Vent Windows and Upgraded Mirrors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed vent windows recently (I grew up calling them wing windows...) and noticed that they get really close to the stock US mirrors. I had intended to eventually upgrade my mirrors to the Aussie style, but suspect that my vent windows would bump into them. Does anyone know if that is true or not?

I have Aussie mirrors and wing windows on my FJ62. I’ll post a picture of that they look like opened up in a few minutes.

Sorry dude! Totally forgot about this. Here you go.

E208596F-A3AE-4BFD-91FC-380613C7B33F.jpeg
1C01DA30-E0D5-4C07-91EE-0B02F9D00FB9.jpeg

Cool and rare, but not cheap. And I’ve made sure to keep the original glass and regulators in case I break one on the trail. Not a fast replacement.

Generally speaking - not LC specific - those windows made a huge difference in the days of 4-60 air conditioning. I still love windows down in most any temperature - but you can't talk on the cell phone and most everybody has turned into a pu$$y about it.

And vehicles have changed to match the times. With the FJ Cruiser anything over 45 MPH with the windows down is just punishng - because we have AC and it's form over function these days.

P.S. had a rental Dodge Challenger last summer. Windows down 80 mph all day zero wind noise or buffeting. Awesome.

Sorry for the OT nastalgia rant.

Sorry dude! Totally forgot about this. Here you go.

Ok, those look like they open far enough to get a decent blast of air, they go past perpendicular. BUT, I like to have mine open to hit me right in the abdomen, does the mirror prevent that? It looks like it might not quite make it.

Yes, in the picture they are opened as far as they will go. It’s not mirror dependent, I think they will open the same amount with whatever mirror you put on there. They might open a touch farther with stock FJ60 mirrors because they are a little bit lower I think.

WTH? Why doesn't my 87 60 have wing vents? I didn't know this was a possibility.

Mine definitely swing a ways past the stock mirrors. I'll have to fiddle and see how much of a difference it might actually make.
Installing them was a bit of a bitch. Did you have any trouble getting the door card and wing window in at the same time? I ask, because maybe I was doing things the hard way.

WTH? Why doesn't my 87 60 have wing vents? I didn't know this was a possibility.
They aren't the easiest, or cheapest, upgrade to find. I actually had to choose between these and something else based on budget, but it makes a s***load of difference when you don't have AC, and my wife and I are windows open kinds of people.

How much are the wings? Brand or source?

I paid a little more than 600, and got them from Cruiseryard.
They aren't a simple swap-out, you have to drill holes and make minor modifications if you want to keep the outdoor squeegee on your window.

wow. I'll put that on the list behind wagon gear's rear pop up window!

I know this is a older post. but Ive always wanted a set of these windows for my 60. part parts need to be changed out specifically? where did you find them on cruiseryard? email? call them?

thank you for any information.

I know this is a older post. but Ive always wanted a set of these windows for my 60. part parts need to be changed out specifically? where did you find them on cruiseryard? email? call them?

You will switch the regulators and the glass. I just ordered them through the website. If you're not finding them it might be because they aren't in stock. Maybe? I'm having trouble finding any listed anywhere right now.

Last edited:
part parts need to be changed out specifically? where did you find them on cruiseryard? email? call them?

I got mine from Trail Tailor a while back....
Some parts are still available
View mirrors need relocation for the vent window to open all the way...

1595441931277.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom