200 series buyers beware - check your windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2011 with only 90k on it. It had impeccable service records, was super clean. Arizona owned it's whole life. Had it shipped to Colorado in November. It was a snowy couple of months. Snowed about 10" one night so I backed it into the garage so it would be ready to roll to the mountains in the morning. Morning came and it wouldn't start. All electronics inside were working. Checked all the fuses, etc....

Had it towed to local toyota. Received a message saying they found the problem. Turns out the windshield had been replaced by PO and not properly sealed. Water was running off the windshield and down behind the dash. Over time It had corroded a number of enough electronic harnesses which had to be replaced. This was not cheap. 10k plus. Still wouldn't start. After an additional 9k, thats right 19k total. Still wouldn't start. Eventually insurance decided better to total it than to keep chasing the problem down the line.

After researching quite a bit I have heard of another time this happened to a 2010. Point of the story is check to see if it is an OEM windshield in any used rig you are buying

I now have no crusier....sad

I just bought a 2013 with a new windshield and already have plans to hose down the windshield after removing the footwell and lower dash trim to check for leaks.. all based on your previous posts.

Also trying to find out from the dealer who did the windshield in the chance they have some kind of warranty.

Thanks for the PSA

I've a very clean 2011 LC I picked up a few months ago, my first. First thing I notice was some wind noise around 80MPH. I'm not sure if normal or not?

That said: I've inspected the "Safelite install" done two years early on it. I found RH molding not seated properly, possible deformed. This may be my wind noise.
059.JPG

I'll be pulling this windshield and inspect for nicks in paint, open holes (find on 100 series all the time) or anything not to factory spec, and reinstalling properly.

I learned with the 100 series to remove and install molding myself along with inspecting & correcting nicks in paint. These guys always mess windshield jobs up, that cause us damage sometimes years later. I do have them pull and replace glass, but with me watching every moment of it. Also I do not let them coat nicks with the primer they have on hand, without verifying its is a bare metal primer. What I found is, they use a primer that is actual and adhesion promoter for urethane. This will not protect bare metal (nicks in paint), it leads to hidden rust.

I'll be cutting my teeth on this 200 windshield. I'm hoping to find it's a better design. In that I mean "lends itself to a clean install without nicks" We'll see!

I recently purchased a 2011 with only 90k on it. It had impeccable service records, was super clean. Arizona owned it's whole life. Had it shipped to Colorado in November. It was a snowy couple of months. Snowed about 10" one night so I backed it into the garage so it would be ready to roll to the mountains in the morning. Morning came and it wouldn't start. All electronics inside were working. Checked all the fuses, etc....

Had it towed to local toyota. Received a message saying they found the problem. Turns out the windshield had been replaced by PO and not properly sealed. Water was running off the windshield and down behind the dash. Over time It had corroded a number of enough electronic harnesses which had to be replaced. This was not cheap. 10k plus. Still wouldn't start. After an additional 9k, thats right 19k total. Still wouldn't start. Eventually insurance decided better to total it than to keep chasing the problem down the line.

After researching quite a bit I have heard of another time this happened to a 2010. Point of the story is check to see if it is an OEM windshield in any used rig you are buying

That is terrible, sorry for your ordeal but thanks for the heads up! I'm surprised your insurance paid for the repairs? How did you swing that?

Today, my very new 2011 LX570 with original windshield got hit by an acorn and left a 2mm ish tiny dent. I really don’t want anyb
I just bought a 2013 with a new windshield and already have plans to hose down the windshield after removing the footwell and lower dash trim to check for leaks.. all based on your previous posts.

Also trying to find out from the dealer who did the windshield in the chance they have some kind of warranty.

Thanks for the PSA
New windshield, but is it OEM? I guess leakage is not about the glass but the installation and moulding

I would suggest that you check the sunroof drains too. I thought the water was coming in via the windshield too but it turned out to be the sunroof drains. Corrosion on the electrical panels on both kick panels and after the auto electric guy cleaned them up and we blew out the drains there was no more water ingress or electrical problems. The drains made more sense to me too because I’ve never had windshield leaks before.

Can you chase the sunroof drains with weed trimmer cord? There is a front and rear on each side?

I've a very clean 2011 LC I picked up a few months ago, my first. First thing I notice was some wind noise around 80MPH. I'm not sure if normal or not?

That said: I've inspected the "Safelite install" done two years early on it. I found RH molding not seated properly, possible deformed. This may be my wind noise.
View attachment 1677821
I'll be pulling this windshield and inspect for nicks in paint, open holes (find on 100 series all the time) or anything not to factory spec, and reinstalling properly.

I learned with the 100 series to remove and install molding myself along with inspecting & correcting nicks in paint. These guys always mess windshield jobs up, that cause us damage sometimes years later. I do have them pull and replace glass, but with me watching every moment of it. Also I do not let them coat nicks with the primer they have on hand, without verifying its is a bare metal primer. What I found is, they use a primer that is actual and adhesion promoter for urethane. This will not protect bare metal (nicks in paint), it leads to hidden rust.

I'll be cutting my teeth on this 200 windshield. I'm hoping to find it's a better design. In that I mean "lends itself to a clean install without nicks" We'll see!

Any follow up to this? Anything else to look at that could offer clues to proper or improper install?

Our LX is on its third windshield. All molding gaps appear identical to the 18s sitting on the lot. There is some very slight marring on the rubber beneath where the wipers sit, though. It appears whatever tool they ran across the glass left some marks.

Funny, we test drove another LX that had identical wind noise to to what you describe with the same piece on the driver side not installed correctly.

Last edited:
Today, my very new 2011 LX570 with original windshield got hit by an acorn and left a 2mm ish tiny dent. I really don’t want anyb

New windshield, but is it OEM? I guess leakage is not about the glass but the installation and moulding

No not OEM, it’s pilkington or something like that. Apparently not leaking, though I did have to replace all the trim clips. The trim wasn’t even and top edge of one side was flopping around.

Also yes the glass itself is very unlikely to leak, it will be the install if it leaks.

Just had my windshield replaced a month ago and just had the same whistling noise at 70 mph with a strong head wind. Sounded like some one was blowing air over a .22 shell. Ran the wipers and there was no change in volume or pitch. Did not try the mirrors. I will ck the trim pieces. Thank you

There’s a 45 min YouTube video of a glass guy replacing a 2016/17? LX570 windshield. There’s no screwing the A pillar rivets involved. 2001LC told me the newer cars don’t need to get those rivets out when replacing the glass...

Last edited:
Just had my windshield replaced a month ago and just had the same whistling noise at 70 mph with a strong head wind. Sounded like some one was blowing air over a .22 shell. Ran the wipers and there was no change in volume or pitch. Did not try the mirrors. I will ck the trim pieces. Thank you

I was struggling for a way to explain that noise.

I know for a fact my side trim is installed correctly.. maybe it has to do with the upper trim? I have a long roadtrip coming up.. might bring some blue painters tape and cover certain spots to see if I can get the sound to change.

The tower cleared me to an IAS of 95 mph this morning on the way to work but, my exit arrived a bit quicker and there was no wind. I could not repeat the whistle. The other day the head wind must have been quartering. I will keep some tape with me also on my next trip in a week

Can I ask how insurance covered electrical problems? Thanks!

I inquired about a new windshield with my local dealer reason being I had a huge issue with a company when they did a horrendous install in my 2003 LC from Same Day Auto Glass. I had leaks, they cut my satellite antenna wire, anyhow I will stop my whining.
The dealer told me they have a contract with a local installer, I asked if they use OEM glass and she said no but you can request that from them and they will order it through us.

If you find a decent windshield installer in the SF bay area, let us know. I need to replace my windshield. I haven't found the strength or time to deal with it yet, lol.

I inquired about a new windshield with my local dealer reason being I had a huge issue with a company when they did a horrendous install in my 2003 LC from Same Day Auto Glass. I had leaks, they cut my satellite antenna wire, anyhow I will stop my whining.
The dealer told me they have a contract with a local installer, I asked if they use OEM glass and she said no but you can request that from them and they will order it through us.

If you find a decent windshield installer in the SF bay area, let us know. I need to replace my windshield. I haven't found the strength or time to deal with it yet, lol.
Hi Chris, I would recommend Marin Auto Glass. They will use OEM glass on request. They are fast efficient and know their stuff. Cheers

I just put down a deposit on a 200 series in Oklahoma. Clean Carfax, 2 owner, dealer serviced, with no accidents. I plan to fly out there next week to drive it back to Michigan.

I decided to pull dealer service records just as a precautionary measure. Low and behold the previous owner was having electrical issues (parking assist, fog lights, and cameras). Turns out he was getting water in the drivers kick panel area and on top of the instrument panel. It went back to the dealer 3 times from March until May. The 200 went up for sale today at a small GM dealer in the same area. I’m guessing the PO traded it in.

Should I walk or is this salvageable?

I wouldn't buy an electronic gremlin. I live in a very, VERY, dry place, and would still pass. Ya just don't know.

I just put down a deposit on a 200 series in Oklahoma. Clean Carfax, 2 owner, dealer serviced, with no accidents. I plan to fly out there next week to drive it back to Michigan.

I decided to pull dealer service records just as a precautionary measure. Low and behold the previous owner was having electrical issues (parking assist, fog lights, and cameras). Turns out he was getting water in the drivers kick panel area and on top of the instrument panel. It went back to the dealer 3 times from March until May. The 200 went up for sale today at a small GM dealer in the same area. I’m guessing the PO traded it in.

Should I walk or is this salvageable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom