What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How are those different than the Apex overland recovery points?

How are those different than the Apex overland recovery points?
The SRQ recovery points appear to have more bolts and attachment points to the frame. They both bolt to the sway bar brackets and core support, but the SRQ points have a secondary piece that bolts to the front frame horns (where the crash guard bolts) and ties into the main core support/eyelet piece. If anything I think they are more beefy than the Apex recovery points because they'll probably have a bit more lateral stiffness (with two pieces and more bolts). The SRQ points of course aren't powdercoated, but that's not a big deal for me (spent all of $10 for a can of primer and paint). I was going to get the Apex points until I found the SRQ's with free shipping and not backordered.

I'll post a picture after they get mounted on my GX.

@Rednexus Do you know if they’re compatible with the sway bar and aftermarket bumpers?
Looks like they bolt to the same three bolts at the end of the frame that most aftermarket bumpers bolt to. So they'd probably push the bumper out by 1/4" or so, if they don't interfere elsewhere. SRQ does say they are compatible with SRQ's T4R hybrid bumper, but a GX bumper might be case-by-case.

We have around 8-12 inches of snow on the ground right now, and I nearly got stuck in it with my family on Thursday (had to stop on a steep hill, had a hard time getting any wheelspin to get going again, ended up sliding sideways into the ditch slowly, before backing out in 4-Lo).

So today I drove down ~20 miles of snow covered Forest Service road to figure out how to drive the GX in the snow. I found that 4-Lo sucks in the snow. A-Trac seems to kill throttle with any amount of wheelspin and kept the tires from digging down through the snow to the ground. In 4-Hi, stopped on a snow covered-hill, with the center diff locked and VSC off, I'd initially get some slow wheelspin after which traction control would start to kick in. When that happened I'd punch the throttle, the brakes would clamp down on the loose(r) tires, the engine would easily rev to 3-4k RPM with tires spinning, and I could dig myself out in around 3-4 seconds with no problem. Traction control AND wheelspin proved to be a great combo, and made the GX unstoppable. Not sure why wheelspin seems to be limited in 4-Lo (maybe to keep from breaking driveline parts?), but at least it's allowed in 4-Hi.

View attachment 2591237

View attachment 2591238

View attachment 2591239

View attachment 2591241
What are those yellow fog lights you have? Looks like what I would like to get.

What are those yellow fog lights you have? Looks like what I would like to get.
Amazon product ASIN B006FXGL36
They are a bit tricky to install. We used a heat gun to get out some of the bubbles. After the fact I noticed the instructions said that water can be used to aid the installation.

Loaded up my 3-year old and headed out into the Mark Twain National Forest for a day of hiking and backroading. No real off-roading, but we did ford a few deep creeks and drove down a lot of gravel. We then ended up hiking 9.5 miles (with him in a child carrier backpack for ~8 miles of that) and headed home. A GX is a great family adventure vehicle; I love that my kids can actually see out the windows.

20210320_143615.jpg

Purchased the White Knuckle Off Road KDSS sliders. Cannot wait to get these so I can delete the running boards. Can't delete them now or my GF will kill me.

How'd you splice it into the factory wiring?
I pulled the plugs out of the existing fog lamps and spliced pigtails into those wires. Since they are all LED now the power draw is pretty minimal. I also did the fog lamp mod so they can be turned on independent of the headlights.

I pulled the plugs out of the existing fog lamps and spliced pigtails into those wires. Since they are all LED now the power draw is pretty minimal. I also did the fog lamp mod so they can be turned on independent of the headlights.
I was going to do this for the lights in the new wench bumper but then found out they turn off when high beams come on. That won't work for me when our in the wild 😥 Looks great though! I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom