what shocks for a stock 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so it appears my 75 year old mother is never going to sell or part with her one owner 97 40th with diff locks........so I guess after close to 200,000 miles on the OME shocks(went on when new or very close to it) its probably time to replace them along with some bushings. frankly I am not sure if they need replacing.....but 21 years and 200k seems to be along time on a set of shocks.

So.....what is a nice riding shock for a bone stock 80 series? She tends to like a little firmer(controlled) ride

figured I'd do shocks, sway bar bushings and see how the control arm bushings look. Other than that.....darn thing needs nothing, at 198K I replaced the original Kioto low beams with some HIR's only because she wanted some brighter low beams.

she is in Bali now........sending me pics of some nice fj40's ;)

For the price you can't beat the OEM Tokico iterations.

48511-69435 Fronts
48531-69417 Rears

They come with new bushings and the fronts will have the top lock nuts. If the truck lives in a rusty area I would recommend the retainers for the bushings and the rear lower shock bolts and the upper rear shock bracket hardware we well as they tend to get toasted.

I might actually may still have the original shocks ;)

no rust at all, its about as clean of 97 as you will find.

seeing how I am not sure(yeah I could look) what OME shocks I put on and if they still make them with the same ride...I was leary to put on another set.

in my head I was thinking OEM or Bilsten......but never had a set of Billsten's

48511-69435 Fronts
48531-69417 Rears

They come with new bushings and the fronts will have the top lock nuts. If the truck lives in a rusty area I would recommend the retainers for the bushings and the rear lower shock bolts and the upper rear shock bracket hardware we well as they tend to get toasted.

48511-69435 Fronts
48531-69417 Rears

What @beno said...hands down.

I went with fresh Tokicos all around after we bought our truck and I put a stock height OME coil set on. Worked great until I added a winch, ARB, and second battery up front. Then I had to buy something with more dampening capacity and went with the OME Nitro Sport shocks. They do what they need to do (and work well with the Tokicos on the rear, too), but can be somewhat harsh. Unless your Mom has a winch up front, she will likely find the Nitro Sports rather harsh. I'm betting she'll be happy with the the firm and restrained ride of the Tokicos.

I have run the Bilsteins and I believe they are a better riding and better handling shock than the Tokicos. That said, I currently run the tokicos because even though the Bilsteins are better, they are not 3x better as their price would suggest.

48511-69435 Fronts
48531-69417 Rears

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say, except instead of the word iterations I would have said stuff, and instead of part numbers that would have pretty much been the end of my statement. But yeah, for the price, just grab OEM, they are actually a very nicely built shock and surprisingly affordable.

I'm running new OEM shocks and OME stock height springs. Very happy with the ride.

I like my kyb monomax, ive run them on the stock springs as well as the ome stock hight with 30mm spacers. not bad for the price and you can get them on sale at shockwarehouse.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom