Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed the latest and greatest in Fire extinguishers. Complete with a glass breaker and seat belt cutter. Last 5X as long as a traditional 5lb extinguisher at less than a 5th of the weight. Mounted for quick access without being the way or taking up useful space.

Still carry cable cutters because NO fire extinguisher will put out an electrical fire without killing the power source.

1570550867105.png

I think a Subaru Outback could slow roll the majority of the 7 miles of road, which could create problems with two-way traffic in some sections. An Outback (or similar) could not make the descent down to the reservoir in current conditions.

I'm a bit of a wheeling rookie--and primarily had fish-catching on the brain for this trip--so it was a satisfying outing for me. Would've enjoyed some company! :)
I’d agree that an outback would be doable getting to the top, but a Civic and a Pontiac Sunfire were a complete surprise. My buddy drove his VW Golf up there more than once too. I haven’t been up there since the fire, I’ve missed fishing that creek.

14D88A72-DB3A-43DC-967C-26B752ECFC97.jpeg

I’d agree that an outback would be doable getting to the top, but a Civic and a Pontiac Sunfire were a complete surprise. My buddy drove his VW Golf up there more than once too. I haven’t been up there since the fire, I’ve missed fishing that creek.

View attachment 2102412
Lovely shot. I had similar success on Grant Creek prior to the Frye fire. Maybe we should organize a Cruisers & Trout run?

Lovely shot. I had similar success on Grant Creek prior to the Frye fire. Maybe we should organize a Cruisers & Trout run?
My feelings wouldn’t hurt. Another option would to be getting some folks up to the Blue Range for some Gila trout stocking. We’re working on the scheduling right now, but it’ll be a weekend in Nov.

What are the details of this? Link please?

Installed the latest and greatest in Fire extinguishers. Complete with a glass breaker and seat belt cutter. Last 5X as long as a traditional 5lb extinguisher at less than a 5th of the weight. Mounted for quick access without being the way or taking up useful space.

Still carry cable cutters because NO fire extinguisher will put out an electrical fire without killing the power source.

1570550867105.png

Changed oil on one...
297oilchange.jpg

Washed the other... (need a freakin' ladder to get anything usefully cleaned on the top)
166washing.jpg
There's that nice Troopy I saw on the September Run!

1570550867105.png

Phil, where’d you find that glass breaker seatbelt cutter mount for your element? My google ninja skills are failing me....

It's monstaliner thinned out and rolled on with fine foam rollers. The color is medium quartz gray and is exactly what I was looking for. The truck only took 1 gallon total for 2 coats, but due to the pot life I had to mix both gallons and waste a bunch. The texture came out nice

IMG_20191011_080329123.jpg

I also added some hood louvers, which work awesome! These should help keep iat's down in the summer. They flow a lot more air than I thought they would.

IMG_20191009_182406670.jpg

It's monstaliner thinned out and rolled on with fine foam rollers. The color is medium quartz gray and is exactly what I was looking for. The truck only took 1 gallon total for 2 coats, but due to the pot life I had to mix both gallons and waste a bunch. The texture came out nice

View attachment 2104608

I also added some hood louvers, which work awesome! These should help keep iat's down in the summer. They flow a lot more air than I thought they would.

View attachment 2104607
I was thinking about using smurfadelic from monstaliner. What did you use to thin it out and what rollers did you use

I was thinking about using smurfadelic from monstaliner. What did you use to thin it out and what rollers did you use

1.5oz/gallon of MEK and the 4" cabinet/door whizz rollers from lowes. The solvent in the monstaliner did not eat these rollers up, which is a common problem with other rollers - even the ones provided with the kit. I used 2 rollers per coat.

I will say if I do another truck, I will spray it. The application is easy, but it took 2.5 hours for the first coat and 2 for the 2nd. Started mixing paint at 10pm, finished the job at 7am. if you play around with thinning it, you can get a pretty similar texture spraying it.

What do you mean by this?

Once you add the catalyst, the curing process starts. You are pretty much working with a gallon of glue that cures even in a sealed container. The pot life is 3-5 hours depending on temp and humidity, and I was not ready to start the 2nd coat until about 7 hours after mixing the first gallon (which was still about half full.) In the trash it went, and I mixed up the other gallon.

At the 3 hour mark this stuff was about the consistency of pudding. After it gets that thick the texture changes and you start to get chunks forming in the pot. You also need to keep stirring the pot, or you will get a soup skin on top. There are instructions on how to make the mixed liner keep long enough for a 2nd coat, but I planned on using all of it based on others experiences. Turns out that these rollers apply a thinner coat, thats what makes the texture smoother.

There is a lot to learn with this stuff, fortunately most/all of that takes place on the first coat.

Thank you for the explanation. As I read more I am starting to see the term "pot life" and I actually get what it means now. Looks like it would be pretty tough to do both coats from the same gallon since it needs 3 hours or so between coats. I should have just joined you this week and used the other half of each gallon!

I really like the smoother texture you got out of yours. I notice that with the heavy texture, thick/thin spots are much more apparent. I don't see this so much in your final product.

I'd be also interested in spraying it. Do you think that would have turned out better or been easier? Also according to their site, it looks like using 1 gallon (still buying 2) would be realistic with spray.

"Spray 2 to 3 medium wet coats allowing 1 hour cure time between coats."

Thank you for the explanation. As I read more I am starting to see the term "pot life" and I actually get what it means now. Looks like it would be pretty tough to do both coats from the same gallon since it needs 3 hours or so between coats. I should have just joined you this week and used the other half of each gallon!

I really like the smoother texture you got out of yours. I notice that with the heavy texture, thick/thin spots are much more apparent. I don't see this so much in your final product.

I'd be also interested in spraying it. Do you think that would have turned out better or been easier? Also according to their site, it looks like using 1 gallon (still buying 2) would be realistic with spray.

"Spray 2 to 3 medium wet coats allowing 1 hour cure time between coats."

No joke, If I would have know I would have planned to paint something else.

This texture is just what I was looking for. I have always disliked when people use bedliner on their trucks because of the rough texture, it always ends up holding dirt and looking bad. I live on a dirt road and so far this seems to not hold dust/dirt at all.

I think spraying would be much easier overall. I had about 5 hours into rolling the truck and all of the other misc items I did and my back was killing me. I still have jambs to do, if I were spraying each coat would have been done in less than 30 minutes, and the jambs would be done. You might be able to squeeze the whole truck in with one gallon (ends up being about a pint over a gallon when mixed and thinned) but I definitely would have a 2nd on hand just in case. The quicker application and drying time would have you in a much better place to get multiple coats out of one gallon. I will say my first coat had less than a dozen spots where the coverage was not quite 100%.

Im not sure if spraying would have turned out better though. I did buy a gun and a gallon of black for the bumpers, but after prepping the bumpers I decided to spray paint them. Ill end up using the black on the bumpers for my LX470.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help

Phil, where’d you find that glass breaker seatbelt cutter mount for your element? My google ninja skills are failing me....

They are NOT Element brand but we are working on bringing them in. Stay tuned :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom