what ps pump is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

here's a mash of ps components I collected around 5 yrs ago. I'm finally getting around to this project and been reading all the associated threads. I intended to do the mini truck setup as I've done before myself on a 78 FJ. I do have the box bracket from JTO (not in picture) in my garage.

The big question:
I'm not thinking this pump is going to work (which was off a tercel I thought, but it's not matching other pics of tercel pumps and sure is t looking like would fit well in old smog pump location.)

I know the mini truck setup isn't the strongest , I'm ok with that as not heavy duty wheeling anytime soon.

What do you recommend I do with the parts I have ?
Ditch the pump and buy a Saginaw pump and bracket from Bill and Georg ?

thanks!

Hunter

image.jpeg

that looks like a 60 series pump to me, off of a 2H maybe. i had one on my last 45. looked snap to that

The pump is from an FJ62/3FE - mounts to the passenger side of the motor. If it were a 2F pump the port would be on the other side of the pump body. The mount in your pic looks like the smog pump bracket from a 2F.

Nick

The pump is from an FJ62/3FE - mounts to the passenger side of the motor. If it were a 2F pump the port would be on the other side of the pump body. The mount in your pic looks like the smog pump bracket from a 2F.

Nick
Nick,
You are absolutely correct that's a 2F smog pump mounting bracket. Good eye!

One nice thing about the FJ62 3FE pump (if you can find a suitable place to mount it) is that it's rebuildable. I just rebuilt mine using a kit from AutoZone (good quality seal included), a c-clip from Cdan (probably the least expensive part I bought from him - the H55f was on the other end of the scale), and a Suzuki motorcycle bearing. The Tercel pump is a good choice because it mounts easily to the smog pump bracket - I have Tercel pumps on my '71 FJ40 and '76 FJ40.

Cool thanks for the replies.

So since time is short I'll either find a spot on pass side to mount what I have (3FE) or get a Tercel Pump.

4Cruisers, do you know what year Tercel ps pumps work in the smog pump slot?

Can I use the smog pump adjuster bracket too? Or did you fab something...

Thanks,

Hunter

Cool thanks for the replies.

So since time is short I'll either find a spot on pass side to mount what I have (3FE) or get a Tercel Pump.

4Cruisers, do you know what year Tercel ps pumps work in the smog pump slot?

Can I use the smog pump adjuster bracket too? Or did you fab something...

Thanks,

Hunter

IIRC I used pumps from '84 Tercel 4WD hatchback wagons. Scrounging at the wrecking yard in Santa Fe I found that a PS pump adjusting bracket from the upper passenger side of an '84 Toyota Cressida engine would work if flipped over and moved to the driver's side for the PS pump - I had to do a little minor grinding so the belt would clear. I then took a measurement for the belt length and found the right size Gates belt at NAPA (the first photo shows the belt number). My '71 FJ40 (with a '76 2F) and my '76 FJ40 have the same exact set-up. I know at least one of the mini-truck PS gearboxes was from an '84, I think the other was an '85. So it looks like '84 was a very good year (also the same model year as the FJ60 I've had since it was new).

PS-Pump-1.jpg

PS-Pump-2.jpg

So helpful thanks

One more question, what high pressure line did you use between the mini truck gearbox and the tercel pump?

Thanks!

And if anyone needs a 3FE pump, I know a guy that has one ;)

Make an offer

Thanks to all

So helpful thanks

One more question, what high pressure line did you use between the mini truck gearbox and the tercel pump?

Thanks!

I think I got one through NAPA - I'll look through my records to see if I have a part number. I think I got the information when I did mine from Pirate4X4. I'll check there also.

John

I just took a look out in the driveway - the pump in my '76 FJ40 looks just like that.

John,

Found your pirate post on what high pressure line you used...

"I used an '85 mini-truck PS gearbox on a custom bracket and a mid-'80s Tercel 4WD hatchback PS pump on a 2F smog pump bracket (on the driver's side). I had to make a few small modifications to the bracket and pump, and add a sleeve and spacers, in order to get a long pivot bolt to work. I used the mini-truck high-pressure hose. Had to flip the PS pump pulley over to get it to align with the crankshaft pulley, and had to shop around for the correct length PS pump belt from NAPA. For the pump adjusting bracket I used a PS pump adjusting bracket from an '80s Cressida (had to grind off a little to clear the belt), and used a long spacer bolt that doubles as a water pumpbolt (had one from an early '70s FJ55 F engine out in the garage).

Sounds complicated but I didn't have to make aany custom mounting brackets for the 2F alternatoror the Tercel PS pump."

Thanks again for all of your help!

Hunter

Hunter

Most of the information I summarized in my post was based on what I gleaned from the Pirate4X4 forum - quite a few of the guys over there are also on the MUD forum. I'm glad the information is still helpful today and can continue to be passed down.

Good luck with your modification. I've been pleased with the mini-tuck gearbox/Tercel pump set-up, the '76 FJ40 sees some pretty rough 4-wheeling, but not major rock crawling.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom