What Did You Do To Your Diesel Today (WDYDTYDT) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well.... Why?
Somehow the exhaust valve got sucked up in the head. I'm relieved it wasn't a broken precup bashing around at least.

PXL_20230220_210429871.jpg

Somehow the exhaust valve got sucked up in the head. I'm relieved it wasn't a broken precup bashing around at least.

View attachment 3253698
what the hell.... howd that even fit up there, does that head have separate valve seats or something
im sure you're gonna change out them precups while you're in there and a mls HG......

I was recently down in Cuba, enjoying the sun, the beach, and the pre-60's American cars. Our hotel always had a number of them out from waiting for someone to hire them. Lots of different makes/models: Chevy, Chrysler, Pontiac, Ford. The drivers are very friendy and love to talk about their cars and cars in general. Since they haven't seen parts since 1959, so they all have to be very resourceful and ingeniuous when it comes to solving problems. Gas is very expensive there in comparison to diesel, so most have been swapped over.

I was chatting with a couple of guys and told them I have a diesel Land Cruiser. One guy, Javier pipes up "I've got a Toyota" and proceeds to take me over to his 57 Chevy, where I exepected him to show me some pictures. Instead he pops the hood and shows me his 1HZ!!!! Nice! I wish my engine bay looked that clean!

Javier and his 1HZ powered 57 Chevy:
Javier.jpg
1HZ-1.jpg
1HZ-2.jpg
1HZ-3.jpg

Couple of 79 series up at a mine in Northwesten BC. They are beat to an absolute pulp but still run like new. Have brand new front axles and rear drive shafts. Are used for everyday work including under ground access. One thing to note is the boot on the outer axle. I’ve never seen that but I’m also not up to snuff on 70 series mine trucks. These trucks have about 30k on them. Look like 3 million. Not an easy life.
4E509E2A-C920-4D5A-BC0A-C943AB9D2F0A.jpeg
C6D46DDB-7713-48C3-9EFA-7A33D4A45050.jpeg
06E9B54D-9CD7-45CD-9100-1C9A20A95C89.jpeg
52B15A03-B90E-4AD9-A2C3-47B6BFC9676C.jpeg
D6D3053C-43C1-49BD-B5C3-66DEF9E4B5C3.jpeg

Long time lurker...

I overfilled my 1 HD-T with oil this morning, felt a little bit of turbo lag as I was coming to the M1 exit, made the mistake of not creating more traffic misery for the people who commute on the M1 on the Gold Coast, ended up dumping oil into the turbo and had an overrun aka Runaway diesel, managed to starve it before it went bang but I'm thinking I'm up for a new turbo kit, possibly more.

Please ruin my day further by giving me the best and worst possible scenarios for this excellent motor with only 340k on it.

Cheerio

+9000 🤭 if you don't get the joke it's all good. The tachometer went to the 6 o'clock position on the 2nd run up and down, after that it was full revs and I wasn't looking at it as I was trying to get the extinguisher out and praying for no shrapnel.

Yikes. I'd be surprised if the rods aren't stretched

+9000 🤭 if you don't get the joke it's all good. The tachometer went to the 6 o'clock position on the 2nd run up and down, after that it was full revs and I wasn't looking at it as I was trying to get the extinguisher out and praying for no shrapnel.
My heart is beating fast just thinking about this 😬

Long time lurker...

I overfilled my 1 HD-T with oil this morning, felt a little bit of turbo lag as I was coming to the M1 exit, made the mistake of not creating more traffic misery for the people who commute on the M1 on the Gold Coast, ended up dumping oil into the turbo and had an overrun aka Runaway diesel, managed to starve it before it went bang but I'm thinking I'm up for a new turbo kit, possibly more.

Please ruin my day further by giving me the best and worst possible scenarios for this excellent motor with only 340k on it.

Cheerio
How did you starve it? I've read up on this in the past, but a good refresher is always nice to have. Also, sorry to hear about your HD-T. Fortunately you appear to be in a region where parts/spare motors are available so that's nice at least

Couple of 79 series up at a mine in Northwesten BC. They are beat to an absolute pulp but still run like new. Have brand new front axles and rear drive shafts. Are used for everyday work including under ground access. One thing to note is the boot on the outer axle. I’ve never seen that but I’m also not up to snuff on 70 series mine trucks. These trucks have about 30k on them. Look like 3 million. Not an easy life.View attachment 3259244View attachment 3259245View attachment 3259246View attachment 3259247View attachment 3259248
Great trucks mate!
What size are your Bridgestones?

I’ll get a picture of the exact size and dimensions. These trucks are limited to 28kph at the mine. Transmissions are locked out but the T case is not.

How did you starve it? I've read up on this in the past, but a good refresher is always nice to have. Also, sorry to hear about your HD-T. Fortunately you appear to be in a region where parts/spare motors are available so that's nice at least
It was pure luck that I had a hawk/osprey take itself and my snorkel out last weekend during a drive, I hadn't gotten around to refitting the bolt it ripped from the panel so I had the hole to jam the extinguisher (CO², had the little dry powder one on standby as well) into. Just dumb luck really. If the hole wasn't there I wasn't opening the hood as I was scared I was about to eat shrapnel or worse.

B91100E6-2ACC-44DC-A47F-39A5E0EFEC0F.jpeg

New to the diesel side of Toyotas but am working on getting this road worthy has a 2h with an h41, lots of miscellaneous “fixes” seem to have been done over time so that should be fun to dig into.

3EB4F23A-2E6F-4B87-8916-2482ECF336E8.jpeg

Did a compression test everything seems to be in order I did find out after taking this picture that the glow plugs are not the right ones. They are all marked 14v (my understanding this would be correct for a 24v system) and since mines a 12v so I think I need 6v.

View attachment 3265695
New to the diesel side of Toyotas but am working on getting this road worthy has a 2h with an h41, lots of miscellaneous “fixes” seem to have been done over time so that should be fun to dig into.

View attachment 3265696
Did a compression test everything seems to be in order I did find out after taking this picture that the glow plugs are not the right ones. They are all marked 14v (my understanding this would be correct for a 24v system) and since mines a 12v so I think I need 6v.
Type this part number into Rockauto's search function. They should be in stock and pretty cheap.

EDIT: I misread your post and realized you said 2h, these worked on my 1hz but you might need to double check the length. Either way though, rockauto is a good source for plugs in the US.
Screenshot_20230315_143454_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Type this part number into Rockauto's search function. They should be in stock and pretty cheap.

EDIT: I misread your post and realized you said 2h, these worked on my 1hz but you might need to double check the length. Either way though, rockauto is a good source for plugs in the US.View attachment 3273226
Spector has glow plugs also, ship same day out of California. Just got set for my 3BT , 24 volt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom