What is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23

SILVER Star
Threads
And do I need to connect it/them?
15971086027872719684257371630831.jpg

I thought one was a ground that connected to this...
15971086655754449431618406162910.jpg

But Mark @65swb45 helped me by just running a ground directly to the coil. Should I reconnect this or just continue with the other ground wire I already ran?

The connection closer to the firewall I'm not sure if that was connected or to what before.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
What year is your 40? Is it desmogged? I have a Cali spec 78. The one closest to your firewall should be the temp sending unit which connects to your temper gauge. That wire comes out of the firewall. I believe the other one might also be a temp sending unit but part of the emissions system. Mine is configured a little differently. Here’s a photo.

DCC63B40-8061-43F3-8753-7C6DE4C6F9EB.jpeg

I believe they are both temp sensors. On my ‘76 40, those two sensors and the ideal fuel cutoff solenoid share the same three pin plug, the plug on my harness is up, behind the dash control lever(specifically the choke pull cable).

AD96E436-2365-44F9-9563-E182729FAFA7.jpeg

I went through @ToyotaMatt to get the parts needed to connect everything to the original wire harness. Hope this helps.

Are there two temp gauges on a ’78?

And do I need to connect it/them?
View attachment 2399866
I thought one was a ground that connected to this...
View attachment 2399868
But Mark @65swb45 helped me by just running a ground directly to the cool. Should I reconnect this or just continue with the other ground wire I already ran?

The connection closer to the firewall I'm not sure if that was connected or to what before.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Airon,

- sensor close to you fire wall guage in dash , yellow wire , w Green tracer stripe / or solid Yellow

-
sensor behind carb. is a Thermo. sensor for Smog system . MUST be good, and used as intended , if you need to obey smog it mUST be hooked up

- carb wire is your FUEL cut solenoid , needs to be replaced , in all practice seance , low cost part

- I have all 3 needed parts solutions availble w/ the reproduction boots as well

aslo a new and updates 2 wire Fuel cut

hit me up via PM , also see pics below

-
Note: i hand make each temp sender book kit in-house :)

1597112993151.png

1597113042180.png

I have NEW OEM temp. Sensor Unions as well , makes for excellent electrical ground signal contact circut NEG -

D3166492-18DA-4DC1-8526-EB7AFDC29833.jpeg

Last edited:
Aaron

IIRC, all the wires for that firewall exit point were damaged from resting on the air rail, which you have now removed. If you can get into an undamaged section of harness (would have been good to do before the vintage air install) you should be able to find the 12v key-hot for the fuel cut solenoid. The coil is the second-best choice, mostly because of the exposed wire that needs to be run. The F engines from 68-73 all ran them over the top of the VC.

Aaron

IIRC, all the wires for that firewall exit point were damaged from resting on the air rail, which you have now removed. If you can get into an undamaged section of harness (would have been good to do before the vintage air install) you should be able to find the 12v key-hot for the fuel cut solenoid. The coil is the second-best choice, mostly because of the exposed wire that needs to be run. The F engines from 68-73 all ran them over the top of the VC.

It is a 76. I'm in the process of desmogging though yes.

fire wall KEY ON HOT wire mark refers to above is a Black wire w/ yellow tracer stripe ............

Very true Mark 😜 would've been nice to handle sooner, oops, but at least it might be somewhat accessible. I'll take a look and if I can get to it without too much problem I'll contact you @ToyotaMatt for replacement parts.

generally the solenoid wire black w/ yellow stripe breaks off flush with firewall grommet , so inspect carefully , and a set of needle nose forceps to extract it if this is case

remember its KEY on hot B+ , so we don't want simply falling off inside dash and not know ?

BAD ......

it could be a solid black wire too , i have seen on a very early 2F also

@airon23 on my 2/76 CA spec 40 the temp sender nearest the firewall is an on/off sender for smog, the temp sender closer to the carb is the coolant temp sender for the dash gauge.

Here is a picture of the connector from the three wires( temp, Thermo and idle fuel cutoff solenoid). Look for the matching connector on your wire harness. This is from an 11/75 build date( ‘76 model year).
B0ACB808-E605-42A7-A804-DA0A9B4FE47C.jpeg

Here is a picture of the connector from the three wires( temp, Thermo and idle fuel cutoff solenoid). Look for the matching connector on your wire harness. This is from an 11/75 build date( ‘76 model year).
View attachment 2400226

That’s a Snappy OEM Green connector housing you got there Sam 😎

I like OEM green connectors , all of them ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom