What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I sure wish mine had a USB port......... Wife's 10' Venza does..... my 09' LC does not.

I'm diggin the new H.I. avatar.

Has anyone tried using a multi usb port? I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I was thinking if you could add a usb port to the back of the head unit, you could run a separate cable to the glove box...which I think is where it should have been in the first place. If that doesn't work, I was planning on just removing the existing usb port and running it to the glove box, although I would prefer using a splitter. I just don't know how the head unit would react with two devices.

So I decided hiding the iPond behind the radio was not such a good idea, as it would be impossible to access if I needed to get to it (which I ended up needing to do as soon as I got my dash put back together).

I decided to route the USB cord behind the ash tray, up through behind the radio, down the outside of my glove box, into the area where the cabin filter is accessed and then out into the glove box itself. Now, I can keep my ipod connected from inside my glove box.

image1_zps5591f04a.jpg

image2_zpsacb868df.jpg
Nice work. Really.

I have been using the direct connect kits on all our family cars where the cable connects to the rear of the stereo, then run the cord out close to the glove box. With that, I can charge my fjone and play/control tunes with the stereo directly or with the steering wheel controls.

Question for you: With my wife's Venza, I can accomplish everything above by just connecting my iPhone to the USB port. Will the Toyota factory USB do the same (charge and play?) If so...... I'm going to investigate what's needed to update my AUX port to the newer AUX/USB port.

I'm in limbo right now due to waiting on receiving the newer iPhone, I don't want to invest in a set up for my current iPhone. Currently I have a charging wire in the bottom of my phone and a music wire running to the AUX jack, which is a mess.

So I decided hiding the iPond behind the radio was not such a good idea, as it would be impossible to access if I needed to get to it (which I ended up needing to do as soon as I got my dash put back together).

I decided to route the USB cord behind the ash tray, up through behind the radio, down the outside of my glove box, into the area where the cabin filter is accessed and then out into the glove box itself. Now, I can keep my ipod connected from inside my glove box.

image1_zps5591f04a.jpg

image2_zpsacb868df.jpg
You could have gone that extra yard MS and installed a matching wood grain cord. I'd bet your wife will agree.......

Yes, you can charge and play. Skiime, I had thought about that too. I think my next step would be to splice a USB cable to the bottom of the port and then run the spliced wire into the glove box. I do not think that connecting 2 devices would work though.

Last edited:
Would a 2009 model LC have an USB port on the rear of the stereo? If so, I like where this is heading......

If so, then my next question will be if it's as easy to get to the rear of the stereo as it was with my 100. I could have its stereo pulled out inside of 5 minutes.

The 200 stereo is just as easy. You can have it out with a flat head and and phillips head driver. I am not sure if there is a port or not. I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong. I actually hope I am, because I would love to tap into it and run the cord to the glove box too (and not worry about a wood-grained cord) :p

So I jerk the front trim off and get busy?

I'm going to look into this sometime over the weekend. The double cord mess I'm dealing with now is an embarrassment.

Although I should mention I did go out of my way to buy one black and one titanium colored cord from RadioShack in an effort to be covert and matchy matchy. Sort of my policy.

Yup. Its really really easy. You can see them do it in this video:

Thanks for the vid MS. Maybe I can get this done and also the side view mirror fix, then I'll feel like I earned the bourbon in lieu of just drinking it.

Would a 2009 model LC have an USB port on the rear of the stereo? If so, I like where this is heading......

If so, then my next question will be if it's as easy to get to the rear of the stereo as it was with my 100. I could have its stereo pulled out inside of 5 minutes.

You can always add a separate iPod adapter to your head unit. I know there are many different brands out there, but here's a cheap one I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7RN65C/?tag=ihco-20

10-4. That's the route I've gone on my other vehicles and what I'll probably end up doing here. Looking over the schematic of what you've bought off Amazon, you have to have a cord for audio and another for charging (2 total.) What I have been buying is phone brand/type specific with only one cord. Since I'm changing phones soon I don't wish to invest in something like that yet. But if there is an USB port on the back of the stereo, I can make that work with any phone for less than $20.

This is where I've been buying the connection kits in the past:

http://www.icarkits.com/?gclid=Cj0K...eRp8huMLWckzkoBXvcra8rHVFzpukEFuYIaAl9c8P8HAQ

sorry to bring it to you guys but there's no usb at the back of any of the factory headunits. I somehow managed to pull off 6 USB ports, 2 of them charge, 4 of them play to the factory system....2 of the 4 are in the rear headrest screens which also play to the front and vice versa, alot of trial and error but i got it done

here's one conveniently placed with retractable cord, charges iphones/samsung/blackberry

usb-lc2002.jpg

usb-lc200.jpg

Oh boy. Must haz.

Does the retractable charge and play? Brand/specs?

That's slick.

Not as cool as others but the cup holders are slick plastic on the bottom and even with cup adjuster my bottles would tip easy. Also misc things slide around so cut some non slip padded tape and matched to the bottom. Here is top side done so u can see difference. Now everything stays right in place. Made mistake of not flipping tape over for other side mirror effect. Doh
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411953612.477546.jpg

Oh boy. Must haz.

Does the retractable charge and play? Brand/specs?

That's slick.
love it, that's my next mod!!!

Not as cool as others but the cup holders are slick plastic on the bottom and even with cup adjuster my bottles would tip easy. Also misc things slide around so cut some non slip padded tape and matched to the bottom. Here is top side done so u can see difference. Now everything stays right in place. Made mistake of not flipping tape over for other side mirror effect. Doh View attachment 947428

Good idea.

But here is a question: Where is the insert that goes between the two cup holders? There should be a plastic piece with two adjustable arms that hold each drink and keep them from tipping over. If you had that, you wouldn't have to worry about rubber.

Good idea.

But here is a question: Where is the insert that goes between the two cup holders? There should be a plastic piece with two adjustable arms that hold each drink and keep them from tipping over. If you had that, you wouldn't have to worry about rubber.
my guess is he took it out to do the mod and will likely be putting it back in, the three click ratchet system to hold the coffee cup is about the worst design I have seen for a cup holder:) my 14k Honda civic has the 4 pieces of rubber that hold the drinks of any size really well, IMO... This is one of those things where someone tried to re-invent the wheel, I always have to grab my coffee going into a turn or it will proly flip over;) (maybe I just need the perfect size coffee cup) I may also glue a couple pieces of rubber to help hold stuff tight, just saying... One other thing I'm sure ya all already figured out but the center piece is adjustable, so you can slide it over one notch to the other side allowing for the biggie size drinks to fit:)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom