Victory 4x4 rear shelf (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I was looking to get a Kaon cargo shelf, but saw that Victory 4x4 offers one too, made in the US, and their owner is a 'mud member, so I picked one up.

It arrived quickly and was well packaged, with several expanding foam packs so everything arrived safe and sound.

I had previously replaced my cargo area grab handles with aluminum inserts from Kaon, so I didn't have any disassembly. I just removed the knobs I had installed previously.

I decided to replace the SAE hardware with metric, which I keep handy. Three nuts and bolts connect the upright to the tray, and four nuts and bolts attach the tray assembly to the mounts.

Victory has a good assembly video on their website. It took me about 20 minutes from having the box open to having it installed.

This thing is stout! I think the box said 35 lbs...

Note, the plastic knobs are not from the Victory install kit. I had them before. The kit does come with all the hardware necessary for the install though.

DFA899DA-7582-47D9-8D8C-7466039EA320.jpeg
F1727D83-FA3C-4E3E-B809-2A9709EDBC82.jpeg
4704B03A-9DA0-45C0-8BAB-3B891582C691.jpeg

4C45C4C6-483C-4FFA-96B5-EA2E6B94436A.jpeg

D38AC0BE-7EAC-426E-9D33-EFB20A384102.jpeg

9D7308AB-C569-433D-A0AB-8AB6E0B99D3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Is anyone with a Kaon shelf willing to help me post a comparison of dimensions, so future 'mudders can have some data points to work with?

Victory 4x4 measurements:
  • overall length of the shelf itself - approx. 16-1/2"
  • overall width of the shelf itself - approx. 41"
  • height from center of headliner to the storage surface - approx. 6-3/16"

Then some locating dimensions - drawing an imaginary line from the two rearmost mounting bolts for a reference line, and measured:
  • how far forward from that line the front of the the shelf extends - approx. 11-1/2"
  • how far rearward from that line the rear of the the shelf extends - approx. 5"

Last edited:
That looks cool. Doesn't look like it would work with my ARB drawers and fridge though

Reactions: CT3
I don't have the Kaon shelf, but I have been following along that thread, where Kaon redesigned their mounts and sent all previous owners new mounting brackets. The Victory model seems to mount the similarly to the old Kaon system.

The new mounts hold up the shelf from below rather than only hanging from the grab handle mounts. I guess Kaon decided the grab handle mounts weren't robust enough.

I am aware of that thread with Kaon, and have zero concern.

With the Kaon mounts (aluminum blocks in the handle mounting holes) it is solid. I'm a big guy, and I pulled on it and it is going nowhere.

The Victory mounts are plastic expansion nuts, and I am not as comfortable with that setup.

I'll let you know if I run into issues over this season, I plan to do lots of off-roading and trips this year.

Last edited:
I believe the issue was from repeated abuse driving on rough roads. Just pulling on it may not come close to simulating the same amount of abuse. I suspect the issue is a combination of how much weight is on the shelf, how rough the roads are, and how many miles are spent on those rough roads. From the pictures, the Victory shelf looks like a very close copy of the Kaon shelf. It looks like Victory builds quality stuff and is a good company, but in this case I would much rather give my business to the company that came up with the original design, especially when they do such a fantastic job of supporting their customers and following through with a fix as they did. I realize you ordered this one partly because Kaon was out of stock though.

Correct. I've been trying to order a Kaon shelf, but they've been out of stock.

I use my 200 as intended, so it sees a lot of off-road, trails, dirt roads, camping, long trips, and regular family duty. I don't imagine I'll have issues with the support, but I'll gladly admit it if I am proven wrong.

I do not see 1000 kilometer corrugations like the aussies do though. Check out some of the roads they drive and it gives an appreciation for why they might want additional structure reinforcing their shelves. I've never seen anything close to these kinds of corrugations in my travels.

Last edited:
That looks cool. Doesn't look like it would work with my ARB drawers and fridge though
I'm interested to see if it works for me. I'm switching to ADGU drawers which are taller (13") so I lose 3" in height compared to my current (Reef) drawers. Then I lose 6 or so inches from the center of the ceiling. I have an Alucab fridge tilt and slide that I want to use on top of the cargo drawers, but I'm not sure I'll have the room to fit my fridge. I'll report back on what I learn once all the pieces are in hand and see what room I'm working with. I may need to get a smaller fridge - that wouldn't be the end of the world, we've had this fridge since 2012 and I'm sure the efficiency/insulation/technology has advanced significantly since then.

There is approximately 34-3/4" of height between the bottom of the shelf and the floor of the cargo area. I have cargo drawers in, so it isn't an exact measurement - I'm adding the height of the drawers to the height of the gap below the rack to get that number. If when I have the drawers out next, I'll get a direct measurement.

Last edited:
So it’s only 6” or so of clearance to store items on the shelf? I thought someone I read on Victory4x4 it was closer to 9” or 10”?

Last edited:
6-3/16" height from rack floor to roof at center.

I use my 200 as intended, so it sees a lot of off-road, trails, dirt roads, camping, long trips, and regular family duty. I don't imagine I'll have issues with the support, but I'll gladly admit it if I am proven wrong.

I do not see 1000 kilometer corrugations like the aussies do though. Check out some of the roads they drive and it gives an appreciation for why they might want additional structure reinforcing their shelves. I've never seen anything close to these kinds of corrugations in my travels.

great vid showing why you need a cap between the front bar and OEM fenders/body.

It is kind of shocking how much movement there is between the frame and body just driving down normal roads. Since having the tjm bullbar it has been very noticeable to me. I guess that is how you get some of the famous comfort and isolation of the LC is having squishy body mounts between the frame and body...

These AUS corrugation videos really make it very pronounced!

It is kind of shocking how much movement there is between the frame and body just driving down normal roads. Since having the tjm bullbar it has been very noticeable to me. I guess that is how you get some of the famous comfort and isolation of the LC is having squishy body mounts between the frame and body...

These AUS corrugation videos really make it very pronounced!
This is indicative of the issue with all of these shelves. The body will twist and flex a LOT off and on road. Triangulating interior points in the body will cause damage over time- to either the accesssory or the truck. Kaon learned this the hard way, but IMO their answer was to make it worse by triangulating even more. To each his own, and I don't like to bash anyone else's product, but I know a lot of you guys are buying these shelf-type products and should know. I think the correct answer would be to design the accessory to move with the truck- a difficult and likely noisy solution.

I can absolutely see the reason the frame and body move independently (rubber body mounts), but I would expect the body shell itself to be fairly rigid. Would there really be lateral or other flexing movement between the third row handle mounting points?

I didn't know that. Thank you.

This is indicative of the issue with all of these shelves. The body will twist and flex a LOT off and on road. Triangulating interior points in the body will cause damage over time- to either the accesssory or the truck. Kaon learned this the hard way, but IMO their answer was to make it worse by triangulating even more. To each his own, and I don't like to bash anyone else's product, but I know a lot of you guys are buying these shelf-type products and should know. I think the correct answer would be to design the accessory to move with the truck- a difficult and likely noisy solution.
"Triangulating" = tying them together with something rigid?

This video in slow motion always impresses me. The bumper is moving all over the place but the body is unbelievably steady.

Find more overhead storage threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom