMYdQtunMXADGywCjzB9Whc5cFEYhFJeq1gnWFiy5lBc15taATexPCfilBYWIRB49KO3CLf4q77FgYbXa7zV2q-GO9b3rUuhKu-vz2J_uMzpfcof3Pk4HIQX02-nrDkFAsyfk0-94pPEZFjnSIPOJKZLMI8eHU9m5S4TUdUd_j4qJklELhzMEdFYHa1xI0cc_BOCLPrNQYwHF2pqUAFedvGxBBi9GD3HGSuiabpIVbEXmpBbEGhR6Tak03ymLjZhwtfyPBCx2XUm4croM39v1ahbhyvE0EW_bgrLa0YQ-hM2pmD_RlukSd-JhLVaiXddKv6MDPxJy5w43JWA0kIVDAgxhM2LGMD72k82VQ1IkMpUW3zDAjT-WfZdX0514uBVTq8VDNAY4nDfqyAghDVCq2JLjGv1ZDFzxZIcLxEBxaedPcK2wkwDhCSkM4ySfzSJ4VkgFLbCKWL7VgAbO9BtUThV8jUX1HqFpDA6Az1hnWLtb5iiA47OZrSQDJcM1YRPr6U80kz4XZPdCaLIgNHNyWrmxcB_tKfVzxkP1kHq8WYncEt8IcvZ93wvYnVcf=w1683-h950-no

not sure on the early ones, but assuming they are the same fabric as my 96, I used some spray automotive foam upholstery cleaner. I blotted slowly as I went after I let the foam sit for a few minutes, one area at a time, it came fairly clean. The fabric is just cardboard with a layer of fabric and if scrubbed back and forth will get ruined. I tried to be as gentle as possible, thus the blotting and maybe some small circular movemements.

not sure on the early ones, but assuming they are the same fabric as my 96, I used some spray automotive foam upholstery cleaner. I blotted slowly as I went after I let the foam sit for a few minutes, one area at a time, it came fairly clean. The fabric is just cardboard with a layer of fabric and if scrubbed back and forth will get ruined. I tried to be as gentle as possible, thus the blotting and maybe some small circular movemements.
The 91-94 are not the same as 95-97. The earlier ones are just stretched fabric with bows. It doesn't have a cardboard backing like the later models.

I don't have any tried and proven methods or tools for cleaning the fabric headliner. I'm a big fan of Simple Green for cleaning nasty stains and stinky carpet, so perhaps you could use it for the headliner, as well? I used Simple Green on my '84 FJ60, but that headliner was more of a vinyl than a fabric like the 91-94 models. If I were to do it, I'd probably start by using Simple Green with a soft bristled nylon brush, work it in, then try to rinse by brushing in a vinegar/water mixture. However, I'd try not to saturate the headliner too much for fear of creating more moisture issues (mold, mildew, etc.). It would probably be a good idea to leave the vehicle parked in the garage with the windows down for a few days to air out after you're done...

Good luck!

I just did my '94 headliner. I used a regular carpet cleaner in my carpet cleaning vac. I was shocked at the colour of the water when i was finished. I cant say i noticed a huge visual difference but i am older now and dont spend the same the same time looking up there...if you know what i mean. But it sure looks clean and the smell is gone....happy days

I was going to say something like a Mean Green Junior upholstery steamer, or something along those lines, like $60-$70 bucks at Wally World. Then charge your buddies $30 a shot to recover your cash!

Cool thanks for the ideas everyone.. I may rent a rug doctor and use the upholstery attachment to clean it with.. Need to do some carpets in the house anyhow, two birds one stone ;>) I'll post back my results when I get them.. I soaked the seat belts in a water\vinegar\dish soap solution last night.. Man the water was gross it was a nasty brownish yellow color. After a good rinse the belts look like new now.

"Awsome" from the 99 cent store works great. Just look on the back of the bottle for the dilution mix.

"Awsome" from the 99 cent store works great. Just look on the back of the bottle for the dilution mix.

Somebody turned me onto that stuff a couple of years ago, it's the only thing I use now! I don't know what they put in that stuff, but NOBODY else can touch it! ....and yes, I've tried everything!

Somebody turned me onto that stuff a couple of years ago, it's the only thing I use now! I don't know what they put in that stuff, but NOBODY else can touch it! ....and yes, I've tried everything!

My family has been using it for about 20+years. My grandfather owned a janitorial business and he used it daily.

It will clean your carpets pretty good. Or your driveway, or your clothes, or your walls, or your bbq grill. It's all in the mixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom