weather stripping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy it while it's still available and reasonably priced because costs are going up quick on hard to find parts or worse yet simply NLA.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing check out these :

Weatherstrip - Front Door Outer Window Channel - Right - OEM

These are oem toyota weatherstrip. They do have metal strip inside that you can't see but if you bend it (which I don't advise unless you are trashing) it will stay to that shape just like Gumby has wires inside him. Older peeps know what I'm talking about. The Chrome outer piece is NLA.

They will fit inside the chrome trim. Notice the pointed ends on the white clips. Those go inside the hole in the door. My original clips had a short barb that fit in the hole. If I recall you need to save any unbroken clips from the front to do the back doors. They do not have a hole in the door as best I recall but the short clips must grab a seam.

Also fwiw I have both 60 and 62 doors on my 60 do to a prior wreck and the moulding/clips etc are the same.

I came back to your post here. I now think I understand what you are saying. The weather strip you show attaches to the visible chrome outer moulding via the clips. As you can see in my photos, mine all had the older short barbed clips. What I didn't remember from this post is that the pointed ends of the clips go into the holes in the door (which are roughly 1/2" wide by 3/16" high). If you are confirming that these newer clips work in the door holes, then my problem is solved.

I find it peculiar that all the Toyota parts diagrams for the FJ62 only show the outer belt mounding (75720) as an assembly of the visible chrome trim AND the "clipped on" weather strip. In fact, it seems that the weather strip and clips can be had...but as an FJ60 part. Correct?

Btw, my 62 doors all have the same holes; six in the front doors, and four in the back doors.

Yes, the rubber piece attaches to the metal trim with the clips. the pointy barb goes in the slot in the door. I don't know why but for some reason I remember the pointy barbs on the newer clips not working on my back doors. Maybe the reach was off. But the old clips did work. I think it's possible that when you remove all the clips and start trying to get that old rubber clipped back on your metal trim that the metal strip inside it is worn and the rubber piece won't stay straight. Mine rusted and broke inside the rubber about 2 or 3 inches from the front and started to separate from the metal trim. When I removed it I found it impossible to get it straight and could feel bits of crumbled rust inside the piece. In any case you've come this far why not get the new toyota oem piece while it's still available and clip it on. The rubber, clips and the metal trim are all the same for 60 and 62 models.

Last edited:
here are some images of my door after replacing my beltline weatherstrip aka "fuzzies"

DSCN0024.JPG

DSCN0025.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0027.JPG

DSCN0028.JPG

on a related door weatherstrip issue here is a thread about the window run channel weatherstrip. door window weatherstrip

Why was your mechanic was working on the door?

I just called Cruiser Corps to discuss. Ordered all four.

The painter removed rather than mask them.

Thanks for the photo. That looks exactly right...and great.

The front doors are very easy to install. You may luck out and not even have to take the door panels off. Pull the old clips off and clean up the metal trim. Take the new white clips off the new piece. Place the rubber in the metal trim. Push the new clips on so that the "U" shape in the clip holds the two pieces together. Then slide them to the right position so they will line up with the slots in the door. With the window down, set the piece on top of the door and angle it inward and see that the barbs are starting to go in the slots. When all the barbs are in the slots, bump it with your fist til you hear the barb "click" in place. The back door on mine I got lucky on one side. I pulled the old fuzzy out and EDIT all the clips stayed in place in the door.. Just replaced the rubber and shoved it back without undoing anything. Then went to the other back door and when I pulled the rubber the clips broke, fell into the door. (EDIT) the chrome (really stainless) strip runs the whole length of the back door under the small fixed window. To do it right required removing the chrome trim and placing the rubber inside it and clipping in place just like the front doors. To remove the back window you have to take it off the regulator, I just took the regulator loose and set the window down inside the door. Then I had to remove the small back window. To do this you have to find a hidden screw on top of the door under the door seal. Also have to remove the division bar from inside the door. It's the piece that separates the fixed window from the crankdown window. Then slide the small window forward and tilt it inward and pull out.

Last edited:
This is why I drove a ragtop 40 from the time I was 18 until 40y/o......so much simpler. I did have street bikes but
their weather stripping was also simple.
I blamed getting the 55 , then the 60 on my dog...he got old and needed A/C.
Now I've gotten soft and enjoy the A/C so with it, the windows, sound deadening, weather stripping, etc.
We were so much tougher people 40 and 50 years back. My parents drove back and forth cross country in a 52 Packard
in the 50s and early 60s. I recently got to drive a immaculately restored 53 Packard. I think my topless 40 was no worse to drive.
Someday, when Star Trek transporters are the norm, we'll look back and wonder how the people of today put up with the hardships
of driving even a Rolls Royce

Both types of clips in the belt moulding will work. The originals that don't have a long barb just grab the door metal under the lip. The new clips that come with the weatherstrip have to go in the slotted holes in the door metal. FWIW my new (now a couple years old) clips are starting to get brittle and some have broken at the U that holds the rubber to the chrome. This caused my rubber moulding to come loose. I found some of my originals, pulled out the rubber and the chrome and put them on and they are holding. Just my opinion but the oem type clip with the short barb seem beefier and will prob hold up longer. Also you don't have to line them up with the slots in the metal inside the door. I have no idea where you can find them.

here are some images of my door after replacing my beltline weatherstrip aka "fuzzies"

View attachment 1851802
I’ve noticed on a number of trucks, mine included, the front end of this chrome trim doesn’t sit flush with the body. Yours seems to. My previous owner replaced the rubber, which is great, but I’d like to get the end of the trim to sit flush like it was originally.

I’ve noticed on a number of trucks, mine included, the front end of this chrome trim doesn’t sit flush with the body. Yours seems to. My previous owner replaced the rubber, which is great, but I’d like to get the end of the trim to sit flush like it was originally.
I do remember having that problem. Not sure how I fixed it but it may have to do with how you clip the trim to the door. BTW, I'd try these clips instead of the cheap plastic pointy ones that come with the rubberweatherstrip. FJ6X Series Chrome Weather Stripping Clips - (Sets of 5) - https://cruiserhead.com/products/fj6x-series-chrome-weather-stripping-clips

I do remember having that problem. Not sure how I fixed it but it may have to do with how you clip the trim to the door. BTW, I'd try these clips instead of the cheap plastic pointy ones that come with the rubberweatherstrip. FJ6X Series Chrome Weather Stripping Clips - (Sets of 5) - https://cruiserhead.com/products/fj6x-series-chrome-weather-stripping-clips
Thanks. I just got a set of 20 of those last week. I figured I’d be pulling the trim off as I troubleshoot the issue and could be clip related, plus I would likely break some of the existing clips in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom