What are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Turns out the guy in option 1 is a MUD member ... roma042987.

jcardona1 review is that it still had fitment issues ... bleh

Spent the past 2 hours or so reviewing various diff guards. Anyone have any input for a made to fit solution?

Saw this: Toyota 9.5" Landcruiser Diff Armor

I like the design, but the website looks like it was made in 1995.

Also this: Toyota Axle Housing Bash Plate 3/8" Thick, Diff Guard

But it's designed for the 8" diff and will require bending with a torch to fit. 3/8" vs 1/4" though

Found this too ... worlds longest link: Trail Gear Differential Armor - 300654-KIT
The second one for 8" from ruff stuff I welded on a axle for @Crusha For his rear axle I used a 10" weld on pipe cap. Maybe he has some pics.

The second one for 8" from ruff stuff I welded on a axle for @Crusha For his rear axle I used a 10" weld on pipe cap. Maybe he has some pics.

Did you have to bend it to get it to fit properly?

This is what Andy did to my rear axle housing.

Very pleased.

I'll get pics of the front later today, it's still at home in the barn.

24BC0EB8-0F3D-4F6C-98DB-C728DF795F45.jpeg
7B9D1E14-D676-4095-BC3D-01C6D9A7F9CE.jpeg

Hosed the mud off from the Rausch run -

2AB53536-EDAC-4E6B-B3AD-10EDA60398A1.jpeg

haven’t gone underneath yet to see what I smacked the worst.

Did discover I didn’t make it out quite as dent free as I thought.

352CA929-4E8C-49EB-B4D1-B054E720E368.jpeg

Lesson learned - next time I’ll pull the hubcaps.

Got the timing belt/water pump service done on the Lexus this past week. As far as I know that brings maintenance completely up to date on the old girl (215K miles on the clock). It was the second timing belt job. Thanks to Blair at Tommy's Automotive for doing the job for me I'm just getting a little too long in the tooth for a big job like this anymore. Laying over the front of the truck getting at everything would be really tough on my repaired chest!!!!! And it was good to hear what Blair thought about the Lecus, his appraisal pretty much mimicked what Rob told me about it when I bought it.
Got the top off the 40 too. Did most of it yesterday and finished up this morning. Was a bit cool (but invigorating) driving around town with the top off. The truck handles better without all that weight up top I can tell you that and it's certainly a joy to drive topless.
And had an early morning visit from Brian Brightbill this morning. He was here to pick up a nice set of steel gas lines that I pirated from a recently dismantled 60 series. Glad they're going to a new home where they'll be put to good use.

Nice 65 !!! With the V8 as well. I was a 60s Mustang guy back in high school. My wife loved that car. Almost bought another one a few years back, but ended up with the wheeling rig instead.

I've got a near match to that in a hardtop '66 version.

Any regrets?

Wife might have a regret or two, but I have fallen in love with my trucks all over again, found a new hobby and met some very cool new friends. No ragerts for me. If she ever really wants another Mustang I will sell my Z and get another '66 Coupe.

Working on getting Summer started right! :beer:

View attachment 1986456
Nice 65 !!! With the V8 as well. I was a 60s Mustang guy back in high school. My wife loved that car. Almost bought another one a few years back, but ended up with the wheeling rig instead.

A 65 Mustang convertible was my first stab at classic car work back when I was in high school. Mine was white, 289/4-speed, and a total rust bucket, but it ran. I took it in trade for buying and installing a fence for a neighbor - about $3k in materials and whatever a 16 year old's time was worth.

I blew up the transmission senior year "money shifting" to the wrong gear while trying to keep my friends E30 BMW from passing me. I sold it for $5k with a blown transmission, feel like I made out on the deal.

Coincidentally, right around the time I sold the mustang was when a new farm hand started at the dairy farm I worked at all through high school/college. That guy drove a 1976 Smurf Blue FJ40, and after a summer of dragging hay carts around in that thing, my priorities shifted from another Mustang, to finding a way to save up the scratch for a 40.

Fast forward 10-years, and I'd finally saved up the money I needed to buy the Clustertruck and drag it back to Delaware.

Attempting the control arm bolt tomorrow. Hoping it is simple enough. I remember Andy telling me to hook a big strap to the axle and other end to the frame then just tighten it and the holes should line up? This was when he was trying to convince me to put the bushings in myself last summer.

20190523_122306[2].jpg

Attempting the control arm bolt tomorrow. Hoping it is simple enough. I remember Andy telling me to hook a big strap to the axle and other end to the frame then just tighten it and the holes should line up? This was when he was trying to convince me to put the bushings in myself last summer.

View attachment 1989740
Still sounds like a good plan to me.

How about some lock tight for piece of mind. Maybe Red?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom