Welcome to the 200 Series Forums: Start Here and Read First (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New member here. Long time lurker. Picked up my 2015 about two years ago. Picked up my 5 RWs about a year ago and about to let Slee have a go at the suspension. Wanted to start contributing to this forum now that I’m really going down the rabbit hole with this rig.

New member here. Long time lurker. Picked up my 2015 about two years ago. Picked up my 5 RWs about a year ago and about to let Slee have a go at the suspension. Wanted to start contributing to this forum now that I’m really going down the rabbit hole with this rig.

Welcome! Look forward to seeing photos as you get you build under way. :)

Long Time LC fan Short time follower and soon to be LC owner. I’m on my second Escalade and absolutely hate it.... reliability has been terrible and every 6 weeks I feel like I’m on the phone with the mechanic telling me there’s another $2500 worth of work that needs to be done. Sooo I’m done.

I know I want the 200 series... I’m torn as to whether I want pre or post 2016 though . I can afford either... the question is do I want to afford and is it really worth it. Challenge is I like the look of the 16’+ .... but I don’t know that I want the extra bells and whistles other than the look. Anyone else battle this? What pushed you to choose one over the other? If there is a topic that already addresses this let me know I don’t want to beat a dead horse.

Thanks

jb

Long Time LC fan Short time follower and soon to be LC owner. I’m on my second Escalade and absolutely hate it.... reliability has been terrible and every 6 weeks I feel like I’m on the phone with the mechanic telling me there’s another $2500 worth of work that needs to be done. Sooo I’m done.

I know I want the 200 series... I’m torn as to whether I want pre or post 2016 though . I can afford either... the question is do I want to afford and is it really worth it. Challenge is I like the look of the 16’+ .... but I don’t know that I want the extra bells and whistles other than the look. Anyone else battle this? What pushed you to choose one over the other? If there is a topic that already addresses this let me know I don’t want to beat a dead horse.

Thanks

jb

If you plan to leave it mostly stock...maybe go ahead since you like it’s look. BUT...if you plan to build it (bumpers, etc.), just know that your bumpers and various build elements will have far more dramatic effects of the over all look than the hood and headlight changes will.

It’s been a common debate. Some prefer the newer features while others prefer the typically lower price of earlier vehicles and apply cost savings into other upgrades.

I settled on mine because it was a good deal and my preference was lower miles and newer tech.

When I was considering the Land Cruiser I just started reading every thread all the way through. Made it to pg 280. Took a while but had a much better understanding of what I was getting with this model/series.

I’ve noticed that many are looking more at the LX. There’s double the inventory and the AHC systems are holding up better than some anticipated.

Good luck and welcome.

If you plan to leave it mostly stock...maybe go ahead since you like it’s look. BUT...if you plan to build it (bumpers, etc.), just know that your bumpers and various build elements will have far more dramatic effects of the over all look than the hood and headlight changes will.
Thanks good point had not thought of that. I do want to put a grill guard on... that could have a big impact and I may not even see the hood and grill then. Adding to my list of things to consider.

28300C14-2930-43B6-BB4B-9466DCCE0E9F.jpeg
Hey fellas, 1st time 200 series owner here. Have a FJ40 already but I am loving this truck. 2013 w/ 62K. Picked it up in Greenville, SC back in July. One prior owner and immaculately maintained. Wanna upgrade the suspension first. Trying to decide on OME BP 51 or Icon. Would love some thoughts. Excited to start building it!

Did not realize that we had an intro thread here on the 200 series forum.

Had a 1978 FJ55 I accidently bought new, but sold a year and a half later. Since then: 1971 I-6 Jeep Commando, 1985 V-8 Grand Wagoneer, 1984 2.8L V-6 Jeep Cherokee, 1991 351M Bronco, 1974 I-6 Jeep CJ-5, and a 2004 Chevy Silverado SLT Extended Cab 4wd. Went insane and bought a Subaru Outback then: couldn't tow anything with it, so bought an already lifted 1997 4Runner with big wheels and tires.

Wife finally agreed that we really NEEDED a Land Cruiser. So we bought a 2011 TLC two or three months ago. Thrilled to have one again. I've been playing around with wheels and tires a little and dreaming big dreams. We'll see what comes of it all. Going to a meeting December 13th of the Heart of The South Land Cruiser group. I'm pretty stoked about meeting other folks that admire these fine vehicles. And I'm very glad that I found this great forum. Thank you all for the effort you put into it.

Last edited:
New member here, I am in Canada (Ottawa) but currently going through the process of US immigration as my wife is a US citizen and we are moving to US below the snow line somewhere..lol.
Looking at getting a Land cruiser (2008 or so) when we move and get set up, been reading and following discussion forums and learning as much as I can.

Thanks
Mike

Hey guys.

Newish member here, very long-time lurker. I just now discovered this thread, so I figured I post a brief intro.

I'm not a Land Cruiser owner, currently, so my contributions will be minimal. I was in the 100 series market six years ago, but I couldn't find "the one" and, sadly, went in a different direction. I am now back in the market, but for a 200 this go around.

Thanks for the knowledge you all provide - it's helped me out a ton in both my 100 hunt and now my 200 hunt.

Cheers!

Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new member of this website and really excited to learn more. I have been a Land Rover owner for many years and currently have a modified Discovery 4 (LR4) which is being sold to a buddy in February. I have loved Land Cruisers for many years and have been thinking of switching over for several years. Well, yesterday I purchased a new 2018 Land Cruiser and was absolutely blown away by the simplicity, engineering, build quality, and amazing ride. I take delivery in February 2019 and I am very excited to learn more. I plan to do some modifications, but taking it slow and really getting to know the brand and learn from everyone here. I already know some of you from Instagram (D. A. West (@finlayforprez) • Instagram photos and videos), or through Overland Bound (I am member #0001, but not active), so will be nice to see some familiar faces. It's been quite a journey to go from Land Rover to the Land Cruiser, but it really does suit my needs more and future use. It's magentic grey with the terra interior and will post pictures upon delivery.

It's really nice to meet everyone and look forward to exploring these forums and being a part of this community. Thank you!

Regards and blessings, David

Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new member of this website and really excited to learn more. I have been a Land Rover owner for many years and currently have a modified Discovery 4 (LR4) which is being sold to a buddy in February. I have loved Land Cruisers for many years and have been thinking of switching over for several years. Well, yesterday I purchased a new 2018 Land Cruiser and was absolutely blown away by the simplicity, engineering, build quality, and amazing ride. I take delivery in February 2019 and I am very excited to learn more. I plan to do some modifications, but taking it slow and really getting to know the brand and learn from everyone here. I already know some of you from Instagram (D. A. West (@finlayforprez) • Instagram photos and videos), or through Overland Bound (I am member #0001, but not active), so will be nice to see some familiar faces. It's been quite a journey to go from Land Rover to the Land Cruiser, but it really does suit my needs more and future use. It's magentic grey with the terra interior and will post pictures upon delivery.

It's really nice to meet everyone and look forward to exploring these forums and being a part of this community. Thank you!

Regards and blessings, David

Welcome!

You have found a great community that is always ready to help. Great choice moving to the LC. You will continue to be blown away by the build quality—especially when you crawl underneath and see just how much strength this vehicle sits on.

See you around...

M

Last edited:
Thanks, M!

I really appreciate your kind welcome. I love my Land Rover, but to be honest, I really need something extremely reliable and durable. Land Rovers get a bad reputation and a lot of hate, usually from peopel who have never driven one, but I am ready to move to the Land Cruiser platform. My dad joined me at the dealership and they put it in on the lift and I was blown away! The build quality and amazing ride won me over. I also got a GREAT deal on a new leftover 2018 with only 11 miles. I'm not sure how much I will build it up and the direction I will go, but look forward to learning and sharing. Thank you!!!

Regards, David

Welcome!

You have found a great community that is always ready to help. Great choice moving to Athens LC. You will continue to be blown away by the build quality—especially when you crawl underneath and see just hose much strength this vehicle sits on.

See you around...

M

Thanks, M!

I really appreciate your kind welcome. I love my Land Rover, but to be honest, I really need something extremely reliable and durable. Land Rovers get a bad reputation and a lot of hate, usually from peopel who have never driven one, but I am ready to move to the Land Cruiser platform. My dad joined me at the dealership and they put it in on the lift and I was blown away! The build quality and amazing ride won me over. I also got a GREAT deal on a new leftover 2018 with only 11 miles. I'm not sure how much I will build it up and the direction I will go, but look forward to learning and sharing. Thank you!!!

Regards, David

Reliability is truly what separates the LC from the LR. There are actually a LOT of LR converts here. Long term reliability is just not even statistically close—even from mechanics who were paid to work on the LR. For me, reliability is the most important reason I own the LC on s modest budget. As a guy who often wheels alone (without other trucks to help in a pinch) —and without any LR hatred—it’s just about impossible to find a more capable, supremely-reliable vehicle.

You’ll replace the radiator, water pump and possibly the starter somewhere around 7 or 8 years from now. Other than those known, routine life-spans on those specific parts...the thing just works.

Thanks for the response! I agree completely, while the newer Land Rovers (especially the 5.0 V8 engine) are way more reliable than the old ones, there is still the threat of issues. It's an amazing vehicle, but it's very quirky and the air suspension just scares me to death during overland/off-road trips. At this point in my life, I actually want something that is well built, comfortable, durable, reliable, and a bit subdued as far as luxury. The 2018 LC that I bought is very luxurious, but it's so less in your face than its LX cousin or some of the European SUVs. I really want that more "blend in with other cars" look. I fully admit it's NOT a vehicle for everyone, as very few people really use it or appreciate it for the marvel of a machine that it is, and those who spend > $85,000 on an SUV want luxury, technology, and a name. I am opposite, I LOVE the fact that the LC is so darn simple, and while it has technology, it's still a relic. The engine bay made me smile - it actually has a dip stick!!! :) I also love the fact that it takes regular 87 octane gas. I know the gas mileage is terrible, but I am currently getting 10-11 miles to the gallon on the highway and can only go 250 miles on a fill up - so it's an improvement for me. I am really looking forward to delivery the end of next month!

Reliability is truly what separates the LC from the LR. There are actually a LOT of LR converts here. Long term reliability is just not even statistically close—even from mechanics who were paid to work on the LR. For me, reliability is the most important reason I own the LC on s modest budget. As a guy who often wheels alone (without other trucks to help in a pinch) —and without any LR hatred—it’s just about impossible to find a more capable, supremely-reliable vehicle.

You’ll replace the radiator, water pump and possibly the starter somewhere around 7 or 8 years from now. Other than those known, routine life-spans on those specific parts...the thing just works.

Thanks for the response! I agree completely, while the newer Land Rovers (especially the 5.0 V8 engine) are way more reliable than the old ones, there is still the threat of issues. It's an amazing vehicle, but it's very quirky and the air suspension just scares me to death during overland/off-road trips. At this point in my life, I actually want something that is well built, comfortable, durable, reliable, and a bit subdued as far as luxury. The 2018 LC that I bought is very luxurious, but it's so less in your face than its LX cousin or some of the European SUVs. I really want that more "blend in with other cars" look. I fully admit it's NOT a vehicle for everyone, as very few people really use it or appreciate it for the marvel of a machine that it is, and those who spend > $85,000 on an SUV want luxury, technology, and a name. I am opposite, I LOVE the fact that the LC is so darn simple, and while it has technology, it's still a relic. The engine bay made me smile - it actually has a dip stick!!! :) I also love the fact that it takes regular 87 octane gas. I know the gas mileage is terrible, but I am currently getting 10-11 miles to the gallon on the highway and can only go 250 miles on a fill up - so it's an improvement for me. I am really looking forward to delivery the end of next month!

It’s funny, because even after fully building my LC and no longer “blending in..” other folks who ask me about it (almost daily) rarely guess it’s a Land Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom