What do you tow your 80 with? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1690138900247.png

Bought the Chevy 3500 new in 2005, Featherlite gooseneck, used and abused in 2009. Haven't tried to fit my 80 inside yet as other projects are stored inside.
I did haul my 1975 C20 2 wheel drive inside so maybe the LC will fit depending on lift and tires. Would like to spray foam the interior then install a toy hauler interior, bed in the over hang. Heaviest load was around 18,000 plus truck weight. Hauled my 1995 Holiday Rambler 5th wheel from Elko, NV to Eastern Idaho, total weight across the scales, 25,600 lbs, full of fuel and me in the cab.

Pretty happy with the new trailer. Going to install some Starboard on the insides of the fenders so they don't chew up the tires when I'm loading and unloading though.

PXL_20230806_135955556.jpg

AAA.

I figured oil bath axles would be a good idea - less maintenance and run cooler. I guess that's only if they're assembled right. I thought the heat was the brakes breaking in and maybe dragging a little. Given the amount of oil that's puked out in the first few trips i think a disassembly and wheel bearing torque check might be a good idea.

PXL_20230721_185833056.jpg

PXL_20230721_185742373.jpg

I figured oil bath axles would be a good idea - less maintenance and run cooler. I guess that's only if they're assembled right. I thought the heat was the brakes breaking in and maybe dragging a little. Given the amount of oil that's puked out in the first few trips i think a disassembly and wheel bearing torque check might be a good idea.

View attachment 3411639
View attachment 3411635
Interesting, I thought it would be a upgrade as well.
For comparison on my trip to Colorado at the beginning of the month with my 10K trailer with 5k axles it was 118 degrees out so I was checking the hubs at stops and was getting for 140* to 170* at the hubs, With no grease puking out.
Trailer has about 35k miles on it with last service 10k and 2 years ago

Last edited:
Interesting, I thought it would be a upgrade as well.
For comparison on my trip to Colorado at the beginning of the month with my 10K trailer with 5k axles it was 118 degrees out so I was checking the hubs at stops and was getting for 140* to 170* at the hubs, With no grease puking out.
Trailer has about 35 miles on it with last service 10k and 2 years ago
The front axle hub happily sits at ~120F in ~90F ambient. Assuming they just messed up setup on the rear axle. I head down to Oregon for an event at the end of September - definitely going to get it squared away before that.

@Broski do you have any issues in California hauling your 80, or do you have a CDL? Didn't realize until today that the law down there states that if a trailer is stickered for more than 10,000lb it triggers the need for a CDL. Different to most of the rest of the country that allows 26,000 GCWR.

My trailer is stickered for 19k, so I'm screwed.

Most trailer’s that are 10k trailer that are sold in Calif are stickered at 9990 to avoid that law including mine.
So no It’s not an issue for me.
The law is geared for commercial hauling and not for RV’s
The way I understand it if you’re hauling with a truck, trailer and recreational vehicle (your LX ) all registered to you it’s recreational not commercial.
All RV camper type trailers and fifth wheels are excluded from the law. Crazy as it may seem.
Your trailer would definitely be considered commercial and if you were hauling someone else’s vehicle, it could be an issue.

That being said IMHO you’re not going to be pulled over just for that and you’re not required to pull into any truck scales.
In my mind the only worry would be if you were in a accident and some lawyer fingers out the trailer is stickered at 19k
But as long as you can prove, you were hauling recreationally you should be fine.

It looks like they changed recreational part in that you need a none commercial class A license for RV trailers over 10K

It looks like they changed recreational part in that you need a none commercial class A license for RV trailers over 10K
Yeah - that's what i read too.

Although, to your point I'm not required to stop at scales with a recreational vehicle. Probably only an issue if I'm pulled over for doing something else.

I think you could get Diamond C to issue you a sticker for 9990LBS if you don't plan on hauling anything much heaver then the LX

The sticker was half torn off from the factory and they mailed me a new one. Might be a while before i get to that. 😎

With the hauling capacities of new tow rigs I'm not surprised to see Cali passed a recreational class A law. Wouldn't be surprised if other states start to follow suit.

If it wouldn't take me 2 weeks and a couple grand at a driving school to get my WA CDL it's just go and do it. I pulled 25k+ construction trailers and split axle trucks half off my career. I don't imagine I'd have an issue with the practical part.

Added a tool box up front - plenty of storage for parts and heavier tools i don't want to pack in the truck. Had the back and top of the box Line-x'd to protect from rock chips.

PXL_20231021_182056458.jpg
PXL_20231021_182048293.jpg

Fit on the trailer well - but definitely bigger than i was planning on.

Couldn't you just fab up some shorter brackets? From pics it almost looks like you could lose, maybe an inch of length. Since it's hex heads, you could use a wrench to install/remove and not fight a screw driver. More negative offset wheels (if you could find them) would be way too expensive plus mess with the fender clearance.

Couldn't you just fab up some shorter brackets? From pics it almost looks like you could lose, maybe an inch of length. Since it's hex heads, you could use a wrench to install/remove and not fight a screw driver. More negative offset wheels (if you could find them) would be way too expensive plus mess with the fender clearance.
I think the stand off is as big as it is to avoid blocking off the oil filler for the hubs. I'm going to run as is for now. If it gets messed up it'll go in the garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom