Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tired of mailing in fix-it-tickets for burnt out bulbs on the daughter's 3rd gen. Replaced all the rear incandescent's with LED's.
List of what it took;
4- 7440's (backup and turns)
2- 7443's (tail and stop)
2- 168's (lic plate)
1- 992 (upper stop)
And one EP 35 flasher relay to cure the hyper-flash.

Your daughter is getting actual tickets or repair tickets that no fine involved with repair?

Like the LED lights but replace the flasher might not work correctly with my trailers I pull with it. Already installed a trailer light converter that isolates the trailer light to new separate fused circuit. First have to decide if I'm keeping it. Have a bull bar and E-locker for it along we a few other goodies.

Possibly one of the best pics of of my "dream cruiser" :cheers:

View attachment 1800153

On my short list of possible cruisers to import but would need to sell about eight to continue sleeping in the house. I at least have my FJ62 which is still way up on my list of favorites.

Your daughter is getting actual tickets or repair tickets that no fine involved with repair?

Repair tickets, she seems to be a magnet for them. After research, I just replaced the oem flasher relay with a EP 35. It is on the backside of the fuse panel and requires removing the trim panel below the steering wheel (4 bolts) and the 2 bolts to drop the fuse block to get to it.
The ep 35 is rated to handle both LED and incandescent or a mixture of the two, worked like a champ. I am planning on upgrading all the bulbs now on the 2001.

Modified the FJ40 to a four seater.

I have options for a one-seater (normal configuration), two-seater (never used), three-seater (used when I ride with my brother and nephew), and now a four-seater for the upcoming Chile Challenge in New Mexico.

Before (one-seater):
7D_26068-small.jpg

Framework for the rear bucket seats
7D_26076-small.jpg
7D_26077-small.jpg

Rear buckets installed
7D_26078-small.jpg

Seatbelt mounting
7D_26084-small.jpg

Modified the FJ40 to a four seater.

I have options for a one-seater (normal configuration), two-seater (never used), three-seater (used when I ride with my brother and nephew), and now a four-seater for the upcoming Chile Challenge in New Mexico.

Before (one-seater):
View attachment 1800324
Framework for the rear bucket seats
View attachment 1800325 View attachment 1800326
Rear buckets installed
View attachment 1800327
Seatbelt mounting
View attachment 1800328
Nice fab work, that looks very cozy. :clap:

View attachment 1800488 View attachment 1800489 View attachment 1800490 View attachment 1800491

A few more for ya, then. Cheers

The leaves have begun turning on the San Francisco Peaks.

Thought about putting a five speed in my FJ62. Adding a 70 series which most likely already have a five just makes more sense. Just need to sell seven or eight cruisers.

I'm afraid this storm is not going head the fall colors. A number of years ago went the rim and checked the leaves that were just starting to turn. Checked a week later and it had snowed and leaves turn brown. Supposedly in a week lows will be in the thirties. Long term forcast shows rains up to the Casner Mountain run. Your in Flagstaff to thinking of coming down to the rim? Thinking spending some time running FS roads I haven't been on in years. When I bought my first Land Cruiser I lived in Flagstaff and spend a ton of time down in that area.

Next weekend should be good for leaf peeping on the San Francisco Peaks. Pockets are peaking now, but it's far from done. The oaks are beginning to turn along the rim too, as are the riparian trees. Rosa taking dead aim on Flagstaff, but I expect plenty of leaves will survive the rain.

6174654576_IMG_1953.JPG

We had a nice camp on the rim this weekend with big views and the first fingers of Rosa's moisture rolling in.

6241676960_IMG_1834.jpg
6241711760_IMG_1896.jpg
6174654576_IMG_1880.JPG
6174654576_IMG_1976.JPG

Last edited:
Here is some Rally driving lights SAE-Y-88 which make them approved 1988 and period correct.
View attachment 1778547
If I ran driving and fog lights would mount them like this but not a fan of lights above the hood line. Other options would be on the face of the bumper or drill holes and in front of the turn signals.View attachment 1778549
Or if I really wanted to make a statement do it like this.:rolleyes:
View attachment 1778551
Amber and Rally lights work. Aris (which have covers) and Lexan driving lights would need some work as none of them are currently working. Both date to 1981.
I know you were playing with these rectangle lights and also some round ones in a later post which way did you go? at least for now?

For now kept this on.
IMG_20180830_123546806.jpg

Located a rear window defrost switch from a 60 series that fits the blank next to the dimmer knob. Use Have that to operate a 12 volt relay in the valley I need to find. Then will get them wired up. Planning on using heavier gauge wire than I figure I would ever need to possibly changes down the road.

Next weekend should be good for leaf peeping on the San Francisco Peaks. Pockets are peaking now, but it's far from done. The oaks are beginning to turn along the rim too, as are the riparian trees. Rosa taking dead aim on Flagstaff, but I expect plenty of leaves will survive the rain.

View attachment 1800895

We had a nice camp on the rim this weekend with big views and the first fingers of Rosa's moisture rolling in.

View attachment 1800894 View attachment 1800893 View attachment 1800896 View attachment 1800899

Green Tailed Towhee and Poison Ivy..

hey fellas has anyone removed the factory roof rack from their 80 series in the last couple years? Considering a low profile rack so those OEM rails have to go. Leaving the luggage strips that are fine. Just wanted to connect with someone local who had done it and quiz them on whether it's necessary to fill, sand and paint the 8 holes that'll be left over; orr just to use bolts and some silicone etc. I know there's lots of threads that touch on the topic just wanting some "local knowledge." PM me if you've done it recently, no need to muck up this thread. thanks in advance

I replaced both front spindles, drive flanges, and new hub bearings up in the front axle of the 80.
Also, I had to pull apart the rear end to replace a leaky gasket on the 3rd member of my SF axle. While I was in there, installed new axle seals and wheel bearings on the 206K, 26year old axle.

Last edited:
I replaced both front spindles, and new hub bearings up in the front axle of the 80.
Also, I had to pull apart the rear end to replace a leaky gasket on the 3rd member of my SF axle. While I was in there, installed new axle seals and wheel bearings on the 206K, 26year old axle.

Was the front end performing poorly? If so, what were the symptoms?

Was the front end performing poorly? If so, what were the symptoms?

I noticed some wear on the spindles the last time I tore into the front end (2yrs, 6K ago), so it was on my radar. I had also developed a worsening wobble between 45-50mph. I rotated the tires and had them balanced to no avail. So, I figured it was time to replace stuff.
I also swapped the drive flanges out for new... hoping to reduce some of the driveline clunk.

For now kept this on.
View attachment 1801570

Located a rear window defrost switch from a 60 series that fits the blank next to the dimmer knob. Use Have that to operate a 12 volt relay in the valley I need to find. Then will get them wired up. Planning on using heavier gauge wire than I figure I would ever need to possibly changes down the road.
does your ARB have light mount tabs in that location? Or did you weld them on?

does your ARB have light mount tabs in that location? Or did you weld them on?

This is a used ARB I bought around nine years ago. It's ar least a generation earlier than what is sold new today. The tabs upper and middle are stock. The bull bar was like new when I bought. The lights on the main bumper are held on with clamps and would need holes drilled to mount which I have no intention of doing.

IMG_20180830_122110659.jpg

Added the following! From Down under, cargo mat! Like it much!
73euYeD.jpg

--

BEFORE
Igv97wO.jpg

AFTER
hkg7nkB.jpg

So I checked out the part no. Looking for a full mat too. When I found the part, it looks as if it’s not like the one you got. Was yours filled in at the latch points and flush to the walls? Here’s what I see and it looks unlike yours - what I’m actually looking for. Tks.

65F8C294-1D32-493E-91B1-7D4E2E0BBC7A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom