What is the deepest water you have had your 80 in??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
curious how deep people have gotten in water....has any one submersed the dash crossing a deep river?

Get a diesel if you want to play that game.

Just know that it's a game you will always lose, even if you win.

My personal favorite...crazy Russians!

34iqsjq.jpg
2e3wmzl.jpg
Beno.jpg
PB250064.jpg

Back in the day.... 2006 IIRC, GW National Forest when it was still open. :(

Was about a quarter way up the windshield on mine... it was over in Moab on the Dolores River, I'd crossed it a dozen times but on this crissing the bottom gave out right before I reached the far bank. It got stuck with the nose submerged and the river flowing against the windshield, water seeping into the cab. Luckily I had a snorkel and the engine never died. Locked all the axles and after a minute or two I was finally able to get her unstuck and back out.
Once I got back to dry ground I popped the hood, couldn't believe the spark plugs were still working, distributed, air box, everything was covered in water and some sediment from the river. I was one lucky SOB that day!

no pics but i have had water lapping at the bottom of the windscreen a couple of times in my last 80 without a snorkel, never aspirated any water or died. I was stuck once with water in the car level with the top of transmission tunnel but thankfully it was in a nice clean stream and not mud, I think that is just below intake and distributor height though.

As you might have read, we get some high water down here in south Louisiana I read somewhere that you can take the 80 right up to the door handles. I was forced to do that. It was VERY unsettling. It floated for a second, then settled back down to the street RIGHT as the water reached the door handles. Only had to drain the diff oil. After a few weeks, I found out a guy I know rounded the corner right as I exited the water and snapped this picture. You can't tell, but the street dips - the lowest point is right after that dumpster. I was well out of the water by the time he took that picture. That BMW was still up in a parking lot. Moments after I parked, a woman in a lexus sedan nailed this doing 10 MPH and then went car shopping.

It's not recommended, but if you are slow and steady, technically you can make it up to the door handles. I have all the goods to add diff breathers.

IMG952321.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

:rolleyes:

Hood level is the deepest I've been since going to 40" tires but when I was on 285/75r16's I had it a little further lol

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

I have crossed rivers in Russia with water up to the windows. We always travel in two or three vehicles and tie to the first one so we can pull it back if it stalls. Then once we get one vehicle across we can pull from the other side if necessary.
I have even seen some crazy russians take 100's across. Totally blew my mind

and a seat of the pants view ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom