Very Low Compression/milky oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll try draining a little oil tonight and see what comes out first. Hopefully just oil.

Leak down tester should come in today, I'm excited to see where I'm losing air. I'm hoping it's in the valve/head as that seems like an easier fix than something in the block. If it's coming it everywhere I'll likely be engine shopping.

JohnnyC, I've been running it for a year like this and if it didn't struggle so much on inclines I wouldn't have gone looking for problems. I'm happy to hear it will likely continue chugging along just as it is. Not looking to go fast, just don't want to be a nuisance on every incline. In this part of N. California everywhere worth taking the cruiser to seems to be up a hill.

I appreciate all of the input and feedback.

Are you losing coolant? Let it sit for a day and crack open the oil drain plug slowly until it just starts to drain. Water/coolant should come out first. If you have water, then you know something is not sealed. It could be several different places.

Thanks for this tip. After sitting for two days, only oil came out when I cracked the drain plug out. My water issue may hopefully just be condensation as suggested.

I did the leak down test this evening on a warmed up engine. I tested each cylinder with the piston at the top and made sure valves were closed.

Cylinder 1 loss: ~10%, air coming up through oiling passage in head

Cylinder 2 loss: ~10%, air coming up through oiling passage in head

Cylinder 3 loss: ~20%, air coming up through oiling passage in head

cylinder 4 loss: one time 20% another time 70%, leaking through the exhaust valve

cylinder 5 loss: ~20%, leaking through the exhaust valve

cylinder 6 loss: ~20%, leaking through the exhaust valve

plugs 1-3 are black with some residue built up on them.

plugs 4-6 are ashy white/brown sort of like a lean condition. -Would leaky exhaust valves cause this?

those test numbers do not seem to correspond with an engine thats putting up compression numbers so low...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom