Water leaking from somewhere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1990 4Runner with the 3.0 V-6, I noticed the truck leaking water, this is a pic from the under side, it's leaking from the drivers side were the lower radiator hose goes in(I believe right were the thermostat is) The truck does not leak much water until the truck is turned off, then is starts leaking, I've heard this could be a water pump issue, is the water pump directly behind the fan, would it leak out the drivers side if the water pump was bad, could it be a gasket, is it like the 4 banger were the front is a separte piece? Thanks for any help, just wanting to know were to start! Jason
Crystal Mt. 03-28-07 143.jpg

If it is coming from the water pump, it's a bit of a job to change it as the timing belt needs to come off to get to it. I would first make sure it's not just a hose leaking, I know it's hard to see in there, but in this case it could mean saving you hours of work changing the water pump if it was only a hose.

August of 05? Where have you been!???? :D Oh yeah.... driving a Yoter!

I have a 1990 4Runner with the 3.0 V-6, I noticed the truck leaking water, this is a pic from the under side, it's leaking from the drivers side were the lower radiator hose goes in(I believe right were the thermostat is) The truck does not leak much water until the truck is turned off, then is starts leaking, I've heard this could be a water pump issue, is the water pump directly behind the fan, would it leak out the drivers side if the water pump was bad, could it be a gasket, is it like the 4 banger were the front is a separte piece? Thanks for any help, just wanting to know were to start! Jason

Ok, 1st thing you should know is that all water pumps have "weapholes" a small hole out side the seal's from the propelar its usualy the first thing to go so if you get to that point your on your way to a W.P replacement :) you must asertain if its the weap hole first, so as not to change the part that has nothing to do with the problem...........bad thing is the 3.0 desighn is not friendly to common maintanince W.P, T.B, tensionar, (cam)Timing,..................but I think thats enough for now.

2nd, cold water contracts and hot water expands, also the could water is not flowing (T.stat is closed) hot water is flowing and has expanded.

3rd, I do hope you have another form of transportation, while you (or ?) fix it. It does not take a lot to overheat this motor.

4th, IMO, get a Toyota W.P, front main (oil) seal, and Timming belt they are the best parts to use.

5th, it is nothing like the 4banger, the timing belt runs the waterpump, and the T.B is behind all the stuff you see when you open the hood.

Dont be discouraged you are not the first to have this problem.

Please get a service manuel. look here.

Idea, call C-Dan ?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree it looks like it is coming from the waterpump weep hole. I just did this on my 4runner, not too hard, just took my time and double checked everything. The weep hole on the bottom of the WP is set off to the driverside, that is why you see it coming out that side. Mine leaked for months, it wouldn't leak while being driven, but if it sat without being started, it would start to leak once it had sat in the sun for awhile. I also changed my timing belt, upper idler, tensioner(lower idler), spark plugs, and all belts while I was in there.

a coolant pressure tester tool should be used to find the leak.

The problem is that you can't see in there till you tear it all apart. I pressure tested mine, and all I was able to tell was that yes something is leaking back there where I can't see. I guess I did find out that it wasn't any of the hoses, but since it only leaked when not running I could already tell that. The good thing is that since it is leaking when it isn't running, it is easy to tell where it was leaking from once you start tearing into it.

is it possible to tear off the black timing belt cover, and re install the hose, and then use the pressure tester?

seems like this would allow for some significant inspection, be fore a full fledged tear down.

is it possible to tear off the black timing belt cover, and re install the hose, and then use the pressure tester?

seems like this would allow for some significant inspection, be fore a full fledged tear down.

you could technically do that, but if you pressure test it before and find that it isn't the hoses or the thermostat, then the WP is pretty much the only thing back there that will leak coolant. The only other thing is the upper idler may be leaking, but usually you will get coolant on top of the block if that is leaking.

water probably coming from FRAM OIL FILTER , these filters are junk and not worth the 3$ box they put them in which means the filter actually cost about .75 cents!! the FRAM air filters are even worse!! your water leak like everyone says could be from a bad hose which are $$$ to replace but not as bad as water pump!! if ya change the water pump ya might as well change all the other good stuff behind the pump or you will pay to tear it down probably sooner than later!! when was last timing belt done? idler pulleys,seals and not to mention radiator fluid service!! stuff will snow ball on ya if ya do not do routine/minor maintenance, just happened to me cost 1300.00 bucks for the works and truck runs and sounds like a new truck!! idler bearing was screaming hard and best 98 bucks i have spent in a while!! i get a 25% discount at local dealership on parts which helped greatly and talked them into 10% off on labor and it was still 1300.00 but worth every penny!! trucks engine make 2 times less noise now that i changed all those parts!! not to mention a timing belt failure is terminal and i probably only had 10K left on mine!! :eek:

Leak is definitely the wp. Have replaced hundreds myself, get a t-belt kit and crank seal, cam seals usually dry. get a new t-stat with gasket, comes off with pump; and for god sakes use oem parts and get yourself a good filter. such a great truck deserves it. Make sure not to green coolant in that either.

Im sorry, looked at picture again thought you said 3.4 Use green coolant.
Thats what happens when you drink yourself stupid on friday nights

View attachment 131542
Did you figure it out ? My 1990 4Runer is also leaking from the same spot (near Thermostat housing and just below water pump)

Back from 2007. Most of those folks haven't been on MUD in forever.

holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

The last the OP was on the board was about a week after he posted this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom