Weak Condenser Fan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fooldall1

Handy Enthusiast
Threads
With this heat, at idle, my A/C is not cooling sufficiently. I suspect my Condenser fan may be weak- it seems to cool much better when moving. The condenser fan is original (from 2000) and I know no way to test the Condenser fan, outside of replacing it and hoping it cools better. There don't appear to be any leaks, and I replaced the system (Condenser, evaporator coil, Compressor, etc) myself about three years ago. But I re-used the Condenser fan. I also cleaned the Evap coil with the specified cleaner- pressures look good, etc. but it cools weakly at idle or parked.

I purchased a replacement Condenser fan, and plan to replace before August hits- but any thoughts

Few things:

1) When did you last replace the Fan Clutch? (use AISIN or OEM if you plan to replace)

2) Compressor is weak. Do you get cold air when parked at higher RPM's?

3) Have you clean the fins on AC condenser and radiator recently?

The condenser fan is original (from 2000) and I know no way to test the Condenser fan, outside of replacing it and hoping it cools better.

Can you watch the fan to see if it's spinning slowly? Maybe do a current draw test on it? You could simply be low on refrigerant and the system works better 'when you are moving' because the engine RPMs are generally higher. Maybe you could do a system pressure test with a kit and see how the pressures move around during A/C operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom