Warn 8000 (no so) routine maintenence (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kayaker

SILVER Star
Threads
So I bought my Warn Model 8000 new in 1974 and it has been on the front of my Land Cruiser ever since. I've done a pretty good job of keeping the oil level up and replacing the oil with the recommended SAE 30 motor oil and the old winch has been a dependable as my FJ40 for 43 years. Turns out I missed a routine maintenance step, which is to "periodically take off the cap of the armature governor and check the lubricant inside the cap." I guess my definition of "periodically" is once every 43 years.

So I did my periodical maintenance on my Warn Model 8000 and inspected the lubricant level. It appears that my inspection interval may need to be adjusted downward a bit. The lubricant was in pretty bad shape and probably not doing much lubricating. Fortunately, no damage was done.

Here are the pics of the before and after. If, like me, you've been skipping this maintenance step, might be time to put it on the list with all those chassis grease fittings.
IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

So I bought my Warn Model 8000 new in 1974 and it has been on the front of my Land Cruiser ever since. I've done a pretty good job of keeping the oil level up and replacing the oil with the recommended SAE 30 motor oil and the old winch has been a dependable as my FJ40 for 43 years. Turns out I missed a routine maintenance step, which is to "periodically take off the cap of the armature governor and check the lubricant inside the cap." I guess my definition of "periodically" is once every 43 years.

So I did my periodical maintenance on my Warn Model 8000 and inspected the lubricant level. It appears that my inspection interval may need to be adjusted downward a bit. The lubricant was in pretty bad shape and probably not doing much lubricating. Fortunately, no damage was done.

Here are the pics of the before and after. If, like me, you've been skipping this maintenance step, might be time to put it on the list with all those chassis grease fittings.View attachment 1460146 View attachment 1460147

View attachment 1460148

View attachment 1460149

View attachment 1460150

Is that a 5687 or 8274? Looks like a 5687.. Thanks for the tech info, I'll need to check mine..

Is that a 5687 or 8274? Looks like a 5687.. Thanks for the tech info, I'll need to check mine..

It is indeed a 5687. When I purchased the winch in 74 it was marketed as a "Warn Model 8000" and that is what the owner's manual (dated 2/16/1973) identifies it as. I think I missed the 8274 by a few months at most. No complaints though, this baby was worth every penny (and pennies were precious back then).

Nice work!!

What lubricant did you use?

The owner's manual says "the cap should contain about one teaspoon of Lubriplate No. 360-2 or equivalent." Lubriplate is still around but not generally available at automotive stores (in my area). Specialty bearing shops stock it. However, a look at the spec sheets show it to be an NLGI #2 lubricant. I had two containers of NLGI #2 grease (one lithium and the other synthetic) and I went with the synthetic which is a Valvoline product.

Here's a link to the relevant Lubriplate webpage. 630 Series | Lubriplate Lubricants Co.

It has a link to the spec sheet for the 360-2. I found a retailer for the product about ten miles from home, but when I saw the NLGI (National Lubricating Grease Institute) designation, I decided what I had qualified as an "equivalent".

The owner's manual says "the cap should contain about one teaspoon of Lubriplate No. 360-2 or equivalent." Lubriplate is still around but not generally available at automotive stores (in my area). Specialty bearing shops stock it. However, a look at the spec sheets show it to be an NLGI #2 lubricant. I had two containers of NLGI #2 grease (one lithium and the other synthetic) and I went with the synthetic which is a Valvoline product.

Here's a link to the relevant Lubriplate webpage. 630 Series | Lubriplate Lubricants Co.

It has a link to the spec sheet for the 360-2. I found a retailer for the product about ten miles from home, but when I saw the NLGI (National Lubricating Grease Institute) designation, I decided what I had qualified as an "equivalent".

Good information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom