Vacuum switching valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi have 2/1971 FJ40
I have a vacuum switching valve. It connects to my carb choke, dizzy, and base of the carb
The vacuum seems to come from the air filter assembly.
I can't find any information of the switching valve of what controls or works. Where do the connected wires come from.
Thanks
Rick

From the Haynes manual:

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

The valve has a 2 male terminals sticking out the back. There is a mating 2 pin female connector coming out of the main harness on the drivers side fender. The wire colors on the harness side are Yellow/Red and White/Black. Unless you are doing a full restore AND have all the gear shown in the pic above it's sort of usless.

I also have a 2/71. My website might be of some use to you.... http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/main.htm
Here is a shot of the wiring on that side. The plug labeled VSV is where the valve plugs in. http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/Page5AImages/P1110004.JPG

Thanks for the replies. My truck is complete. My brother bought in new in 1971. It's been sitting in a barn for 18+ years. I finally got it running. Installed all new brakes and clutch master and slave cylinders.
Just put a rebuilt carb on and now it's running fairly good.
I got all the electrical lights working.
So now I'm going over the systems and found the vacuum switching valve. It all appears to be there. Just have to connect it up. I see the vacuum from the carb also goes there, as does the vacuum advance from the distributor. So I guess it's pretty important to have working.
I think there is a speedmaker hooked into the speedo cable that this connects to. I'm looking for that tomorrow.
I would like to get it back to stock as much as possible.
Thanks for your help.
Rick

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421923702.106811.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421923729.072048.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421923745.556217.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421923763.592587.jpg

Here's a few pics of my 2/71

I have the vacuum switching circuit complete. I'm trying to understand what it's function is. Apparently my system goes from 10/70 to 9/71. Short lived.

I did a lot of research on my vacuum switch valve.
My dizzy is a vacuum retard which explains why it runs with no vacuum advance but de-accelerates slower than I like.
My vacuum switch valve has 4 ports and a 5th port to the air filter.
I found my speed marker relay by the clutch pedal.
Found the speed marker hooked into the speedo cable near the transfer case. It's broken, which explains why my speedo doesn't work. I just found a used one that turns and appears ok although I don't know how to test it. It's off a late 70 and should be the same one needed for my 2/71 FJ40.

All the wiring is intact. I'll be installing the speed marker hopefully this week
I applied 12V to the vacuum switch valve and it works fine

The only problem now is figuring out the vacuum hose hookups to the vacuum valve switch. I believe with the system working properly, vacuum will be applied to the retard advance on the dizzy when slowing down.

I have found some pics of the system but really never explains which vacuum goes to which port on the vacuum switch.

Does anyone have that info? It looks like this vacuum switch was only used in 1970 and 1971
Thanks
Rick

Thanks coolerman for looking. I see you have the same truck I have. 2/71 FJ40
Is your valve switch hooked up? Or is it removed?
Do you have some pics of your truck?
Thanks
Rick

Long removed. I upgraded to the FJ60 dizzy/igniter ignition and had Jim C. do my carb so basically I am desmogged. I still have the VSV, the speed marker and Emissions computer but they are in a box. For pics of my truck see the web site in my sig line. !Oy is an ongoing project interrupted by life, work and IH8Mud!:D

I know the feeling about interruptions. Annoying sometimes.
I tried your link several times. Says no page found. I get to your company page but that's it.

Hi Bertsulli
I have that manual from SOR. the thread posted is for a 1972. Which is different than the 1971. It's in the book, but doesn't show the detailed connections diagram that they show for the 1972. Thank you for replying
Rick .

Hi Coolerman
Thanks for the link. I've been reading it. I'm up to the turn signal switch part. I'll continue later. Interesting reading.
My brother bought my FJ40 brand new in 1971. The first thing he did was have it undercoated by Z-Bart.
The frame and floor are rock solid today. The rear sill is rusted but that's the worse of it.
The truck then went to my dad, then the another brother, then to another brother where it sat in his barn for the past 20 years in Tulsa, OK.
He wanted to sell it, so I wanted to keep it on the family. So I bought it March 2014. I had it brought here to FL. I had no idea how cool this truck is. I see why my brother bought it new. His name was Al. Al passed away in 2005 and to have something he loved makes it even better.
I have it running now. Redid the brakes. Redid the seats. So now it's usable. I'll start on the body one of these days.
Thanks for sharing your story. I'll finish reading it tomorrow.
Here's a few pics of Alstruck
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423221797.926383.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423221820.076524.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423221843.093008.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423221871.409696.jpg

I am having s problem with the brakes. The pedal goes down almost to the floor then world good for a while unless I pump it once.
New brake booster, master and wheel cylinders. I bleed the hell out of the system. Any ideas?
Thanks
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom