What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yesterday evening I got around to replacing my leaky power steering lines. My pump has been groaning for about a year now. After looking into it I expect the suction line (the fat res to pump line) had become hard and was pulling in air (and dirt) at the pump fitting. There was a slow leak on both fittings at the res too and was making a mess of my passenger side engine bay.

I bought some bulk Gates transmission hose and that seems to have done the trick! Drained the ps fluid, replaced the lines and added new fluid, and no more leaks and no more groaning! Messy job but quite happy with the results!

IMG_20200528_114509.jpg

Old messy, leaky lines. You can see I tried to bandaid it with hose clamps.
IMG_20200528_114530.jpg

Nasty pump fitting leak
IMG_20200528_125207.jpg

New lines, clamps and fluid
IMG_20200528_141521.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I got around to replacing my leaky power steering lines. My pump has been groaning for about a year now. After looking into it I expect the suction line (the fat res to pump line) had become hard and was pulling in air (and dirt) at the pump fitting. There was a slow leak on both fittings at the res too and was making a mess of my passenger side engine bay.

I bought some bulk Gates transmission hose and that seems to have done the trick! Drained the ps fluid, replaced the lines and added new fluid, and no more leaks and no more groaning! Messy job but quite happy with the results!

Man I love this place. I forgot how much fun it can be to have a resource at hand when your project car starts doing project car stuff and breaking boring ol' junk like PS lines. My new-to-me truck supposedly needs a new steering rack, but the guy I bought from had been told that by a tech (not confirmed) and it seems to work just fine... but I did notice that the lines from the reservoir to the rack need replacing. They're coated in goo.

Long story short, I'll be doing this messy, cheap job soon. If it still needs a rack, fine, but I'm OK betting a few bucks in cheap standard parts that it doesn't. Thanks for posting up.

Man I love this place. I forgot how much fun it can be to have a resource at hand when your project car starts doing project car stuff and breaking boring ol' junk like PS lines. My new-to-me truck supposedly needs a new steering rack, but the guy I bought from had been told that by a tech (not confirmed) and it seems to work just fine... but I did notice that the lines from the reservoir to the rack need replacing. They're coated in goo.

Long story short, I'll be doing this messy, cheap job soon. If it still needs a rack, fine, but I'm OK betting a few bucks in cheap standard parts that it doesn't. Thanks for posting up.

Same thing here. I have been running 35s for a few years now, so when it started groaning last year I feared that was the rack's death knell. However my rack still feels tight and responsive. I figured why not start small and see what happens. Got the hoses on eBay for $46 for both. Can't beat that considering Toyota wants $60 for the reservoir to pump line (fat one) and they don't sell the high pressure rack to reservoir return line.

Same thing here. I have been running 35s for a few years now, so when it started groaning last year I feared that was the rack's death knell. However my rack still feels tight and responsive. I figured why not start small and see what happens. Got the hoses on eBay for $46 for both. Can't beat that considering Toyota wants $60 for the reservoir to pump line (fat one) and they don't sell the high pressure rack to reservoir return line.
This is awesome! PS is pretty much the last weeping thing left on my truck. Could you please share the link?

@ClassyJalopy
Sure!

2x of the 5/8" (2ft)

3x of the 3/8" (3ft)

You'll end up trimming about 5" off of each once you start fitting it into the bay.

Oh yeah, I wanted to add that I used hose clamps on 3 of the 4 fittings. I reused the high pressure clamp down in the rack as that was a very tight connection and didn't want to spin. The pump clamp was not tight enough so I used a band clamp on that and both reservoir fittings.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ordered new diff bushing arms from partsouq and the front Febest diff bushings. Also ordered SPC rear lower control arms. I hope this concludes my suspension refresh. I need to stop spending on my LC or my wife is going to think I have a 2nd family. lol
Sort of fun to watch shipping progress of diff arms/bushings heading my way from UAE.

85985B94-BD54-41E1-968A-7D45486D5E56.png

And these guys showed up, so close...

11DDAE58-ABB8-4846-B91E-97BFE00AC999.jpeg

Partsouq has basically replaced buying any parts stateside, unless I need them today. It's unreal that it takes a domestic dealer a week to even start getting it out the door.
If it's not a large heavy item, Partsouq all the way, just for the shipping tracking pleasure. I saved nearly 50% vs stateside. It's a shame, cheaper to ship from the other side of the globe rather than from the dealer down the road.

cool. Where'd you source them?
Actually on eBay.

Full replacement (not the foam or seat heaters, tho) and they are leather.

Fit like a glove. Hardest part is getting the OEM leather out and not messing up the seat heaters.

Carefully cutting the seams is the trick.

@nitteo Sick ride! Looks like we're going similar routes with our builds (other than the killer paint job)!

295/70R18 Falkens arrived last week.
18" 200 Series wheels arrived today. Hoping to powder coat them next Friday. Thinking a texture black we have.
Also have 1.25" Bora spacers on order.

View attachment 2314990

View attachment 2314991

View attachment 2314992

Painted my wheels today! Went with a Zinc-Rich Primer for added protection against corrosion followed by 'Bike Black'. Was hoping for something with a little less gloss to it but this is what we had on hand. Plus, they turned out awesome!
Also painted my engine and transfer case factory skid plates using a matte black texture paint.
Hoping my Bora spacers arrive this week so I can get my Falkens mounted and balanced!

Factory FInish.jpg

Primer Cured.jpg

Bike Black.jpg

Factory Skid Plate.jpg

Ironman lift, nitro uca's, trail tailor diff drop, new Cooper tires, alpha equipt wheels, slee spacers, cvt rooftop tent. It was a big week.
20200528_185229.jpg

Actually on eBay.

Full replacement (not the foam or seat heaters, tho) and they are leather.

Fit like a glove. Hardest part is getting the OEM leather out and not messing up the seat heaters.

Carefully cutting the seams is the trick.

nice this might be an option to hold me over, only seat bottoms are bad on driver seat, rest is decent shape.. I'm lazy so will probably take to local shop.

lx version:

Finished the bushing upgrade project tonight. I had resort to my 35mm socket to press out the old bushing. I tried a 34mm at first. Its just a mm to small and wanted to press up inside the bushing instead of pushing it out. The 35mm worked fine, but requires being pressed out once the old bushing has been removed.

1590808233933.png

Pressing in the new bushing. I borrowed a 46 piece press kit from Advance Auto.

I supplemented it with various sockets to cover larger holes from the press kit.

1590808446026.png

The old bushing.

1590808661014.png

The old bushing wasn't bed. It had dried out was beginning to crack. It was the right time to replace these while reworking other parts of the front suspension.

1590808755297.png

Got all my parts ready for CV axle re-boot.. going to be a fun weekend...

Does anyone know where I can get the 18” tundra Steelers in black, the spare tire lookin ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom