What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (61 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to get that factory mating off. Dry ice and isopropyl alcohol.
What is the process? Does it make the original material harden up so it can be chipped off? I'd like to clean mine up too - over time it has just clumped up in places from normal wear.

Dang I wish I would known that. I was just right of you on the side of the gas station parking lot adjusting some paddle boards on a older highlander. I didn’t see the cruiser until I got back on the street. If it wasn’t for me following someone and not having my wife say something to me if I did try to go back then I would have. Just wished I seen the cruiser before I pulled onto the street.
Also when we drove on the interstate I was trying to see your shop when looking on google maps with your shop pulled up on the map but with no luck. I did however go the heritage museum.
Picture of the reservoir the day I saw you two weeks ago today. Beautiful state

View attachment 2718369

Small world! It would have been fun to say hello. We had a dozen? or so members of the Wasatch Cruisers up the canyon that day. Some fantastic 4x4 routes just above Tibble Fork Reservoir.

Our shops roof is visible from northbound I15 but you only see it for a brief moment as we are behind some other buildings.

1625099170503.png

Small world! It would have been fun to say hello. We had a dozen? or so members of the Wasatch Cruisers up the canyon that day. Some fantastic 4x4 routes just above Tibble Fork Reservoir.

Our shops roof is visible from northbound I15 but you only see it for a brief moment as we are behind some other buildings.

View attachment 2718522
I was driving both times when when I was on I15 north so it was challenging to try to look and drive around 80mph. Once driving to temple sq and once to the airport. Probably can see it going on the southbound lane.
I also have a sister that lives in West Valley just south of valley mall and works just North of fashion place mall near your shop. I actually didn’t go to her house or job. I was in town for a wedding on my wife’s side of the family.
The truck circled in the picture is where I was at facing the same direction and the arrow is where the jeep is is where you were at. All I had to do is look left.

AEE1382A-8C8F-4D69-9920-FA5A94878470.jpeg

I was driving both times when when I was on I15 north so it was challenging to try to look and drive around 80mph. Once driving to temple sq and once to the airport. Probably can see it going on the southbound lane.
I also have a sister that lives in West Valley just south of valley mall and works just North of fashion place mall near your shop. I actually didn’t go to her house or job. I was in town for a wedding on my wife’s side of the family.
The truck circled in the picture is where I was at facing the same direction and the arrow is where the jeep is is where you were at. All I had to do is look left.

View attachment 2718561
Need to go back up there another year. That’s the second time in Utah for me. First time was in 2001 about two weeks or so before 911 to help me sister move to Provo.

Need to go back up there another year. That’s the second time in Utah for me. First time was in 2001 about two weeks or so before 911 to help me sister move to Provo.

Let me know when you're coming out this way again. We have an active local club (Wasatch Cruisers) and do runs regularly.

Let me know when you're coming out this way again. We have an active local club (Wasatch Cruisers) and do runs regularly.
Will do! Thanks
My wife and I was thinking about going back when the Salt Lake Temple has its open house in 2024 I believe they said.
I did love those mountains and went to Zion park for two days. Also there was a FJ55 not far from the park sitting in someone’s driveway. I looked on google maps and it was for sale when you look at the street view. I’m sure they would still sale it.

55B37605-4682-474D-B104-69A299C4472F.jpeg

BB002D0C-C22B-4F7C-B416-21DCA6AC28E7.png

What is the process? Does it make the original material harden up so it can be chipped off? I'd like to clean mine up too - over time it has just clumped up in places from normal wear.
Process is about as basic as it can get. Apply the dry ice over the mating. Squirt the alcohol over it and wait 20-25 minutes. You’ll hear a lot of pops and groans as the metal and rubber mating freeze. Then just hit it with a hammer or a chisel from the side. Pops right off like peanut brittle. The isopropyl alcohol is the real trick as it creates a chemical bond with the mating and lowers the temp past the -140 threshold.

Im familiar with that, but given these have a natural lean back the water just sits on the backside. That is why you see the most rust in those spots. With the seats and hardtop/bikini over I’m pretty sure the water has a better chance of blowing in from underneath.
So I don’t run a top outside of a bikini and occasionally go thru mud- but I try to avoid it. Regardless, when I pulled my tank last fall it had 5-10# of mud under it. I didn’t have a plug in place. I found one on line and I plan to pull it from time to time. I can’t imagine that mud was doing any good.

In my efforts to bring my '40 back to life after sitting far too long, I couldn't get it to idle, as I found out on my road test last fall, when I had to use the "cruise control" (a bicycle gear shift lever with cable attached to throttle) at stops to keep the engine running, so I recently pulled the idle solenoid (that I have tested as working well) and the idle mix screw out and sprayed the heck out of those ports with Berryman carb spray. Followed by blasting compressed air into same holes. Repeating several times. Whatever crap from the old bad gas that must have been plugging up the idle circuit must have been blown out, as it began to idle. Didn't really want to rebuild the carb just yet.

Then used Ryan's (OTRAMM) video to perform the drop down idle set. Excellent video Ryan! I still need to perform a road test, but I'll wait for the heat to abate.

Last edited:
Will do! Thanks
My wife and I was thinking about going back when the Salt Lake Temple has its open house in 2024 I believe they said.
I did love those mountains and went to Zion park for two days. Also there was a FJ55 not far from the park sitting in someone’s driveway. I looked on google maps and it was for sale when you look at the street view. I’m sure they would still sale it.

View attachment 2718590

View attachment 2718592
And that looks like a 60 series next to it. Package deal.

And that looks like a 60 series next to it. Package deal.
I believe it’s a Jeep but could be. I should post the 55 on the 40,55 forum letting someone know about the 55. I’m not a big fan of them but know a lot of people are. I’m sure whoever has it would sell it considering it was for sale at one given time.

took my 40 up in the woods on a shakedown run. thankfully have now dealt with 95% of the shake caused by death wobble, and whats left is just a mildly unbalanced tire. glad to finally be able to drive it again after the work on a different axle, tundra disk brakes, 60 steering, front spring changes, different set of wheels/tires etc. some minor issues to button up but overall pleased with it now.

IMG_5084a.JPG

IMG_5087a.JPG

Finally after a 2 month maintenance run on her, I took her out to get a fresh full tank of......

DIESEL !!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Good thing my riding buddy has a trailer..

IMG_1957.JPG

Finally after a 2 month maintenance run on her, I took her out to get a fresh full tank of......

DIESEL !!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

No harm, no foul - drain and re-fill, prime the carb a time or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom