What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (87 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent the better part of my free time last week rebuilding the rear axle. What started as an investigation into a subtle clunk from the back end resulted in 4 hub studs snapped on the PS and 2 on the DS when trying to get the tire off ended up as a rebuild of the back end and new studs and nuts.View attachment 1961160

Got inspired by @GeoRoss and painted the hubs.View attachment 1961168

Buttoning it back up with new hardware thanks to @beno including a magnetic diff fill plug :)

View attachment 1961167
View attachment 1961169

Did you replace all 6 or 12 of the hub studs too??? Because they will need replacing.

Did lots of stuff over my Easter break.

Drained and swapped my coolant and changed my Temp Sensor and Sender units under the gooseneck. Those were a pain but it seems to have solved an intermittent high idle issue.

Swapped my sunroof glass. I bought the truck with what looked like two big softball size cracks.

Tightened down my oil pan bolts especially near the rear arch. Been chasing an oil leak and need to know if it’s the pan or the rear main seal. Some of my bolts were crazy loose.

Swapped my interior lights with @pfran42 ’s kit. Excellent results.

Swapped my AC drier, o-rings, and my condenser (with a used part) and cleaned my evaporator unit. Oh the birds nest I pulled out of that black box *shivers*. Got everything but toned down and ready for vacuum when we realized we needed an adapter for the high side service port on the R12 compressor! 🤬So that’ll be here Weds. (we’re sticking with R-12 I got epa certified lol). So i should have good 90’s era AC soon if everything goes well.

Also did some odds and ends. Tightened my V-Belts. Tried to clean up some of my headliner. Gonna try a steam cleaner next. And started treating my rear shock mounts with PB blaster in preparation for replacement soon. They are crispy.

Just a few pics. Unfortunately I didn’t take much. 1992

View attachment 1960051
View attachment 1960052View attachment 1960053View attachment 1960054

Just a follow up. The fitting we received needed a little “encouragement” to thread into our vintage R12 gauges, but we managed to charge the. AC. I got 39 degrees at the center console with all my doors and trunk open. Took nearly all three 12oz cans we had.

Edit* disregard the fact that we used a yellow hose for the high side. Long story We filled through the low side as per procedure we promise. 😉

I would assume the OEM studs would last the life of the rig too if mechanics would stop using impact drills to tighten lug nuts and not overtorque the bolts. I would think ARP studs or any bolt for that matter would suffer the same fate as these if abused but I could be wrong.
Don't even get me started.

:bang:

Was recently able to use a 20% off coupon to pick this Dometic up from REI. Now have to see the best place to put it. Looks like I will have to rearrange everything. Man this is quiet! Also, going to see if I want this or the 50 instead because of the way it opens. Time will tell. REI has a great return process just in case.

View attachment 1961158

If you dont ever use the backseat behind the driver, the fridge will fit awesome front to back. Use the seat holes to tie down the front and the cargo holes to secure the back. I can get you a photo later if you want.

Lol I'm in trade school for this and my teacher literally sent a kid home last night for doing this.

I bring dishonor to MVAC technicians everywhere. Guess they should make that test harder. 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

I got a lot going on but since I got back from Arizona and Utah I’ve done bump stops axles birfs belly skid building rear drawers built new rack and gotta get lights lithium and alu cab all in next week and half and then of course @LandCruiserPhil sent these to add one more to the list. Thanks Phil
630AF913-B4EE-42C1-852D-B4D10179960B.jpeg
9196F770-35A3-4B8C-86F8-E6F151DDEB46.jpeg
0E2B342B-4594-4880-B3F1-5015FDC9EC95.jpeg
EE6132C6-CCDA-44A1-896D-55E9BC1A25B3.jpeg
4AC4BBAA-7CDF-4226-83A6-07CD5B0925B8.jpeg

so mobile upload always goes wacky on me.

Did you replace all 6 or 12 of the hub studs too??? Because they will need replacing.

No, I left the hub studs alone. They seemed fine. No issues with stripped studs or difficulty with the nuts or cone washers. I am guessing they tend to hold up pretty well over time since they usually are torqued down with a torque wrench and not an impact. If there is something I am missing as to why I should have replaced them other than the fact that I was there already and it wouldn't have been much work let me know. I am definitely not a mechanic and am happy to learn.

No, I left the hub studs alone. They seemed fine. No issues with stripped studs or difficulty with the nuts or cone washers. I am guessing they tend to hold up pretty well over time since they usually are torqued down with a torque wrench and not an impact. If there is something I am missing as to why I should have replaced them other than the fact that I was there already and it wouldn't have been much work let me know. I am definitely not a mechanic and am happy to learn.

While you are ther it take no time to replace. I replaced all 12 of the rear hub studs because three of them stripped/broke.

Edit: forgot to mention couple of the studs clearly stretched. Most of the power is to the rear so while you are there it’s much safer to replace them all. Same reason people replace all the wheel studs at the same time.

Last edited:
I cleaned up the threads on a couple, replaced a couple. No biggie.

:meh:

removed the factory rack on top,the front fasteners were rusted and the certs came out,the ones in back were ok,plugged the holes with rawlnut and washers,eliminated one more leak that developed.

Had Best Buy install a new compustar remote start system (no t-taps were used). I'm so happy to be able to unlock the doors from more than 10 feet away!!

I'm really impressed with the guy who installed the system. 10 years at the shop, all military wire splices, took his time and didnt rush anything. Very accommodating to my highlighted list of options to configure and special requests of where to mount things. Had them move the antenna to the right of the mirror to accommodate a future Gentech mirror and forward camera setup. Had 2x Aux outputs routed to accessible place under the dash to trigger my rack mounted area lights and lastly removed the RS3000 OEM system.

Now I'm ready for summer!!

Had Best Buy install a new compustar remote start system (no t-taps were used). I'm so happy to be able to unlock the doors from more than 10 feet away!!

I'm really impressed with the guy who installed the system. 10 years at the shop, all military wire splices, took his time and didnt rush anything. Very accommodating to my highlighted list of options to configure and special requests of where to mount things. Had them move the antenna to the right of the mirror to accommodate a future Gentech mirror and forward camera setup. Had 2x Aux outputs routed to accessible place under the dash to trigger my rack mounted area lights and lastly removed the RS3000 OEM system.

Now I'm ready for summer!!

Took out the jump seats and am wondering what the hell to do with the seatbelts. Don't think I want to permanently remove just in case I need to haul around 7 people.. but it's a camping rig for my lady and our dog.View attachment 1958576
What i did with mine was unbolt the part that goes to the wheel wheel and then just tucked it behind the plastic where it feeds from from. out of the way but not removed

I readjusted my RF wheel bearing AGAIN! I think this is the 6th time in 63K miles. I think it's time for a new spindle.

The PO took a guardrail to that corner and sheared off one knuckle stud and had other damage that I don't think was "properly" fixed.

I was having bad braking issues that started all this. Last week I discovered the panhard bar bracket was cracked, then a loose wheel bearing, and the braking issue was a stick stuck in between the back of the pad and the body of the caliper, thus, not allowing the brakes to release on the RF and making bad noises and handling weird.

I also adjusted my tire pressures so they are all equal.

As discovered the RR brake is shot and I need new pads and new rotors for the rear...... I already have them, just need to install, and bleed the brakes for new fluid.

OK do you even sleep?

:lol:
I do but not really much else, I record in ealry AM then hit the patio to weld or screw stuff together and wait on mail from australia and others. I went a bit batshiite this time, and forgot to get a 3 day pass for expo west, so I kind of Effed myself in the A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom