What size of fridge do you run? (1 Viewer)

What Size Fridge Do You Have?

• ARB 37qt

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • ARB 50qt

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • ARB 63qt

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • ARB 82qt

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oakleyguy

Resident Engineer
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

Been thinking of getting a fridge setup for my truck. I've been searching around the threads and know many of you have them, ARB especially. Question is, what capacity do you run and if you could do it over again would you stay the same, or upsize?

I only put the ARB sizes for simplicity sake, but pick on the closest to what you have and pencil in the rest below!

EDIT: Markuson had a good point,

Assumed case 2 people for about four days.

Otherwise, just post up what you have so we can get a feel for the spread out there.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Been thinking of getting a fridge setup for my truck. I've been searching around the threads and know many of you have them, ARB especially. Question is, what capacity do you run and if you could do it over again would you stay the same, or upsize?

I only put the ARB sizes for simplicity sake, but pick on the closest to what you have and pencil in the rest below!

You might want to ask how many passengers they travel with and for how long (among other variables), since there are about a zillion use cases...

I think 50 quart is the goldilocks size. We had food for a couple days for 4 people in mine pretty easily, and there's enough room for me to still sleep in the truck next to it.

IMG_3352.JPG

2 people for a week. 35 qt. Drinks not in it until we need them cooled.

I have the 82L and it is a beast. We travel as a posse of 5. In the summer it lives full time in the trunk. It is perfect for the day, weekend or even longer trips. It is fantastic for errand running. I can stock up at Costco mid day and keep going on with my day, never worrying about the food spoiling or having to head back home or skip another stop because the food in the car will spoil while it is 100 degrees outside.

I have the ARB 50 qt from my FJ days, great fridge, great for 2 people I feel.

Now with me, wife, 2 year old, I will be selling my 50qt and going to a 60-70 qt. My wife is a pretty good cook, so I end up having more supplies in there as she makes 3 meals a day. Plus a dedicated freezer portion in becoming more of a need for my trips.

I don't know if this helps, but my trips are usually 4-6 days from resupply. I think if I was doing more weekend runs, the 50qt would still be my choice.

One thing to keep in mind is the external dimensions and how much more internal space you get for not much additional size when going from the 37qt to the 50qt. I initially wanted a 37qt to get the smallest footprint as possible, but then I realized the 50qt was exactly the same length and width and only 3.1" taller yet has 35% more internal volume. You can see the dimensions and specs here: Fridges, but it's easy to see why the 50qt is the most common size people buy.

I'll cast another vote for the 50qt. If you need more room consider repacking the contents in interior friendly dimensioned containers. A lot of purchased items waste valuable space.

Look into the National Luna also. I looked at their lineup at Equip1 in SLC. Suuuuch nice fridges. Pricey but really nice.

I'm looking at a 50-60 range. But I like the idea of rolling up to a campsite and everything I want (my beer and food) already cold, no swapping. My cooler is a 35 I think, and it's not even big enough, without ice, for much beyond a few beverages.

I use a super fancy setup that also nets me +10hp, a combination of a hard RTIC 20 for the long range/Frozen stuff for days 3 to 6, and an RTIC SoftPack 40 for days 1 to 3. Takes a bit of planning (ie I will precook and freeze, or just freeze anything I want for the latter days). I freeze water bottles as "ice" which doubles as cold ass water down the line. On trip to Moab there were three adults, we got to day 6 before we had to re-add supplies, and drank ice water the entire time (the double walled mugs are a god send).

Anyway... Mute point I know given the vote is for a real 12v, but all-in I'm $225 for both coolers as I caught both on sale, and bonus they double as portable for the beach. If you're going to use it all the time though, and always be near your truck, 12v is def the way to go, ice is for the birds.

I use a super fancy setup that also nets me +10hp, a combination of a hard RTIC 20 for the long range/Frozen stuff for days 3 to 6, and an RTIC SoftPack 40 for days 1 to 3. Takes a bit of planning (ie I will precook and freeze, or just freeze anything I want for the latter days). I freeze water bottles as "ice" which doubles as cold ass water down the line. On trip to Moab there were three adults, we got to day 6 before we had to re-add supplies, and drank ice water the entire time (the double walled mugs are a god send).

Anyway... Mute point I know given the vote is for a real 12v, but all-in I'm $225 for both coolers as I caught both on sale, and bonus they double as portable for the beach. If you're going to use it all the time though, and always be near your truck, 12v is def the way to go, ice is for the birds.
I love RTIC stuff. I got a 20 soft cooler and their 30oz mug works great in the 200 cupholder. You bring up the same point I told my brother, if you can do more of a planned trip, RTIC coolers are SO much more bang for your buck.

I think the only reason I keep going to 12v stuff is my moto of, I want to plan so good, that I don't have to plan. No matter what happens, or who I meet on the trail, or what path I take, I can go do whatever and not think twice. But that of course has cost me.

You should see my house, it has a couch, a bed, a table, and a 8 year old TV, that's it. But man, my camping setup is maximum cushy.

Would do the ARB 50QT all over again. Its been in three trucks and just now starting to show its age. For weekender trips I'll just drop groceries in it at the grocery store and start it up. For longer trips I'll pre-cool it then drop groceries into it. When there's a busy weekend on the horizon I'll just leave it loaded and running with drinks. Some of the best money ever spent on gear IMO.

I love RTIC stuff. I got a 20 soft cooler and their 30oz mug works great in the 200 cupholder. You bring up the same point I told my brother, if you can do more of a planned trip, RTIC coolers are SO much more bang for your buck.

I think the only reason I keep going to 12v stuff is my moto of, I want to plan so good, that I don't have to plan. No matter what happens, or who I meet on the trail, or what path I take, I can go do whatever and not think twice. But that of course has cost me.

You should see my house, it has a couch, a bed, a table, and a 8 year old TV, that's it. But man, my camping setup is maximum cushy.
It's hard to not plan the food. At least for me. My other hobby is smoking meats, I've got the Jim Bowie GMG so I smoke large cuts at a time. Portion into meal sized (family of 4), vac seal, and freeze. It's grab and go from there for proteins. But yeah I hear you would be nice to go to the store, throw in cooler, and be done. The other thing I've considered, and curious all your thoughts but given I travel with 4, fairly cushy setup, and packed to the brim I'm not sure we could fit a fridge without moving to the roof. it's not just the fridge, but correct me if I'm wrong you lose space not packing around the vents? I see those storage systems built around the fridge and all I see is tons of space, gone. It's not going to be an issue for two people though.

Last edited:
It's hard to not plan the food. At least for me. My other hobby is smoking meats, I've got the Jim Bowie GMG so I smoke large cuts at a time. Portion into meal sized (family of 4), vac seal, and freeze. It's grab and go from there for proteins. But yeah I hear you would be nice to go to the store, throw in cooler, and be done. The other thing I've considered, and curious all your thoughts but given I travel with 4, fairly cushy setup, and packed to the brim I'm not sure we could fit a fridge without moving to the roof it's not just the fridge, but correct me if I'm wrong you lose space not packing around the vents? I see those storage systems built around the fridge and all I see is tons of space, gone. It's not going to be an issue for two people though.
First off, your protein setup is what I strive to be able to do one day, that's for sure.

I promise this ties down, and stays below the seat backs... just barely.

But for the whole vent thing with storage systems. I agree so much with you about lost space. What's nice about an ARB fridge is the left side of it (if you're looking at it) is the exhaust side or hot side. And with where it is in the picture below, has the 3rd row seat brackets perfectly around it. It's like the perfect little heat tube for it. Then with wolf packs on the right, it gives about 2" clearance. ARB says 3" is needed.
I think that is why I haven't done drawers yet. Maybe I'm just too used to the hard way/dumb way of boxes.
IMG_3057.jpg

Either way that's: 50qt fridge, 4x RedOxx Flying boxcars (each person gets one and personal stuff can only go if it fits), 3 wolf pack boxes, two 5gal water jugs, hot water shower heater, tent heater, bag of dry food, two front runner chairs, two helinox chairs (which are awesome!), a camp toilet, shower tent, recovery bag, tools to take most of the truck apart, stove, my old med kit, camp lights, an air compressor (gone now), 40w solar panel, a S&W 500 (yea, I don't know either), and a ExPed MegaMat and sleeping bag, 3x adults, 1x toddler, RTT on top with propane tank. 3rd row seat still in. The only thing in the second row is a diaper bag.

The mega mat is not normally there (that big red thing on the left), but to open the fridge, I only have to move the stove, then I can open it. I figured it's the same work as sliding a fridge out. To get to dry food/plates and flatware, I move that top green duffle bag and the food box is right there.

It's really not bad, but I don't like living out of my truck, but more use it to transport, then live outside of it. Really everything you need is up front and ready, and things low and in the back are only for longer stays.

Well, I've detailed this thread, and I've given too much of my opinion already. So, yea, ARB 50qt, it's good. Well it's hard to keep fish frozen on the bottom, and deli meat from freezing on top, but it's pretty close.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of a trip as we speak (day 12) and with one store trip, and a few meals out, the 50qt has been perfect for the two of us (and a dog, but he does not keep things in the fridge that I know of).

@Taco2Cruiser are you saying your 3rd rows are still in there folded up AND your 2nd row is in place? Even with all that stuff in there?

@Taco2Cruiser are you saying your 3rd rows are still in there folded up AND your 2nd row is in place? Even with all that stuff in there?
Yep. But I did take out the 3rd row head rests. 2nd row bench is all the way to the rear, one side has the seat back recline two clicks.

Everything you can see, and the Wolfpacks, came from my tiny FJ setup. And I spent a lot of tape measure time getting it just right. So with switching over to a 200, you essentially gain and have all the 3rd row leg room still free. So I was able to add the shower setup and increase the amount of water I can carry.

I really thank the FJ for teaching me to just "figure it out." When you have less space than a RAV4, and you go off-road for 5 days at a time, you've got to get creative.

My tools, recovery, spare parts, everything vehicle related fits in a 12"x12"x9" area. Individuals get a 24"x10"x10" bag for clothes and personal items. That leave all that extra space for food, water, and squish camp life.

I think if I had an RTT and propane on top I could fit all that too. Really trying to fit "in" the truck for as long as I can and going to work on revamping overall setup currently (again). Trying to avoid for now strapping anything to the top other than my recovery treads. It just doesn't fit my driving style. Nor would dragging a trailer around at 55/65 mph, no thanks. Maybe some day, or maybe not. be

And the RTTs... I just can't do it. Again doesn't really fit our style, we like to setup basecamp and stay setup, then use the truck to venture from there. No matter how simple the RTT is to setup (and wife and I always discuss while mid action on trips) putting it away/setting up each day in order to use the truck wouldn't be optimal for us.

What shower are you using @Taco2Cruiser? That might be next if I can figure out a way to fit a mid-day propane tank.

I think if I had an RTT and propane on top I could fit all that too. Really trying to fit "in" the truck for as long as I can and going to work on revamping overall setup currently (again). Trying to avoid for now strapping anything to the top other than my recovery treads. It just doesn't fit my driving style. Nor would dragging a trailer around at 55/65 mph, no thanks. Maybe some day, or maybe not. be

And the RTTs... I just can't do it. Again doesn't really fit our style, we like to setup basecamp and stay setup, then use the truck to venture from there. No matter how simple the RTT is to setup (and wife and I always discuss while mid action on trips) putting it away/setting up each day in order to use the truck wouldn't be optimal for us.

What shower are you using @Taco2Cruiser? That might be next if I can figure out a way to fit a mid-day propane tank.
BOSS-XCW20 Battery Operated Shower System
It's magical on a cold night, with a shower tent and a loominoddle.

Agree on a RTT is not for your style. I have both a RTT (because unpacking tent and mattresses and bags, trying to find kinda flat ground on a mountain, stake into rocky terrain, and repacking it all everyday gets really old) and an OzTent (for off-road events where we come back to the same site for at least 3 days.

Now to take this take this tread even further away, that's why I love a Front Runner Slimline II, I can mix and match my set up so easy for the next trip.

Back to fridges, Having had my ARB 50qt for 4.5 years, I wish I would of bought this instead. Not to say the ARB hasn't been awesome, just feel we outgrew it.
60L Twin Fridge & Freezer, Stainless Steel

I had the ARB 50qt for a few years and then moved to the 63. I like the 63 more because the lower height and longer length made it easier to find/grab things. The 50qt is definitely enough room for food and drinks for 2 people, but any more than that, your space for beer is really diminishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom