What did I get myself into? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's amazing to get to 98 posts without having started on dismantling. This is an early sign of an epic thread..:popcorn:
:flipoff2:

That's right. But I dismantled a few parts off of it a while back, but I put them back on for something or other.

Just you wait: someday I'll learn to wrench. :hillbilly:

Dan

That's just it, it was a while back, nearly a hundred posts ago, so far back in this thread that I've lost all memory of it. Kind of like a long Rush song, if you know what i mean. Was that a 45 you were working on?:hmm:

:lol:

Just having some fun! Looking forward to see what you come up with in this build!!

OK, this doesn't really count as an update, but this is definitely the last winter the 45 will spend in the snow in that spot...

It looks so left out, like if only I'd put a plow on it then the 45 could join in on the fun, don't you think?
View attachment 476458

Tomorrow I should have some pics of some parts that are here for it though...

Dan

The hell with the Cruiser. Let's talk about that Power Wagon you have there.

I didn't know you had one, you sly bastard. :grinpimp:

The hell with the Cruiser. Let's talk about that Power Wagon you have there.

I didn't know you had one, you sly bastard. :grinpimp:

They all belong to Mom and Dad (I mostly work on them). And it's not one. It's three. :flipoff2: Dad sold the '62 Town Wagon earlier this year, otherwise it would be 4.

58 pw.jpg

We'll have to figure out a time for you to come on up and play. See, we've got some lumpy Dodges too. :grinpimp:

Just a quick couple facts for you:
  • The green '62 has 22,000 original miles.
  • The brown '58 is Mom's. They bought it in Montana and drove it back without issue. Drives like it's brand new.
  • There's a '53 B3PW (body like the green one) that's an original New Mexico truck--sold to UNM to plow the road to Capia Peak. (I don't know why I don't have any good pictures of it--it's IMMACULATE)

See why I don't get much done on the 45? I'm like the fleet mechanic for Dad's collection of old, slow trucks. :hillbilly:

Dan
58 pw.jpg

OK, I DO have some 45 news, for real....

First, a little box came in from HJ47..... In that box he slipped this. Very, very cool. Anyone else think that would look wicked cool on the front bumper of the 45?
nt plate.jpg
The rest of the box mostly just had a 1HZ bellhousing, clutch fork and stuff for my H55f. Pics tomorrow (promise). That red dirt is super hard to clean! I see a lot of hours with me, that bellhousing, and a bottle of purple power scrubbing away...

And then from beno and CDan came what can only be described as machined sex.
input shaft 1.jpg
input shaft 2.jpg

Now I need to order the SSTs to swap the input shafts on the H55f, because the quote from the dealer to do it was WAY more than it would cost me to buy the SSTs, plus then I'd have them in case I ever need to tear this transmission down in the future.

I think I counted three SSTs in the FSM, but I think I'll go read it super carefully tomorrow and also check the FAQs to make sure.

Dan
nt plate.jpg
input shaft 1.jpg
input shaft 2.jpg

OK, I DO have some 45 news, for real....
First, a little box came in from HJ47..... In that box he slipped this. Very, very cool. Anyone else think that would look wicked cool on the front bumper of the 45?
View attachment 476642
Dan

Nice Christmas gift from Josh ....
here a pic of mine *( with a bit patina... old school ;) )

dsc00893lqop.jpg

unscrewed it somewhere in the middle of the outback from an old rotten, stranded truck in 1988
Cheers
Peter

*snow is from today ;)

They all belong to Mom and Dad (I mostly work on them). And it's not one. It's three. :flipoff2: Dad sold the '62 Town Wagon earlier this year, otherwise it would be 4.

View attachment 476632

We'll have to figure out a time for you to come on up and play. See, we've got some lumpy Dodges too. :grinpimp:

Just a quick couple facts for you:
  • The green '62 has 22,000 original miles.
  • The brown '58 is Mom's. They bought it in Montana and drove it back without issue. Drives like it's brand new.
  • There's a '53 B3PW (body like the green one) that's an original New Mexico truck--sold to UNM to plow the road to Capia Peak. (I don't know why I don't have any good pictures of it--it's IMMACULATE)

See why I don't get much done on the 45? I'm like the fleet mechanic for Dad's collection of old, slow trucks. :hillbilly:

Dan

My dad had a 60 Town Wagon. He bought it new and I have been looking for one for ages!

My dad had a 60 Town Wagon. He bought it new and I have been looking for one for ages!

It's really too bad the word wasn't out. Dad was pretty insistent upon finding someone who wouldn't bastardize the Town Wagon if he sold it....
town wagon.jpg

Originally a Navy truck. Absolutely beautiful mechanically. Didn't have the original motor in it, the previous owner (who was a Dodge nut, and now has a 40) replaced the 318 with a 360.

It looked WAY better when Dad got rid of those Bobcat tires and put on 255/85s.

Dan
town wagon.jpg

It's really too bad the word wasn't out. Dad was pretty insistent upon finding someone who wouldn't bastardize the Town Wagon if he sold it....
View attachment 476693

Originally a Navy truck. Absolutely beautiful mechanically. Didn't have the original motor in it, the previous owner (who was a Dodge nut, and now has a 40) replaced the 318 with a 360.

It looked WAY better when Dad got rid of those Bobcat tires and put on 255/85s.

Dan

Sonofabitch!

I WISH I HAD KNOWN............

My dad's truck was a civilian model with a 318 and a 3-speed colunm shift.

Sonofabitch!

I WISH I HAD KNOWN............

My dad's truck was a civilian model with a 318 and a 3-speed colunm shift.

Me too, it would have been nice to keep the truck closer to home for some reason...

Dad knows of a few other Town Wagons locally though, I'm sure he'll chat with you about them one of these days.

But, back to the 45 show...

I pickup this little goody... I'll have to drill and tap a hole for the pickup I think, unless I can add something to the crank pulley or something.
tach.jpg

And here's a test fit of that sweet, sweet input shaft fitting in the 1HZ clutch. This 1HZ originally had an R151f behind it, just for reference, and I have not touched a thing on it.
input 1.jpg

And my newly arrived bellhousing. I decided that scrubbing it just wasn't working, so I lightly hit it with the abrasive cabinet to clean it--and it gets that red Australian dirt off no sweat! I'll clear coat it (I guess that's the best way) once it's been fully blasted just so it won't hold more dirt and dust in the future.
bellhousing 1.jpg

Josh: thanks again for this.
tach.jpg
input 1.jpg
bellhousing 1.jpg

Then I put the input shaft together with the bellhousing just to make sure it seemed right (it does).
bellhousing 2.jpg

Obviously, the only way I can be positive is to put them all together and drive the truck, but so far, so good. Hopefully I can get the input shaft swapped sooner rather than later, and then I can really be sure.

And me being me, I just couldn't let the rusty, dirty clutch fork sit there. I ended up powder coating it while I had it out (also, the shop was cold and running the oven for the PC would give me a little heat). Yeah, a taste of bling ala Dan. :grinpimp: (you can see it in there if you look for the only shiny black bit in the picture)
bellhousing 3.jpg

That's probably it for a while, because my priority is getting the 40 running first, and I need to collect the SSTs to swap the input shafts (are the available through Toyota, or will I need to look elsewhere/get creative?)

Dan
bellhousing 2.jpg
bellhousing 3.jpg

Merry Christmas, Danny-boy!

Truth be told, I sent that stuff for purely selfish reasons; I want to see you build another rig!

I'm happy that bell housing fits!:D I'm always dubious when I can't pull an item myself, but it did say '1hz - h55', so I had to put some faith in my wrecker friends...

My wrecker friends have a 1HD-t with 229,000 kms on it which they will sell me for $7,000. I am very tempted - how good would that be in my LX? I will be able to learn everything I need to know about sticking it in on this thread, I reckon.

They also have a 12HT with 355,000 kms which would be a very easy install, that may be a bit smarter for me... but I want a 1HD-t.

Glad you like the plate, Dan. I would have sent you the pair, but the front one was ripped in half from the front end collision in which it was involved.

Man, I miss that snow!!

Josh

Last edited:
Merry Christmas, Danny-boy!

Truth be told, I sent that stuff for purely selfish reasons; I want to see you build another rig!

I'm happy that bell housing fits!:D I'm always dubious when I can't pull an item myself, but it did say '1hz - h55', so I had to put some faith in my wrecker friends...

My wrecker friends have a 1HD-t with 229,000 kms on it which they will sell me for $7,000. I am very tempted - how good would that be in my LX? I will be able to learn everything I need to know about sticking it in on this thread, I reckon.

They also have a 12HT with 355,000 kms which would be a very easy install, that may be a bit smarter for me... but I want a 1HD-t.

Glad you like the plate, Dan. I would have sent you the pair, but the front one was ripped in half from the front end collision in which it was involved.

Man, I miss that snow!!

Josh

Hahaha I like your style

Saweeet!

Very cool!!!! :) Very motivating. Are you going to install the input shaft yourself (I saw your other post about it)? If you do, I am interested to know what puller(s) you get for the process. I'd like to do rebuild mine myself. The cost of the tools equals or is less than paying someone else -- if you can do it without f'ing it up :)

Very cool!!!! :) Very motivating. Are you going to install the input shaft yourself (I saw your other post about it)? If you do, I am interested to know what puller(s) you get for the process. I'd like to do rebuild mine myself. The cost of the tools equals or is less than paying someone else -- if you can do it without f'ing it up :)

That's the plan. The local dealer quoted "low teens" for the hours to swap the shaft, and at $100+ an hour, I can buy a LOT of tools to make that happen. And, chances are someday I might want to do it again, hence the search for the tools...

I've got the standard bearing separators, pullers and press, but I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start pulling it apart.

The next hurdle will be making sure I've got the money budgeted for replacing whatever it is that is wrong inside it (probably a synchro ring, from what I hear), so that I can order one as soon as I tear into it, and hopefully not leave it in a big mess of parts and pieces (you can see the pace at which I sometimes work, so this is a definite concern :hillbilly:)

But in the meantime I can debate what the best way to clean the bellhousing is. I'm pretty sure it will fit in the oven, so I can powder coat it with a clear coat probably, or if clear coat paint makes more sense, or something else entirely...

Like Mr. the 47th said: this much pre-thread is clearly getting ready for an epic thread. :D

Dan

preview

this is like a preview of what I have coming (1hdt/h55 in a 71 40)---fed x says dec 24th and my parts are in Paris---we shall see

My eng came with the 80 series auto so I needed flywheel etc

I purchased the Safari clutch for a 1HZ

I have seen some metallic silver powder coat that looks like bright clean metal all the way to almost chrome

Not sure if I will spring for that but depends on other costs involved in prepping the engine and drivetrain

Nice to see the pics though so I have an idea how everything will go together

:cheers:

So you actually met the guy you bought the engine from? I bought all the transmissions he had b/c he was basically giving them away. Seemed like quite a strange bird.I never met him in person b/c I had the trans. shipped. I guess we both got killer deals. I wish I would have found him while he still had an engine left. Keep up the good work on the build.

I didn't meet him. He did sound like an interesting guy on the phone though.

He sold the engine to someone else, who didn't want it when he realized it wouldn't fit in his mini-truck, and HE (the second guy) sold it to me. I didn't even meet him, he met my brother and loaded the engine in the truck at my brother's place, along with one of the transmissions.

Then my parents drove the truck from MT to NM, and the first time I saw the engine I unloaded it in the shop.

The transmission (R151f) that was with it I sold to a Canadian MUD member.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom