Water Pump Failure? Intro Post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After months of looking, I finally picked up a 2000 LC with 219k. The previous owner said it was well maintained and had another 06 himself. He was actually the second owner and his neighbor was the first. He was given some error codes by Toyota equaling up to about $5k. Thinking I could diagnose these codes myself with the help of Ih8mud, I pulled the trigger for $7900. The first code was the steering angle sensor, which Toyota wanted about $3k to fix. The second code was with the SRS light which was the other $2k to replace the SRS module, and there was the common door actuator issue giving him some trouble. After a new steering rack and alignment, new door lock actuator motors (and cleaning the sensors on door lock cylinder) and sending off the seat belt pretensioners to Safety Restore, those issues are all solved!

Now, I'm on to my next issue which is a coolant leak. He said the timing belt was done twice but as far as the water pump, etc he wasn't sure. I've been driving for about a month now and initially there were no leaks, but the last week or so I started noticing some red fluid coming from what appears to be a weep hole near the crankshaft pulley. Initially it was just a few drops but today, I drove about 10 miles and when I parked there was a steady drip and about a cup of coolant on the ground. I've already replaced the heater tees and there isn't anything coming from the radiator hoses. I really can't see any fluid above that area besides maybe some around the sensor in the last photo (not sure what it is) Can anyone confirm that this is the weep hole for the water pump? Or could it possibly be something else? I know there are tons of threads but I haven't been able to find a photo of the water pump weep hole anywhere...

IMG-4072.jpg

IMG-4128.jpg

IMG-4164.jpg

IMG-4167.jpg

Likely a water pump failure. Possibly leaking at the weep hole or the gasket has failed.

You can pull the timing belt inspection covers to peak inside and see what is going on.

My personal experience:
8442FBDE-F89A-4D2D-914C-23A4D3F4A6AF.jpeg

The rubber o-ring ruptured (I did not put a lubricant when I put back the components. Did it again, used die-electric grease so the rubber o-ring won’t twist and stretch, that created a perfect seal and no more leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom