Van Load bars? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for the cheapest roof rack solution in hopes of transporting 2 kayas and maybe even adding a cargo box of some sort. I have looked at everything from $1000 and up safari racks to those cheap van load bars. With that being said is it possible for me to use the van bars? I have a 1996 80 Series with a naked roof.

You can use gutter mount load bars. You can get them from companies like Yakima.

You can use gutter mount load bars. You can get them from companies like Yakima.
I undersand that, but those solutions are still a little out of reach from what i'm looking to spend, The van bars go for $80 per set

Those should work if they are made for gutter mount. I ended up with a yakima setup from craigslist but those van bars look stronger.

My yakima setup came with really long bars (someone used it on a van) and I cut them to size with a hacksaw. Keep that in mind when searching.

I made my own. The expensive part of this was the Gamivity gutter mounts, but there should be cheaper options out there.

13931856886_b204f3b689_h.jpg

13931856316_e1a9d2b25f_b.jpg

Would these be tall enough? If they are id buy these right now!
Yep, it's what I'm using, even clears the factory roof rack.

You just have to make sure the bars are the 56"(?) ones, not the 48" ones.

I have two sets (4 total) of these:
Rola Haul-Your-Might V2 Van Ladder Rack - 2 Bar - Steel - 300 lbs Rola Ladder Racks 59622

Last summer I was hauling around a 14' canoe (strapped to the bars) and a 12.5' Kayak (in a cradle). The vertical pieces of these ladder racks might seem offputting, but they were welcome tie-down points. I mounted the canoe outside the inner 2 and inside the front & rear rack horns which effectively locks it into place before even getting tied down. I took them off for the winter to reduce roof drifts. It is about time to put them back on.

At some point I really should take a picture of those mounted with the boats and four bikes hanging off the back past the spare tire swing-out. Picture being worth a thousand words and all.

But - for hauling a pair of boats and no intentions of getting a RTT, those ladder racks have been just what I needed.

I have two sets (4 total) of these:
Rola Haul-Your-Might V2 Van Ladder Rack - 2 Bar - Steel - 300 lbs Rola Ladder Racks 59622

Last summer I was hauling around a 14' canoe (strapped to the bars) and a 12.5' Kayak (in a cradle). The vertical pieces of these ladder racks might seem offputting, but they were welcome tie-down points. I mounted the canoe outside the inner 2 and inside the front & rear rack horns which effectively locks it into place before even getting tied down. I took them off for the winter to reduce roof drifts. It is about time to put them back on.

At some point I really should take a picture of those mounted with the boats and four bikes hanging off the back past the spare tire swing-out. Picture being worth a thousand words and all.

But - for hauling a pair of boats and no intentions of getting a RTT, those ladder racks have been just what I needed.
This is exactly what i needed to hear, I have no luck with CL adds for the last 9 months and buying a brand new product just seems easier.
Scott

I made my own. The expensive part of this was the Gamivity gutter mounts, but there should be cheaper options out there.

13931856886_b204f3b689_h.jpg

13931856316_e1a9d2b25f_b.jpg
I was going to suggest this route. I remember when he used to offer a load bar option years ago before going to the roof rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom