What did you put in your military trailer today? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool. I want to copy this, but for F-Motors :)

Those F things are heavy, having had one pulled out of my old FJ55 and replaced by Cheby lightweight power. A 1FZ is supposed to be just short of 600 if just the longblock. I think the issue will be whether you have enough reach outside the trailer. With the boom slid out all the way the limit is 500, but you also get a longer reach. Going to start a thread on this with more pics later and will link back here when I do. Didn't get any testing done today. Waiting for the Dremel to cool right now...:smuggrin:

Wood, mostly 16' sticks. Very much tail wagging the dog. 20mph max safe speed.

ojguVBrC4i2gC1Ico5KE5OFGm5gkpKuD33Jdlf2uuTWP0FLv_dOV0td5v0kOLryDFTheQAla1fVvy9gMuXD_1gKXUNn41nNNVNKOA9_jxSSlhIW9do8uPHeR9T5vXsGnTG3N9hM1NWj-fvu1NF-MD0ZAcVR3iieUoqxuV7ntdHHdOakksWmqdn9WlZ9YQ9xwCPwUT5oyyG5Hoqw3wx31tkk36kBSO4Qz7Y2kyf9JsgWvbyC-hf3husQs-CSig14l7U7OB8T5NQ6Im4j4Cf3bBJyGDzej4ZtjRJrw6zM0SfhTljDUIqG8nPEzreqZiy_rlB3SX5sRW_86Qcdka7vdSWzas1BSw0WvFVDQK72r_JlX8r7vZzYsKHmCwixOMCFGHH-FFHBo4HB7XlCnZLrCnw5hViBiQo3SOX9jq126LNFweTTC513WH3ZtaOz21T6aqTjkg0JgwEjoexv8djI5wyBVrZuzZ2yM6iqZ6tAKAH5twCXCDdtdrJI8aU1c_0HZ-Ugh_rAWUmnt_7pmVMgBogFXSZErHqGZ46MKa0pE9DmBv1s6oiLz7Y9MABNyRyo0zoL9nsJNzBY9uvUDK8XfzXFk7UDZeYiY=w1804-h1339-no

uIeyFBdrxR3lI10XC537cb-ZdR9n8-0qcBGfbSQzyKgoJNSmWEbC0oNFFvWhlWhzDrq97TOVpWSyf13qIlhiPfLdHLUY_Cx6ElmVZ4q1V02okImfOai6d_YWCtLaINdmm8sQQfKBhavD5leNAulZhyRUTWYfuzIHqUauxnyz13KvxrgxNgi1h198-gcRCJa1cfHSp2x3GX2knql6gOLohsx5qL8KFbnWK1lNndsJ9w0MkgANgx9E7xs0wQurcs6j-fVUmWo8wPFDkoJbRD_asWxiq5E4WJKNym8ojWanc_8CN5XITw_6CUCE6IDgH7tcRZfcnHHossNX-t2TpISjDdVSYv9frgk05HdNgKFRCRcBuMxn_db5x-2goik9WDd71gG0JuCQVpDvWmmtP-ah72N0UsEWFEAnLZ3VcLNHrR0qV1Kf_qXJ2zR3wcGNfTnk34L09Qd4fveP-eVeynoiayQ0jcE29Hn3nz75DmnbW1qw9YFP7RFB49HmxPfCUy2e7ICcXh1LtSqm2mZRlNTCFIn66JazMxFj0uLZT0RDUPtP_uqwosHXZGtOL2a77LsGeQntJV5Id1y0qVLSgb50bYfTuibMyf4J=w1804-h1339-no

Nice! I really those A3 axles, don't know why everybody is so quick to swap them out. Look at that ground clearance.

Yes sir, I love this trailer :D

Someday I think I'll make a longer front a-frame tongue so I can more evenly load long things on the trailer, with a proper tongue jack, not the foot the military put on. Maybe even with a hydraulic ram so I can dump heavier loads :D

My Son tore up the surge brake on one of my A3s, so I took one off of one I'm going to extend the tongue on. With all that off the front, you can see how easy it could be done. I'd like to go to electric brakes and keep the neat parking brakes.

If you throw a Dexter 3" dia under it....it's a complete match for all the hardware under there, and is rated at 5000lb.

Last edited:
5 44"x18.5 fun country tires "in" going down to the tire shop to be mounted
2 "on"

image.jpg

image.jpg

The rack is too high, need to drop it about 14" to fit into my garage, it's also taller than my truck on 4" competition springs and 37s.

Pictures of first time run with old 1/4 ton heading up to the high mountain desert loaded with 10 days of supply's for one. This was its first run as said and did a fantastic job. The lunette hitch is a must if you are to do any climbing were both vehicles are at different angles at one time, took the river washouts without a problem. We made a flat top cover that fit the complete top of the trailer out of 1/2" ply to act as a cover when transporting. We installed four legs that would act as a bed platform when installed in the 45s rear bed with clearance to clear wheel wells with some room on the underside to store equipment.
Never used the tent as the trailer had all the equipment leavening the bed open for the sleeping.
Will never sell this little gem of a trailer.

First time out
EmptyName_61 (3).jpg

EmptyName_54 (2).jpg
EmptyName_71 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful rig love2fly!

Hey guys, scrapdaddy how's that rig of your coming along?
Getting the two ready for a week's run in the high desert now the rains have stopped. Been thinking of getting one of those foldout two person tents that I can mount on the trailers top. I installed a fold down leg on the rear underside of the trailer to keep it from tilting but the tent cost is holding me back for this run. Bought a Toyota PU underbody mount spare tire block so I could install a spare underneath front, just hope it is high enough to clear when I am driving down into the waddies. Have had the trailer at 90 degrees while the 45 at an opposite 30 or so degrees with so tense moment but that trailer just keeps on going as long as it is loaded correctly. If you can find one of these little boxes and I know they are selling on the high side but grab one, well worth the cash.
Short true horrible story- Years ago when in the Army I was having my military Cutt-V fixed at mates for a small problem, while standing in the back of the shop I saw several low boy trailers being loaded in the yard with Mutts (small jeeps) and 1/4 ton Vietnam error M416 trailers. I asked what going on whit the jeeps and trailers and was told that they are being taken out to the tank range for targets. Now I'm in the Aviation side of the Army so ground vehicles meant nothing to me at that time. A Master Sargent was standing next to me and turned and said " you are more than welcome to take a mutt or two and a as many trailers as you want, the command had okayed it for active military personnel as long as they are not to be sold". This was when the Humvees were coming on line so hundreds ( I really mean hundreds ) of mutts and 1/4 trailers were being destroyed, and I mean rows of them. Yes, I said no thanks, and to this day it makes me feel sick. When I close my eyes and picture that image I remember at least five rows of maybe 40-50 1/4 ton trailers in just one row heading to sure death. :(:bang:

New tires for the 80! Finally decided to replace the firestones on it since Dec 2008 with 285/75R16 KO2's. Kids were playing wack-a-mole.

DSC_9365.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom