What have you been doing with your Toyota? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The wife and I drove the 40 out to Ringing Rocks on Saturday morning and had a good time scrambling around with hammers for an hour or so. Once it started to get a little busier we left the rock pile to explore some of the roads in the area. We bounced around on washboards and rocky roads and all of my lights stopped working again. The truck still gets a little warm when moving at under 25 mph, I'm going to try adding a pusher fan with a dash switch and see if that helps. I messed around enough to get brake lights and turn signals working again, and then we drove into Three Forks to get lunch from the Iron Horse Cafe and Pie Shop. Lunch was fantastic, but the 40 didn't want to start when it was time to head home. One of the cooks gave us a jump and we were on our way. Got home and put a meter on the battery. It's showing ~7 volts. So, yeah, full rewire needs to happen on the 40 real soon.
View attachment 2377811
View attachment 2377812
Sunday morning, we loaded up the dogs in the Pickup and drove out Bridger Canyon to Stone Creek. The truck started getting hot on the way up. We turned around and limped it back home, keeping a close eye on the temp gauge. Got it home and noticed some white smoke in the exhaust. So that's fun. I'm not sure if it's worth putting head gaskets on a truck I paid $1000 for 130,000 miles ago, but I do really like that truck. We'll see.

Two trucks down. Driving the WRX this week.

I bet your lights stopped working due to the dying battery. On a 40 our grounds are worth keeping in your maintenance routine. There are three main grounds, engine to chassis, (3) body grounds, and battery to frame. When all three circuits are clean and well grounded your whole system will operate better.

I bought a 4 core radiator from Radiator Barn years ago and my 40 has run cooler ever since, even crawling and sitting in trail traffic all day in the Moab heat. It was $$$ well spent.

I bet your lights stopped working due to the dying battery.
Questionable grounds a certainly an issue with this truck. My plan with the rewire this winter is to install a centralized ground bus and do whatever I need to do to make sure it's bulletproof. I might need to do a secondary ground bus to isolate the radios.

I bought a 4 core radiator from Radiator Barn years ago... It was $$$ well spent.
I've got a new Champion radiator in it. The difference over the stock unit is massive, but still not quite good enough. I did some measuring this weekend, and I don't think I have room to put a pusher fan in. I don't have a shroud on it right now, and that might help a bit. I also wonder if removing the engine fan and going to an electric puller fan might be a better situation for my low-speed heat issues? Another option (and maybe the most effective), it'd be pretty easy to put an oil cooler on this engine.

Drove past a sign. Found someone stuck in a swamp. I think he's been there a while.

IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_2945.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG

Questionable grounds a certainly an issue with this truck. My plan with the rewire this winter is to install a centralized ground bus and do whatever I need to do to make sure it's bulletproof. I might need to do a secondary ground bus to isolate the radios.

I've got a new Champion radiator in it. The difference over the stock unit is massive, but still not quite good enough. I did some measuring this weekend, and I don't think I have room to put a pusher fan in. I don't have a shroud on it right now, and that might help a bit. I also wonder if removing the engine fan and going to an electric puller fan might be a better situation for my low-speed heat issues? Another option (and maybe the most effective), it'd be pretty easy to put an oil cooler on this engine.

I'd add a shroud first. That'll help tremendously at slower speeds.

don't remember what engine you're running but i'd bet a shroud will fix your issue. I have an electric set up for the fj40 rad you're welcome to try, after my issue this weekend when the circuit breaker went funky on me i'm going back to the mechanical fan . Having to move the radiator to have it more lined up is a pain but doing it as i type this. The electric fan worked good at low speeds but at highway speed i warmed up

I'm running an old SBC. I'll try fabricating a shroud and see what happens.

I believe the brackets are rago fab.

pelican is just bolted to the rack. I end up with a bunch of these from work projects so don’t feel to bad putting a few holes in them.

Matt I went with 864's from OME on my 100 and it made all the difference for me. Are those Tough Dog or ????
These are King Springs. Needed a little more umph in the rear with all the added weight on the rig and with trailer on, while keeping the AHC functioning. Hooked up the trailer and went through all the heights. Works like a charm now. Very happy. And not too much of a pain to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom