What is the best time to visit Portsmouth Island in the spring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would be interested to know what the group thinks about the best dates for a spring visit to Portsmouth Island for a long weekend... nicest weather with least bugs?

TIA,

Jim

Don't have an exact date, but anytime before memorial day.

cheaper, less people, and the bugs don't get bad until its a consistent 80+ degrees, plus the spring tends to be a bit windier than the summer, so that helps keep the bugs away.

But again, it is an island, so there are no guarantees.

I know from past experience indeed it's before Memorial Day,

The wife and I love Ocracoke Island and learned from the locals it's before Memorial Day, we take an ATV tour for half a day to Portsmouth Island as well and the bugs aren't bad unless your near the village where a lot of vegetation is.

Learned a great tip here as well in that the misquotes are drawn to darker colors so you ladies who wear dark tights they swarm you! Ask my wife, lol...

Either way, take pics and video as it's unreal peaceful and serene!

We learned it from our ATV guide, real cool laid back island guy.

Sure enough we got to the village and one of the ladies including my wife with black tites on lost her footing and when she bent over to stop her fall it was funny and yet alarming as her rear end litterally had over 40 mosquitos on it in the blink of an eye. We actually all started running up the plank way into the grass to get to the door of the lifeguard station that the tour guide had a key to from the park service.

I believe now that's why all of the Columbia PFG, Performance Fishing Gear is usually light colored blue green orange type stuff.

A long sleeve version of one of those shirts that you can roll up into a short sleeve is almost a survival item on Portsmouth Island.

......the bugs aren't bad unless your near the village where a lot of vegetation is.
So correct. There weren't even any bugs around the fish cleaning station in the cabin area last fall but the Village was terrible. They'd find their way into the truck via the smallest window opening. Bring a much stronger bug spray than you're used to for a village trip, just in case. I've never seen so many mosquitoes land on clothing and just stay there, seemingly to wait until you got out of the wind where it's be easier for them to fly around and feast on you.

We've used Cactus Juice with good results on Cape Lookout. They sell it on amazon and at the local bait and tackle shops.

When the ferries dont run....makes for a long swim

Hmm.... Portsmouth Island ferries don't seem to have a published schedule. Their number rang to a voicemail box.

I think the vehivle Cape Lookout ferries dont run until march 16th or so. Not sure about Portsmouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom