What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (73 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are they as good though? I had a couple of Nissan trucks and I thought they sucked compared to the Toyota quality from the same time period as the Patrol that we are talking about. Shredded gears in a manual tranny that had been driven by a farm town priest and then me, a long time manual driver at 75,000 miles? Motor leaked everywhere, it burned oil, parts were hard to source, honestly, I just quit on Nissan entirely after that with the exception of one mistake Volvo that I will never live down. I went back to Mr. T and never looked back.

I would love to see this one though once you get it all dialed in and give us that report:)

It can't be just as good or better than an 80, can it?

Are they as good though? I had a couple of Nissan trucks and I thought they sucked compared to the Toyota quality from the same time period as the Patrol that we are talking about. Shredded gears in a manual tranny that had been driven by a farm town priest and then me, a long time manual driver at 75,000 miles? Motor leaked everywhere, it burned oil, parts were hard to source, honestly, I just quit on Nissan entirely after that with the exception of one mistake Volvo that I will never live down. I went back to Mr. T and never looked back.

I would love to see this one though once you get it all dialed in and give us that report:)

Saw many Patrols back when i was in Iceland, and yes, they look pretty sweet.
ySawPXn.jpg

rbbkWz4.jpg

zck18C9.jpg

It's nice of that van to take care of loading that little blue fat kid next to it with some steps. He looks like he should maybe run behind the van for a few miles though. I would film that, for posterity.

I don't even know about those trucks. It all just seems so crazy to me. I could probably do some of that sort of thing where I live, but there are more trees and less snow. Those tires are just bonkers to me though as far as something that I would want to drive 70 mph on the interstate for 8 hours in though. I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around how these guys pay for those rigs too. I mean, if you guys are buying, I will build a glacier mobile. ;)

I guess that depends on how it was serviced and used by the owner/s. I've seen some awesome cruisers and some that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy on. This patrol has 163,000kms on it and the owner is from Russia and has had several Y60s. He said the PO didn't take care of it but he's had these 4.2 diesels, trans and t/cs last 500-650,000Kms before rebuild and stay in the 22-25MPG range.

I can say the sheetmetal seems much thinner, the interior is MUCH nicer than an 80, comfier with more leg room, the steering is more controlled/responsive (stock components w/ 163KMS) but the power is strong, IMO compared to a 12HT or 1HZ (that I've driven anyway) It has auto lock hubs that are very contrary and weak from what I've read.... BUT, IT'S JUST LIKE A CRUISER.... IT MARKS IT'S TERRITORY!

I don't know much about these.. I'm just doing the suspension and armor. Just a neat rig to me as it's only the 3rd one i've ever seen in person.

J

I guess that depends on how it was serviced and used by the owner/s. I've seen some awesome cruisers and some that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy on. This patrol has 163,000kms on it and the owner is from Russia and has had several Y60s. He said the PO didn't take care of it but he's had these 4.2 diesels, trans and t/cs last 500-650,000Kms before rebuild and stay in the 22-25MPG range.

I can say the sheetmetal seems much thinner, the interior is MUCH nicer than an 80, comfier with more leg room, the steering is more controlled/responsive (stock components w/ 163KMS) but the power is strong, IMO compared to a 12HT or 1HZ (that I've driven anyway) It has auto lock hubs that are very contrary and weak from what I've read.... BUT, IT'S JUST LIKE A CRUISER.... IT MARKS IT'S TERRITORY!

I don't know much about these.. I'm just doing the suspension and armor. Just a neat rig to me as it's only the 3rd one i've ever seen in person.

J
Awesome! I would love to drive around in one for a bit. One of the things I like above even the 60 Series is the solid thunk when you close a door. Those other trucks can be a bit "tin canny", but not the 80.

I would love to see more here if they are plentiful and cheap as everyone is saying. I feel like we can kinda give them a pass as the only other real full sized Japanese SUV that was sold worldwide.

Awesome! I would love to drive around in one for a bit. One of the things I like above even the 60 Series is the solid thunk when you close a door. Those other trucks can be a bit "tin canny", but not the 80.

I would love to see more here if they are plentiful and cheap as everyone is saying. I feel like we can kinda give them a pass as the only other real full sized Japanese SUV that was sold worldwide.

This one was 13K shipped from Japan to Portland. The doors close solid, but they are only about 4" thick. Heavy and operate well, just not much "cushion" from exterior to interior. Actually quiet with little road noise even with that 12" raised topper.

J

This one was 13K shipped from Japan to Portland. The doors close solid, but they are only about 4" thick. Heavy and operate well, just not much "cushion" from exterior to interior. Actually quiet with little road noise even with that 12" raised topper.

J
Sounds intriguing! I don't have the $13K as of yet, but I would love to learn more about them.

Sounds intriguing! I don't have the $13K as of yet, but I would love to learn more about them.

When I said cheap, I mean under $5k, but over there.
Someone will have to ship it to you, shipping cost will vary from country to country and destination.
But if you ever plan a trip to EU might as well look at some cars and possibly ship one home.

One of the most popular sites for car sales throughout Europe.
The most popular turbo diesel engine in EU is the 2.8 I6 due to it's lower registration fees compared to the 4.2 variant.
And most of them are manual transmission (5 speed).

There is a Polish company doing engine transplant using the BMW 3.0 I6 turbo but it is rather expensive. 350HP/500TQ and light weight.

PKW-Suche bei mobile.de – schnell und einfach Dein Fahrzeug finden

Why all of the hate on the fj cruiser. I've never understood it. They are great vehicles and very capable vehicles from the factory. I've owned multiple 40s, fjcs and an 80. I love them all. And I have never been offended when anyone referred to my 40 as an fj. In fact I only got a little irritated when 99% of people refer to it as a sweet Jeep. Similar to when people refer to my 80 as a nice 4 runner. And every 40 owner i have ever met referred to my 40 as an fj. It was actually very rare for anyone to comment on my "40 series".

The hate is because the FJ Cruiser was dubbed at an ode to the 40 Series and it isn’t anything of the sort. It’s a poser rig.

They are fine. Just like Tacos and 4Runners and Sequoias and Tundras. But they are not Land Cruisers.

Saw many Patrols back when i was in Iceland, and yes, they look pretty sweet.
ySawPXn.jpg

rbbkWz4.jpg

zck18C9.jpg

I saw a few Patrols and 80s when I was in Iceland last October. My son and I are going back in August.

0509B308-3BAC-4ED1-9FEC-C9E9F1E8C023.jpeg
92911534-CC08-4140-BDA2-D64BD815CA19.jpeg

Not the weekend but picked up 2 roof top tents yesterday.

6B9BFD3E-E0F5-4AB6-AAC0-BE8DA30D81A9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom