What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (50 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's all I fish unless I'm chasing Striped bass and False albacore in salt water.
The rod is an interpretation of a Paul Young Para 15.It was made by Dr. Jim Beasley in Tennessee.The reel is a Hardy 3-3/8" perfect Made by Jimmy Smith at Hardy Bros. back in the 1930's.

You should venture over to chit chat and check out the fly fishing thread that @Dizzy started.

Nice setup.

I’ve got a couple of old (80 years?) Abercrombie and Fitch bamboo rods from back when that brand actually was something. They’re in good shape and I’ve used them in the distant past. I’ve always wondered if they are of any value to anyone.

I’ve got a couple of old (80 years?) Abercrombie and Fitch bamboo rods from back when that brand actually was something. They’re in good shape and I’ve used them in the distant past. I’ve always wondered if they are of any value to anyone.
Any clear,close up pics? They were made for and then rebranded as A&F rods.
A common practice among sporting goods retailers with rods and reels back then.Hardy Bros. made reels for A&F which were branded with stamping or a riveted badge that are worth a few bucks to collectors of vintage tackle.
I have one such reel worth upwards of $750.00 in the collectors market.

Any clear,close up pics? They were made for and then rebranded as A&F rods.
A common practice among sporting goods retailers with rods and reels back then.Hardy Bros. made reels for A&F which were branded with stamping or a riveted badge that are worth a few bucks to collectors of vintage tackle.
I have one such reel worth upwards of $750.00 in the collectors market.
I have at least one reel, but I'm not sure right now what the make is. I'll have a look next time I'm up in Vermont (the Battenkill is in our back yard) and take some pics.

So I replaced my original body mounts yesterday with the Energy system in Red. My biggest challenge was the 2 inner/rear bolts because my rig has a rear mounted auxiliary tank which made those 2 bolts a PITA to remove. Total time 3.5 hours. I was able to drive it about 20 miles this evening. I was a bit skeptical about the positive reports I read about improved ride quality but those reports are spot on. The best way I can describe it is that there are no more reverberations or aftershocks following each bump that you drive over. The bump is the bump and that’s it. The shocks are able to do the job that they were designed to do. I also had a clunking heard and felt near the front left side that occurred whenever I was turning. That is now completely gone. This is $140 well spent. Bang (or lack thereof) for your bucks. For new owners I would move this improvement to the top of the list soon after completing your mechanical baseline. For long time owners....get it done.

B3BF26AA-12BB-4232-AED8-62A08BFB0915.jpeg

9A13A96D-B77A-4C4E-8CC5-4298D593E641.jpeg

D98CB94D-158C-46AC-AF80-FDC4A09BBD8F.jpeg

21E3A62C-0EBD-4A14-A6AA-6A3C732204ED.jpeg

288B2415-AB35-4470-B5B5-47E7FD2CC4D5.jpeg

Knocked on a door to ask about one parked behind a barn.

No answer.

So I replaced my original body mounts yesterday with the Energy system in Red. My biggest challenge was the 2 inner/rear bolts because my rig has a rear mounted auxiliary tank which made those 2 bolts a PITA to remove. Total time 3.5 hours. I was able to drive it about 20 miles this evening. I was a bit skeptical about the positive reports I read about improved ride quality but those reports are spot on. The best way I can describe it is that there are no more reverberations or aftershocks following each bump that you drive over. The bump is the bump and that’s it. The shocks are able to do the job that they were designed to do. I also had a clunking heard and felt near the front left side that occurred whenever I was turning. That is now completely gone. This is $140 well spent. Bang (or lack thereof) for your bucks. For new owners I would move this improvement to the top of the list soon after completing your mechanical baseline. For long time owners....get it done.

View attachment 2470564

View attachment 2470565

View attachment 2470566

View attachment 2470567

View attachment 2470568
Looks good dude!

View attachment 2470564

View attachment 2470565

View attachment 2470566

View attachment 2470567

View attachment 2470568
Exactly what I noticed as well after doing it. Makes the whole drive much more civilized. I had my doubts as to how much of an impact it would make but when Rick @GA Architect did it and I spoke to him about the difference it made on his rig as well I knew it was on my to do list. I think everyone should do it as you mentioned as well.👍

View attachment 2470564

View attachment 2470565

View attachment 2470566

View attachment 2470567

View attachment 2470568

Just ordered a set... I assume I will need to cut off the old body mount bolts as they are completely rusted in place (assuming I can even reach them with a grinder).

Last edited:
Just ordered a set... I assume I will need to cut off the old body mount bolts as they are completely rusted in place (assuming I can even reach them with a grinder).
Carefull, I have seen cases like this turn into full body off restaurations.

View attachment 2470564

View attachment 2470565

View attachment 2470566

View attachment 2470567

View attachment 2470568
Any special tools or technique for this?

Any special tools or technique for this?
Read through the body mount threads. I only had to use a 14mm socket wrench and a 14 mm ratchet wrench, phillips head screw driver, floor jack and a 2x4, PB blaster.
All 14 of my bolts loosened pretty easily, 2 of the 14 were difficult to access because of the auxiliary fuel tank.
Those will be easy to access if you do not have an auxiliary fuel tank.
@GA Architect had some bolts that were fused and had to use a sawzall to cut them off adding difficulty and time to his project.

You may or may not have to cut them. Soak them ahead of time with PB Blaster or similar product.
@GA Architect had to do surgery. Read his post #503 for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom