What is this part? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

I took over my FJ62 with a bunch of spareparts, but I'm a noob and know nothing about Landcruisers just yet. I've been going through the FSM to find everyone of them, but haven't had luck with it all yet. Hope some of you will help me on some of these parts.

I'll post pictures and will appreciate every comment thrown my way.

IMG_20171128_171749.jpg

That is a failed motor mount. Throw it away.

Awesome feedback gentleman, now I know a lot more about motor mounts (googled it) and as always I feel a bit embarrassed by being schooled about something so basic in a public forum. Cheers to the internet!

It's going in the dumpster @Randy88FJ62

That's what this forum is really good at - keep the questions coming.

When the motor mount on my FJ60 failed (it's almost always the driver's side one since when you accelerate [to the extent any FJ60 accelerates] the engine tries to twist with the driver's side pulling up and the passenger side squeezing down. The motor mount is essentially two metal plates with a rubber biscuit in between them - when the rubber gets old and brittle, it will split allowing the engine to lift a little ways and cause some issues. In my case, the fan blades were hitting the fan shroud when I accelerated.

The prescribed fix is to replace it, but the design flaw still exists (namely that the integrity of the rubber pad is what keeps the two metal halves from separating. I'm a mechanical engineer, so to address the design flaw, I drilled tru the mount and put a bolt thru it and a nut on the back side with a trimmed down urethane busing acting as a washer. Finger tight with some loctite. Basically it limits the amount of lift to the length of the bolt, and the urethane "washer" provides some cushion when the mount is under tension. I used my failed motor mount for this since the rubber pad was still in good shape except for the split.

The repair entails loosening the motor mount nuts and jacking up the engine a couple of inches to pull the mount out. It's about a 2 banana job. I haven't looked, but there are prolly a few threads on MUD w pics of how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom