Wet cabin filter

Discussion in '200-Series Cruisers' started by jamesbe, Apr 16, 2018.

1. jamesbe

jamesbe

Well it happened again. Cold raining day all day and my cabin filter is soaked.

Only happens in spring and fall and only if its cold, well only then I notice maybe because I drive home freezing my ass off.

I built a little cover over the cowl area where the filter is, which I thought solved it, but apparently not fully.

I checked drainage holes etc, I don't understand why it gets soaked, it's almost like the fresh air cover should close when you shut the vehicle off to block the water.

Any insights into this? Remove cowl and you can see the airfilter right there, so I don't see how it doesn't always get wet..... but my other car also a lexus is the same design with no issues.

2. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid

3. jamesbe

jamesbe

Nope. Comes in from the cabin filter area. If you Google Toyota or lexus wet cabin filter seems to be common on Camry, tundra, es300. So not lc related.

4. Mutant

Mutant

What issues does this cause?

5. jamesbe

jamesbe

It causes no heat

6. Mutant

Mutant

That sucks. First I've heard of this issue. Was your vehicle pre-owned or possibly in an accident previously?
    Can you just remove the wet filter to get heat flowing again?

7. Mutant

Mutant

Maybe....this is a big maybe....you could install a K&N cabin filter. It may not hold as much moisture. Idk.

8. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

And have the water pool up and pour into the blower motor? Lovely.

9. jamesbe

jamesbe

It was pre-owned but not in an accident, everything was/is perfect on the vehicle. Windshield has lexus logos on it and well based on the amount of pitting I'll say it's never been replaced.

Anyways, yes removing the filter solves the issue, or just take it out dry it with a hair dryer and put it back and done. Just annoying really and concerns me that water gets into the HVAC system because of it (at least some moister).

I don't think a K&N would help unless it's made of different material. I have replaced the filter a few times now with a FRAM.

Here's a link to others with the same issue and a good explanation of the issue.
    Water in Thru Cabin Air Intake - My Solution - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

10. jamesbe

jamesbe

Here is a pic of what is under the cowl (this is a taco but it's the same). The cowl has a rubber edge to it that pushes against the windshield. That rubber gets stretched from heat, drying out etc over time and then doesn't seal it perfectly. Seems like a dumb design really, all Toyota's / Lexus seem to use the same design though.

I suppose a small bead of silicone right along the bottom of the windshield would help where the cowl sits. Or covering that hole. I covered that hole about 3 years ago, seem to fix it for awhile but not anymore. But perhaps it moved as it was just taped in place. I'll take it apart again soon and see what's going on.

cowl.jpg

11. Mutant

Mutant

Ya replace the rubber and silicone it for reinforcement

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.